Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homesteading (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Help Prepping.. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1412452)

mabelinoad 06-27-2012 03:14 PM

Help Prepping..

We want to start prepping for disasters and whatnot, and I've done lots of reading and researching but would love suggestions from people who have been doing it a while.

We have $500 to put into it right now, and will continue to slowly add. Any suggestions what to do with our first chunk?

Right now, we have nothing, really. So...several cases of water and food?

3lilbubs 06-27-2012 04:29 PM

Re: Help Prepping..

Dh and I don't have a long term prepper stash but because we do live in earthquake country (and directly on top of the san andreas fault) we have a basic disaster kit with water, mre's, thermal blankets radio candles and matches and the like. I would start there and build on it with canned goods.

TamberlyRN 06-27-2012 05:25 PM

We started with a Katadyn water purifier, first aid supplies, and some emergency easy to prepare food from Wise and Augason farms. Oh... And some extra ammo...

jbug_4 06-27-2012 06:31 PM

Do you have 72 hours kits yet? Like pp suggested you want a basic disaster kit- candles, lanterns, waterproof matches, first aid kit (if you buy a first aid kit I highly recommend going through it and getting additional stuff. Most prepackaged first aid kits don't have a lot of stuff. Crank and battery operated radio. Campfire cooking materials/utensils. Other hand tools you might need. Think of rustic camping and the things you would need as far as tools.

I believe the guidelines for water are 2 gallons per person per day- 1 for drinking and food the other gallon for cleaning, bathing, etc. Don't forget to get can manual can openers- canned food does you no good if you can't get into them.

The best advice I was given on food is- Consider the meals you already eat, find a way to replace any perishable items, then multiply by the number of days you want that meal. Calculate how many bread products you use in week and what you need to make those. So if your regular dinner meal plan looks like this:

Spaghetti (pasta, sauce or canned tomatoes)
Pulled Pork, with green beans & mac n cheese (canned pork, canned green beans, boxed macn cheese or elbow noodles with dehydrated cheese and reconstituted milk)
10 min Italian supper (can of zuc with tomatoes, kidney beans, green beans, wax beans)
Chili (canned chili beans, canned (or dry) kidney beans, canned tomatoes, seasonings)
Turkey and dressing with carrots and cranberry sauce (canned turkey, boxed stuffing homemade, canned carrots and cranberry sauce)

count the number of ingredients you need to those 5 days plus bread products. Then multiple by how many weeks you want to eat those things. We do our plan by 2 weeks so we have more variety. Most of our stuff is canned or dry. we do have some MREs but not many as only me and dh can eat them. DD has food allergies and we are to treat ds as if he does too until he is tested. We have yet to find a company that has dehydrated food that can guarantee there is not risk for cross contamination.

Rdesonia 06-29-2012 12:41 PM

I like Honeyville Grain as the prices are really good. BUT I think buying #10 can of powdered eggs is not something most people will use and thus a waste of money for some. (Obviously if you make your own mixes and you camp it is worth it. )

If I was looking to prepare for a disaster and I had $500 and NOTHING .....
I would go to a local dollar store. (Yes really!)
I'd buy 3 cheap flashlights, LED candles, extra batteries(at least one per flashlight), Tealight candles, duct tape 3 or 4 rolls, 2 or 3 shower curtains (if they are not the super flimsy kind) or tarps. (again if not super flimsy), a hack saw if they have it, matches (wood if they have them), a set of lighters, 2 disposable baby wipes, big trash bags, And 2 packages of the largest ziplock bags they got. So thats about $23.

Then I'd buy a GOOD water filter and purification tablets. (online and compare prices)

I'd go to the grocery store and buy bleach, cases of canning jars (if you think you will stay home during disaster if not staying then plastic tupperware type containers. Something to keep bugs and air out), and dried food -beans (compare prices sometimes the 5 or 20 lb bags are more expensive than 1 lb!), noodles, rice, bullion cubes (herb-ox brand has NO MSG.), dried soups( like bear creek )salt, pepper, coffee(in cans), baking mixes (just add water kind),Flour, yeast, sugar, powdered milk, etc. I'd buy any personal things I might need like baby formula, or vitamins, or whatever. A cast iron dutch oven or enamel camp type would be good to have with a spoon. I'd buy 3 days worth of water. ( gallons and bottled)

Then I would put all the stuff from Dollar store in back pack. I'd make sure lighters/matches where in separate ziplock bags. You will also need a knife, multi tool, etc. I'd have at least $50 cash available at all times.

I'd put the food in canning jars and LABEL and DATE it! I'd keep it in a separate cupboard with enough grocery totes to take it with you. (I don't know that I would use glass if I'm in an earthquake zone OR think I would have to travel.) Then I'd start to USE stuff from that cupboard and replace on your next shopping trip. Put your "new" behind the old. (Otherwise your food will go bad at some point.)

