Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Help me plan meals with the little I have left... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1412117)

happysmileylady 06-26-2012 05:35 PM

Help me plan meals with the little I have left...

and buying as little as possible.

We are really tight on money this week and next. I won't bore you with the details of why. We have already eaten through most of our pantry and freezer but I want to squeeze every last drop.

So, here's what I have...

2 dozen eggs (willing to buy more, I think they are on sale 99c somewhere)
A small amount of white flour...like 3 to 5 cups
A similar amount of whole wheat flour
A similar amount of rye flour
2 gallons of milk (will need to buy more, it's on sale at Wags till Sat. so will stock up on Sat.)
15 bananas (willing to buy more)
10 boxes of pasta
3 whole large turkeys (would like to avoid using more than one)
13 bags of frozen veggies-broccoli cuts, peas, green beans and corn
4 cans of diced tomatoes
1 small can of tomato sauce
1 box of stove top
2 boxes of rice a roni
Oats (probably around 10 cups or so)
5 (ish? can't remember exactly) individual cups of greek yogurt, frozen
lots of jars of BBQ sauce, different kinds
1 large bag of leftover bbq beef (enough to for one dinner for our family)
1 large bag of leftover pulled pork, no sauce on it, enough for one dinner
2 lbs of ground turkey, frozen
grapes and cherries, but these are for snacking
a cup of diced celery, frozen
6 cans of low sodium chicken broth
Enough yeast for plenty of baking
half a loaf of bread
7 blocks (8oz ea) cheddar cheese
8 blocks (8oz) pepper jack cheese
2 blocks (8oz) mozz cheese (all the cheese is frozen)
5 cans of kidney beans
1 pkg 10 tortillas
half a box of multi grain cheerios
baking powder
baking soda
white vinegar
apple cider vinegar
dry milk powder
5lbs sugar
DH's coffee
corn starch
Some spices but missing some basics like thyme, oregano, onion powder and a couple others, but do have several envelopes of taco seasonings

I can get 10 jars of salsa for free on Thursday so I plan to grab that. Other than that, that's really everything I have in my fridge, freezer and pantry. I want to avoid buying anything but milk, eggs, and that free salsa, if I can, and need breakfasts, lunches and dinners until 7/6. Honestly, I don't know if it can be done and am afraid I am going to have to break down and get a few other things...like flour in particular, before then. That's 10 days, so 30 meals. There's me, pregnant, DH, who eats at least 2 servings worth of whatever, DD1, who is 16 and trying to drop 15 to 20lbs, and DD2 (3.5) who eats a little bit of everything....like all day. DD3 doesn't eat much of anything and I have baby food for her. DH is gone at work 12 hrs each week day and needs to bring a lunch, and is home on weekends.

happysmileylady 06-26-2012 06:25 PM

Re: Help me plan meals with the little I have left...

I forgot to put the 7 smoked sausages we have too.

Leocaligirl 06-26-2012 07:38 PM

Either enchiladas, tacos or using: ground turkey, kidney beans, cheese, salsa
Pasta w/pulled pork & frozen veg and tomato sauce if making enchiladas
Pasta w/ ground turkey, frozen veg and a can of tomatoes
Baked oatmeal w/bananas (you can make a ton of this with what you have)
Pizzas made from flour w/cheese, bbq sauce & bbq beef. (you should be able to make this
go further than 1 meal this way)
Grilled turkey & cheese sandwiches

Sausage & Eggs w/tortillas
Turkey w/rice a toni & frozen veg.

ittybittycoconuts 06-26-2012 07:44 PM

A small amount of white flour...like 3 to 5 cups
A similar amount of whole wheat flour
A similar amount of rye flour
2 gallons of milk (will need to buy more, it's on sale at Wags till Sat. so will stock up on Sat.)
8 boxes of pasta
2 whole large turkeys (would like to avoid using more than one)
10 bags of frozen veggies-broccoli cuts, peas, green beans and corn
1 small can of tomato sauce
lots of jars of BBQ sauce, different kinds
1 large bag of leftover bbq beef (enough to for one dinner for our family)
grapes and cherries, but these are for snacking
6 cans of low sodium chicken broth
Enough yeast
7 blocks (8oz ea) cheddar cheese
8 blocks (8oz) pepper jack cheese
2 blocks (8oz) mozz cheese (all the cheese is frozen)
4 cans of kidney beans
baking powder
baking soda
white vinegar
apple cider vinegar
dry milk powder
5lbs sugar
corn starch

