Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   C Section Births (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Facing my second breech c-section :( Help me with my birth plan. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1411739)

Riverdavidsmama 06-25-2012 07:56 PM

Facing my second breech c-section :( Help me with my birth plan.

So despite my plan of a VBAC, I am coming to terms with the fact that I have my second breech baby. I am 35 weeks now. I have done everything to turn her (as I did with my last baby - and nothing worked with him either) including breech tilts, chiropractic care, inversions, hypnosis, seaweed supplementation, cranial-sacral therapy, moxibustion and acupuncture. I am continuing to try all the things I know of to turn her, and I have cried a thousand tears over this but I'm coming to the realization that this is how my birth is likely to go.

Writing my birth plan is step one. Soooo....

Am I missing anything? Any ideas for mom's postpartum care? TIA.

Birth Plan for Briar Rose Edwards
Parents: Alissa and Jared Edwards
Date of Delivery: Tuesday, July 24 at 7:30 a.m.
Obstetrician: Michael Williams, M.D.

This birth plan is intended to express the preference and desires we have for the birth of our baby during a planned cesarean. It is not intended to be a script. We fully realize that situations may arise such that our plan cannot and should not be followed. However, we hope that barring any extenuating circumstances, you will be able to keep us informed and aware of our options. Thank you.

Before Surgery
• I would like an ultrasound performed prior to surgery to confirm that my baby is still in the breech position.

During Surgery
• I prefer epidural anesthesia.
• I would like the catheter put in place after anesthesia has taken effect.
• I would like my husband, Jared, present with me at all times.
• I DO NOT want my arms restricted.
• I would like a double-layer uterine closure.
• I would like my baby to stay in the operating room with us until we’re both able to be brought to recovery together.
• Please allow the cord to stop pulsing before clamping or cutting it.
• I prefer dissolvable stitches and steri-strips be used as opposed to staples.

Immediately Following Surgery/Recovery
• I would like to nurse the baby as soon as possible in recovery.
• I would like my baby and I to be brought to recovery together.
• I DO NOT want my baby bathed.
• I DO NOT want colloidal silver or Erythromycin applied to my baby’s eyes following birth.
• I DO NOT want the Vitamin K shot administered to my baby unless the birth is deemed to be traumatic, in which case I should be consulted first.
• I DO NOT consent to any vaccines of any kind being administered to my baby.

Postpartum Care for Mom
• I would like all IVs removed as soon as is reasonably possible.
• I would like the catheter to be removed as soon as I am able to walk/use the bathroom on my own.
• I would like to be switched to oral pain medication as soon as possible after birth. I would like to be awakened to receive timely doses rather than having to request pain medication.

Postpartum Baby Care
• I would like my baby to room in with me at all times. My mom will be staying with me in the hospital to assist me with breastfeeding, changing, etc.
• I am exclusively breastfeeding. Please do not give my baby any pacifiers, bottles or artificial nipples of any kind, at any time.
• I DO NOT consent to the baby being removed from my presence at any time. If the baby must go to the NICU or elsewhere for an exam or other procedure, my husband, myself or another person I will assign will accompany the baby at all times.
• I DO NOT consent to ANY vaccines of any kind.
• I DO NOT consent to an X-ray or MRI of any kind.

CM6755 06-25-2012 08:21 PM

Re: My C-section Birth Plan

The only thing I can think of for postpartum momma care is for them yo keep you on schedule with pain meds. I had one crazy nurse that told me, 'if you want narcotics, u must ask for narcotics, I cannot just bring you narcotics without you asking for narcotics.' this was after I (unknowingly) went 2 hours over schedule on percocet and felt like ai was dying...she acted like I was some pill head out on a corner! I was just sliced open for heavens sake! She also made highly in appropriate comments to my b/f at the time (the baby's father)...cant wait to write on my birth plan that she is BANNED from my room!

Riverdavidsmama 06-25-2012 09:12 PM

That is TERRIBLE! I added more on there and reposted. Thanks for the idea. I added that. :) So sorry that happened, mama.

palsmama 06-25-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CM6755 (Post 15308409)
The only thing I can think of for postpartum momma care is for them yo keep you on schedule with pain meds. I had one crazy nurse that told me, 'if you want narcotics, u must ask for narcotics, I cannot just bring you narcotics without you asking for narcotics.' this was after I (unknowingly) went 2 hours over schedule on percocet and felt like ai was dying...she acted like I was some pill head out on a corner! I was just sliced open for heavens sake! She also made highly in appropriate comments to my b/f at the time (the baby's father)...cant wait to write on my birth plan that she is BANNED from my room!

Just an FYI. All narcotics are on a per need basis by patient request only. You can say thanks for the Vicodin I would like my next dose of one or two (which ever is working for you) in 4 hours from now, even if I'm sleeping please wake me up to give it. Narcotics aren't a scheduled med like Ibu is.

