Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homesteading (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   A little off topic, but I thought maybe here people would be more understanding (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1413307)

Marianna1988 06-29-2012 05:07 PM

A little off topic, but I thought maybe here people would be more understanding

My DS turns 6 months tomorrow. We do BLW with our kids, and I do think he is almost ready to start solids. His tongue thrust reflex is almost gone, he can sit up for short periods of time unassisted and long periods of time assisted. He is also SUPER interested in food and occasionally screams at us if he sees us eating and tries to grab at our food if we hold him while eating (but then again, he grabs at anything around him :giggle2:). But when I started my garden, I got it in my head that I wanted his first food to be something I grew myself. I can't really explain it, maybe it's just a combo of I'm not ready for him to be old enough to no longer be 100% dependent on only me for food (he may possibly be our last biological child, but saying I grew his first solids too would kind of be as extension of EBF him) and that I want the bragging rights to be able to say that :blush: I know, it's SO prideful, but really, how many people can say that? :blush: But, I don't think anything will be ready to be harvested for at least a month (peas will be first, I think). I feel bad denying him the food he actually does want for another month or more, but I am so reluctant to buy him an avocado or sweet potatoes or something. I guess I'm just wondering, did anyone else do anything so selfish? It would be totally different if he had no interest or wasn't meeting milestones. I know he doesn't *need* it, but I do feel that part of the reason my toddler has such a great palate and even great motor skills is because we did BLW. Someone make me feel better about either choice!! :confused:

3lilbubs 06-29-2012 08:30 PM

Re: A little off topic, but I thought maybe here people would be more understanding

Well realistically there will always be SOME things that you cannot grow at home. So do you think maybe visiting a farmer's market or buying organic would make that an easier choice? If he is "asking" he may need it more than you think he does? Each child is different. :) I had one child that was asking at 5 months and ate chopped food greedily. Another that probably would have BF only until he was 9 or 10 mos but I introduced solids at around 7-7.5mos because I was concerned about him learning a overactive gag reflex if I missed the "window" due to his tongue tie and oddly shaped palette. If you start with organic brown rice cereal made at home (you grind the rice and cook it with breastmilk) would that be a ok choice for you? I did that with my last one. I understand your motives. I did a complete 180 from my first child with my others. The first was formula and gerber jarred food. Before my milk dried up from my failed attempt to bf him I swore that any more children would be EBF. I stuck to my word and when it came time to do solid foods I couldn't imagine doing anything but making them wholesome good home made food. Good luck mama, it's a very personal thing and I "get" where you're coming from.

pgkcb13 06-30-2012 11:30 AM

Re: A little off topic, but I thought maybe here people would be more understanding

I don't think waiting another month will hurt him any, lots of people wait much longer than that to introduce solids. YDD was acting like that around the same age and when I tried to introduce the solids she really wasn't as interested as I thought she was, she just wanted to be part of the family, not so much eat, kwim? We stopped giving it to her for a couple weeks and when we tried again she ate just fine.