BREAKFAST
eggs, bananas, 1/2 loaf bread, yogurt, oats, cheerios, milk
cheesy eggs, toast
oatmeal with cinnamon and bananas greek yogurt stired in or on top with a sweetener(honey brown sugar or sugar)
cheerios and bananas

DINNER
Roast a turkey Im assuming 3 dinners, the rest on lunches.
Roast turkey, rice a roni, frozen veggies
Turkey bake, stuffing, baked with the celery, top with creamed turkey in gravy and a side of frozen veggies
turkey soup, pasta, can of tomatoes, and a frozen veggie

pork tacos, taco seasoning, tortillas, pork, salsa, cheese, side of veggies

turkey spaghetti, ground turkey, pasta, 2 cans tomatoes, top with cheese, add frozen veggie blend

turkey tortilla soup, ground turkey, can tomatoes, beans, taco seasoning, corn.

bean and rice burritos, make 4 cans beans, salsa, cheese buy rice and tortillas

ittybittycoconuts 06-26-2012 07:45 PM

ok its gonna be hard. You might have enough for breakfast and dinners but not lunches.

Hungry Caterpillar 06-26-2012 08:08 PM

I think to stretch items I would try to mix things more than do, for example, a whole dinner of pulled pork or beef. So, dinners, with no particular order but just to count.

For the pork and beef, I would probably make a large pot of either the pork or beef, a pound and a half of the pasta, 1/2 bag of broccoli, one can of diced tomatoes, and then spread out into casserole pans, top with shredded cheese since you have lot of that, and bake. You could probably get three casseroles off that which is three dinners. (Dinners 1, 2, 3)

I would also mix that shredded meat with scrambled eggs and some veggies mixed with some cheese and have breakfast for dinner a couple of nights. Topped with salsa this would be yummy. (Dinners, 4,5)

I am not sure how large your turkeys are, but definitely roast one, pull off all the meat, and then make stock with just the turkey carcass, no veggies, to flavor other boring meals.

Like a PP said, have oatmeal as many breakfasts as you possibly can.

One dinner and lunch can be a small amount of pulled turkey, a quarter cup of the diced celery, and a container of the greek yogurt subbing for mayo. Use the half loaf of bread for sandwiches. You would do okay for dinner for you guys and prob one for your DH's lunch with maybe something on the side like pasta salad-- (Dinner 6)

Pasta salad - I would do the other half bag of broccoli from the above, some BBQ sauce, lots of pasta, and some cheese shredded. Maybe a touch of the pulled meat (turkey?) but you could leave it out. (Side dishes for other dinners and lunches)

I would use the ground turkey and the kidney beans for tacos. You could use your taco seasoning and some salsa. Maybe a box of rice a roni to mix in and stretch it? You would use the tortillas probably for this. (Oops, missed this counting, Dinners 9,10 - 1 lb ground meat for each dinner)

One day I would do pasta with just sauce - made from diced tomatoes and your small can of sauce. Throw in whatever veggie you have available. (Dinner 7)

Bananas, cherries and grapes for snacks. Cheese cut into cubes for more snacks. That's a mix of carbs and protein so that's a good snack.

The stovetop I would mix with half the liquid they ask for, line the bottom of a casserole, layer with the corn, layer with some pulled turkey, and top with whatever cheese your family would eat and make a casserole for a night. (Dinner 8)

I think with the above you have a few boxes of pasta left. For DH's lunch, when there isn't leftovers, I would boil two boxes of pasta, coat it with a little oil so it doesn't stick. Saute half a cup of celery in some butter (do you have butter?), Sprinkle in a couple tsps flour, add two to three cups room temp milk, bring to a boil, stir in a couple cups of shredded pepper jack and cheddar since you have a lot of that, and stir until melted. Put in cooked pasta. Add diced smoked sausages. This is a fancier mac and cheese. It should make quite a bit, with two pounds of pasta.