Op: your birth plan sounds awesome! I wish every csection mama was as prepared as you! Our hospital just became a certified baby friendly hospital so we do skin to skin in the OR with our csection mama's! I love it! :)

Connor 06-25-2012 09:53 PM

You're only 35 weeks, she still has time to turn. :) Prayers for you.

mekat 06-25-2012 10:25 PM

Re: Facing my second breech c-section :( Help me with my birth plan.

Personally, for the first day I would want the IV to stay in, that way you can use the PCA pump to get pain relief when you want it. They take that IV out then you are at the mercy of the nurses and how overloaded they are to deliver those pain meds. Personal decision I know but the thought of being in pain while waiting for a nurse to finally show up makes me cringe.

cacasey1981 06-26-2012 03:23 AM

Make sure your dr is on board before-hand and be prepared to sign waivers for the eye ointment and the vaccines.

You may also want to add in them encouraging you to walk when it's safe to moving can help prevent clots in your legs.

Good luck

Riverdavidsmama 06-26-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palsmama (Post 15308865)
Just an FYI. All narcotics are on a per need basis by patient request only. You can say thanks for the Vicodin I would like my next dose of one or two (which ever is working for you) in 4 hours from now, even if I'm sleeping please wake me up to give it. Narcotics aren't a scheduled med like Ibu is.

Op: your birth plan sounds awesome! I wish every csection mama was as prepared as you! Our hospital just became a certified baby friendly hospital so we do skin to skin in the OR with our csection mama's! I love it! :)

That's good to know. We are in a small hospital, so I think I could ask them to wake me as needed and know they would follow through with that. How would skin to skin work in the OR since I'm laying down and my arms won't work well? I'd love to do that...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connor (Post 15308918)
You're only 35 weeks, she still has time to turn. :) Prayers for you.

Thank you, mama. I am still doing all the stuff to turn her, but my first and second kids were "stuck" after 28 weeks (my first head down, thankfully). They were both 9 lbs at birth and I can tell she is the same. She has been breech since 28 weeks as well. I would love NOTHING more than to have a crazy story happen at 39 weeks, but I'm making myself sick about it right now and have to mentally and emotionally prepare for this possibility. My second was supposed to be a home birth with a midwife and I spent my last several weeks stressed and sobbing about that one as well. Trying not to do that this time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mekat (Post 15309023)
Personally, for the first day I would want the IV to stay in, that way you can use the PCA pump to get pain relief when you want it. They take that IV out then you are at the mercy of the nurses and how overloaded they are to deliver those pain meds. Personal decision I know but the thought of being in pain while waiting for a nurse to finally show up makes me cringe.

Hadn't thought of that - I just know I had a really bad reaction to the IV drugs last time and itched myself BLOODY head to toe. I could NOT stop. I'm thinking the sooner I can get off that the better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cacasey1981 (Post 15309544)
Make sure your dr is on board before-hand and be prepared to sign waivers for the eye ointment and the vaccines.

You may also want to add in them encouraging you to walk when it's safe to moving can help prevent clots in your legs.

Good luck

He is/will be. He's a family practitioner and knows my stance on a lot of these things already. He was very supportive of my VBAC and has done weekly ultrasounds from 28 weeks on so I could check her position and keep trying to flip her as needed. He is the one who suggested some of this stuff (like keeping her in OR, going to recovery together, etc.)

Dawndelion 06-26-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverdavidsmama (Post 15311532)
Hadn't thought of that - I just know I had a really bad reaction to the IV drugs last time and itched myself BLOODY head to toe. I could NOT stop. I'm thinking the sooner I can get off that the better.

I'd make sure that they are aware of the bad reaction you had last time so they can choose something different. If you aren't sure what the medication was, they can look it up in your records.

I agree with PPs that the timing on the oral meds can be difficult. When I was in with my c-section, it always took them forever to come with my meds. So I called early and they wouldn't give it to me because it was ten minutes before the scheduled time (sure, that time they come right when I call), and they never came back for another hour. :banghead:

mekat 06-26-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverdavidsmama (Post 15311532)

Even if you go with your original plan pull your old records find out what they gave you then sit down with your ob and try to figure out which medication you reacted to. The IV probably isn't the problem more then likely it is one of the drugs. I had a very bad reaction to morphine couldn't stay awake puked non-stop etc after some reproductive surgery. I discussed my morphine issues with my ob and she had to do some planning but was able to eliminate it completely. The only option for my planned C-section (breech baby) was a spinal block because that was the only nerve block that didn't use morphine and they then gave me Demerol afterwards. Recovery from surgery was night and day difference once the drug I couldn't handle was eliminated.