Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   feeding schedule for 10-12 month old? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1412345)

sunshine987 06-27-2012 10:09 AM

feeding schedule for 10-12 month old?

Hello. We are weaning to formula and was wondering what kind of schedule our little one should be on? So what does your child (around one year old) drink -- I'm looking for an approximate schedule with the amount and method (bottle or sippy) as well as any meals.

DS is 11 months old

During the week: he nurses at 7 am, drinks three 6-7 oz bottles at daycare and nurses before bed around 7 pm.

During the weekend he might nurses at 7 am and 7 pm and might nurse one additional time before his afternoon nap. He will take a bottle of 6 oz or so of frozen BM or formula around lunchtime if offered but doesn't seem to need it. He also eats three meals with us.

Thanks!

babylove921 06-27-2012 11:51 AM

Re: feeding schedule for 10-12 month old?

We always did 3 8oz bottles, and if he wanted it, we gave him more. Always offered water/juice in a sippy, and formula in bottle.
Remember formula is thicker and more filling then breastmilk, so he won't need as much, but make sure he is getting enough, and eating plenty. :)

blueone 06-27-2012 01:46 PM

I fed on demand still. He was on solids and I'd offer about 2 meals a day with some snacks. Otherwise I still fed on demand. I don't remember what it was, but it was about 6-7 ounces (he rarely did a full 8) about 5 times a day maybe at the most...not quite sure. But the only schedule we had was when I gave him solids, which was around the time I ate but with a few snacks in between if he wanted.

lilmomma83 06-27-2012 04:18 PM

My son didn't eat much solids, he fed off the bottle on demand...6oz...I think at daycare he got 3 and maybe 3-4 more at home

pcjs 06-27-2012 04:23 PM

I would keep it on the day care schedule of morning/evening and a few times a day. 7 oz is plenty per sitting. If you haven't picked a formula, usually around 11-12 months some doc's like you to go to the toddler formula as the nutritional value is different. We like the walmart one but every one tastes different to its up to your child.

sunshine987 06-28-2012 01:25 PM

Yep, we've been using the toddler formula. I'm pretty much done nursing, I think he gets a bit in the morning and before bed, but I'm guessing not more that 6 ounces at the most. Sounds like we're on the right track -- he certainly isn't getting too much and I don't want him to be hungry. I just remember with DS1 that they said to cut back on milk/formula around a year.

LunaBirch 06-28-2012 08:40 PM

It sounds to me like 5+ bottles of 6-7 oz is a good starting point. At 11 months my kids all had probably 6+ bottles a day of 6-8 oz. I have a 22 month old who just started eating a few solids and he still is fed on demand.. probably 5-7 6-8 oz bottles per day of 30 cal/oz formula. Additionally even my child without feeding issues remained on formula until 2 yo.. DS1 was also 2, DS2 is still on pediasure (bottle) 3-4 X/day.. Older 2 weaned from bottles around 2 1/2-3 1/2 yo.. DC3 is still on a bottler for his formula at 3 1/2.. tried weaning but he isn't ready.. DC4 will be 2 in august and drinks all formula from a bottle.. sippy cups are used for juice/water for the little ones.

I believe in child led weaning from the bottle. Heck if my 5 yo DD is severely ill/dehydrated I let her drink her pedialyte from a bottle because its the only way she'll drink a significant amount (otherwise NO, my 5 yo is not on a bottle).

sunshine987 06-29-2012 05:31 AM

Thanks for the reminder to do what's best for MY child. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

EmilytheStrange 06-29-2012 10:44 PM

She always ate 5oz bottles every 2 hrs during the day. She would take 6oz first in the morning. As she got older, she started drinking closer to 4oz fairly often.

Usually was 7-8bottles a day for an average of 30oz a day.

Would not take more, would not accept less.

daydreamer1802 07-11-2012 08:04 PM

My daughter is 10 months old. Until recently she got 4 6oz & 1 8oz bottle a day. She now gets 2 feedings of solids and is down to 3 6oz and 1 8oz bottles a day (26oz), usually. Sometimes she needs 5 bottles so it comes out to about 28 oz a day. She takes all her day time formula in a straw sippy (as of yesterday) and gets a bottle at bedtime.