If you are hitting the end, use the white and whole wheat flour to make a loaf of bread or some tortillas and have cheese sandwiches for lunch. It's not perfect, but it will fill you up.

Also, if you do have to buy something, buy some pinto beans, and made a huge pot of refried beans without the fat, and serve scrambled eggs and refried beans. This is very cheap and will make a lot.

Hungry Caterpillar 06-26-2012 08:19 PM

Also for lunch - salsa pepperjack "pizza"

Crust (for two pizzas rolled thin)
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp olive oil
1 scant tsp yeast in 3/4 cup warm water

Mix together in order
let rise for an hour or two
cut dough in half
rolled out on floured surface

top with thickest part of salsa - maybe strain it a little?
shred pepperjack cheese to cover

bake at 500 degrees for around 12 mins
This will make two pizzas which will definitely be enough for your family - one of them feeds me and my husband.

abunchoflemons 06-26-2012 08:52 PM

Pulled pork & rice a roni, spagetti,layered taco dinner 4 tortilla shells with cheese salsa, breakfast burritos, try waffles or pancakes maybe? Cherios & bananas,
mac & cheese, stiry fry with veggies & a meat, iif u are good at making biscuits u could do bbq beef cups in muffin pan, pizza

abunchoflemons 06-26-2012 08:52 PM

Pulled pork & rice a roni, spagetti,layered taco dinner 4 tortilla shells with cheese salsa, breakfast burritos, try waffles or pancakes maybe? Cherios & bananas,
mac & cheese, stiry fry with veggies & a meat, iif u are good at making biscuits u could do bbq beef cups in muffin pan, pizza

MariaLA 06-27-2012 08:15 AM

I would need to buy rice and flour in order to make this work.

1 and 2. Breakfast for dinner. Scrambled eggs with cheese, and biscuits, tortillas, or bread. I do a loaf biscuit with 3 cups flour, 1/4 cup yogurt, 1/2 stick melted butter (if I have it), 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp baking powder, and 1.5 cups milk. mix dry stuff, mix wet stuff, and then mix them together and bake at 350 in a greased pie pan.

3 and 4. Pasta. Use all your tomato products to make a pot of sauce. Divide into two portions. Cook a lb of pasta and serve with the sauce. Serve with steamed frozen veg. Can use 1 lb of ground turkey if you need meat with dinner. May or may not have some left for lunches. Depends on your family's appetites.

5, 6, 7, and 8. Turkey based stuff. Roast a turkey. Dinner 5: roast turkey, veg, stovetop. Dinner 6 and 7: Turkey soup. Broth from carcass, frozen veg, one lb pasta, turkey meat. Should make 10 quarts easy. Dinner 8. Turkey tacos. Turkey meat, cheese, salsa, tortillas. Serve with Rice a Roni mixed with a little salsa.

9 and 10. Rice and beans. Buy and cook a lb of rice. Dump your drained and rinsed five cans of kidney beans, some salsa, a little chicken broth, and some of that taco seasoning in a pot and cook low and slow until the beans get that New Orleans red beans texture. Won't be authentic flavor, but it'll work. Add corn if it appeals to you. Serve with shredded cheese. Should be enough for lunches.

11, 12, 13, 14. Meat, veg, starch. Make that a 5lb bag of rice (less than $4 at my stores) and you've got your beef, veg, rice. Pork, veg, rice. Smoked sausage, veg, rice. Turkey sausage made with your ground turkey. And you should have some left for lunches. Serve meat with bbq sauce.

At this point you might be out of frozen veggies.

So that is 14 large meals that could be either lunches or dinners and still a lot of odds and ends left. Like you will still have lots of pasta, which could be made into vegetable soup, egg drop soup, make a cheese sauce, served plain, etc. I wouldn't serve the same thing right after each other, I would wait at least a few days. So when I made the pasta sauce, I would freeze half of the sauce.

For breakfasts I would buy a lot of flour and milk and make pancakes and mix that up with the oatmeal you've got. Snack on the fruit.

I don't know if it will really take you to the 6th of July, but you could come close.