Rdesonia 06-29-2012 01:11 PM

I'd like to add that disaster prep really depends on your specific location, what disasters you might face, and your families plan for an emergency (Leave or stay and where you will go if you leave).

Example: My disaster prep includes gas masks. Most people would think that was extreme. However I live 30 miles from a Army Chemical Depo that up till a few months ago was actively disposing of chemicals. So obviously in my situation, the threat of a chemical spill and emergency evacuation was REAL while they were active. I doubt most people would need them or want them. (They gave local residents senors, air purifiers, tarps, etc but I purchased gas masks as an additional precaution )

If a person lives in a hurricane zone, they might have plywood, screws, and a battery powered drill gun as their prep. They would need to cover windows and have supplies ready to leave the area. But would have time to pack.

If a person lives in a zone where wildfires are a threat, they might need to leave quickly and have clothing packed in their stuff. They might also buy extra garden hoses and sprinklers to place in the their yard and on their roof. (They might even consider a small stone wall that was built prior around their property as disaster prep.)

A person might want to consider an alternative heat source if they live in an area where a blizzard or ice storm taking out electricity for a long time could be a threat. A wood stove and firewood would be good disaster prep for them or even a generator and extra gas.

You might have different plans based on the types of emergency/disasters you face. I don't think what works for one family is always right for another.

mabelinoad 06-29-2012 06:05 PM

Rdesonia... you are my hero.

Seriously, thank you for making it so simple for us!! I'll do exactly that! We have the basics already(candles, flashlights, batteries, etc) But definitely need more. I really appreciate the time you put into your post!! :hugs:

aiyana4969 06-30-2012 07:02 AM

This is the first aid kit that I have. I added a few things to it, like a quick clot kit and israli bandage, mylar blankets (and duct tape, that way I can tape a few together for a tent or sleeping bags), water purifyer straw thing, flint thing... I know there was more but I'll have to go through my history to find out. Oh and aquaint yourself with your kit, which ever you buy. I have this awesome kit and then DH goes and slices his thumb open and is bleeding all over the place so I grab the 'good' kit out of the van, yeah, I couldn't find a darned thing and she was bleeding all over the place. I had to grab the poorly stocked one from the kitchen and make do since it was a race to stop the bleeding. (ok so it wasn't that bad, but it's been forever since I've had to put my EMT skills to use, so I was in full on EMT mode and needed to stop it 'now' like he was going to bleed to death :giggle: )

I second it being based on where you live. When I lived in CA, I had a bag packed in the entry clost with clothes, granola bars (sippies if the kids were that young. Great thing about BF'ing is I didn't need formula and water for any babies I had), bottles of water etc. This was mainly my wildfire bugout bag. I had a giant tupperware tub in the garage with clothes, meds, med kit, foods that were shelf stable like powdered milk, peanutbutter, crackers, tuna and cracker kits that we bought at Sam's club, flashlights, blankets, flashlights, handcrank radio, the whole nine yards (it was mandatory for all childcare providers and I maintained it even after I shut down my childcare).

Here in Maine, we often go weeks without power in the winter during severe storms like ice storms and Nor'Easters. I have a bugout bag in the van along with my rocking first aid kit. But I have more stockpilled here in the house just because of the nature of things.

Inside I have sacks of white rice (because it keeps longer, it can keep for a year or two just in the regular sack and I haven't yet moved it to an airtight bucket with an O2 absorber which will keep it for like a decade). I have a few gallons of water, but water isn't much of an issue with us, we have a river running through the backside of our property and a lot of people have old fashioned hand dug wells and everyone shares (the house I grew up in had one of these and everyone on my street stopped to dip from our well during the icestorm of '98 when we were without power for 2 weeks). I have a gas stove and a 325 gallon tank that's always full. Lanterns and fuel, candles, flashlights, batteries, battery operated radios etc.

Other food stuff's I have in bulk are #25lbs of organic black beans (1/2 cup of dried beans equals a can, so it goes a LOOOONG way), cans of veggies and other beans, sacks of flour, large bags of baking soda (for a levening and cleaning), gallon jugs of vinegar for both cooking and cleaning, pastas and peanutbutter.

I still need: a generator (since I only have a furnace and no non electrical way of heating my home right now, this will only hook up to the furnace to save on the gas we'd need I can do without lights and running water), I'd also like to get a hand pump to put on my well, but they're expensive.

If you really want to prep for a year or more or a SHTF type of thing, this Mormon calculator is great. I'm not Mormon but you have to admire thier preparedness. Oh and I also find free e-books on Amazon (no kindle needed, just the program on your computer) and read up on disaster prep, how to do old fashioned things like making vinegar, curing meats, dough starter and that type of thing. I gather all that info and type up the basics in a way I'd understand quickly how to do something, print it off and put it in a 3 ring binder.