Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   To all the CIOers (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1413319)

Urchin 06-29-2012 04:37 PM

To all the CIOers

I never thought I would write this.

I always thought CIO was cruel. I never understood it and was SO against it. There was NO way I would ever subject my child to CIO.

Well, how things change. I have been trying for months to get my DD (8 months old) to sleep better. I have tried everything. Seriously. Read half a dozen books, spent weeks at a time with different methods...Lastly we had been co-sleeping but it wasn't going well for any of us. I was always uncomfortable, hardly slept and DD would nurse all night long.

So three nights ago DH finally said we had to try something else. So I went through our regular routine, and then put her in her crib to CIO. I checked on her, comforted her, and she cried. For nearly an hour before falling asleep. I felt like the worst mother on the planet for subjecting her to that... but she slept for 5 hours straight, and I felt like a new woman after getting to sleep comfortably in my bed for the first time in forever.

So..last night we tried again. She was asleep after only 7 minutes.

Tonight, she cried for 2 minutes.

I know it's still early in the game, but I feel the need to apologise to all those Mom's I (silently) judged or thought bad of because they did CIO. I always try to be very open minded, but until now, I could not wrap my head around CIO. I don't think it's for everyone, but in our case, it was what we all needed.

Wanderlust 06-29-2012 04:41 PM

Re: To all the CIOers

I'm glad it worked for you and your LO!

jhays84 06-29-2012 04:46 PM

Hugs mama. You did it for a good reason. I have been trying to me 10mth old to sleep better. And I tried cio but dh wasn't on board. It broke my heart but I was willing to try it... I ended up getting his travel pack n play out. Putting the bassinet on the lowest setting so he can't climb out. And stuck it on my side of the bed. He normally sleeps 8-9 hrs in it. And some naps. It has been amazing to sleep and with my husband again.

Jessica Sent from my DROID3 using DS Forum

amcess721 06-29-2012 04:48 PM

Way to go for stepping outside of your comfort zone to give your whole family something you (all) needed (a good night of sleep!)

We tried CIO with my dd and she went about 40 minutes the first night and then our 2nd and 3rd nights were much the same as yours. With my DS... it just didn't work. He'd cry for 20, then be quiet... then cry for 20, then be quiet... repeat repeat repeat... so it didn't work for him.

Holly dolly 06-29-2012 04:57 PM

It was the same for us!!! You're right that it isn't the answer for everyone though!!

Computermama 06-29-2012 05:02 PM

It's ok mama. We always have the best plans, but reality has to set in. It's awesome if you never have to CIO, but sleep is a need for both mama and baby, and we do what we have to in order to get it. I was the opposite, said I'd never bring a child into my bed. Well that lasted until this velcro baby would not sleep at first except on me and I was so tired I was sure I'd nod off and drop her so into my bed she went. She now sleeps in her own bed, but those first few weeks cosleeping was the only way I got any sleep at all.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum

Fishie Kisses 06-29-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Computermama (Post 15328717)
It's ok mama. We always have the best plans, but reality has to set in. It's awesome if you never have to CIO, but sleep is a need for both mama and baby, and we do what we have to in order to get it. I was the opposite, said I'd never bring a child into my bed. Well that lasted until this velcro baby would not sleep at first except on me and I was so tired I was sure I'd nod off and drop her so into my bed she went. She now sleeps in her own bed, but those first few weeks cosleeping was the only way I got any sleep at all.

this exactly. All of it. I was anti-co-sleeping, as was DH. We both got over it with DS1 who had colic. DS2 needed his own space and slept in his own bed just about from the beginning, BUT woke so often that CIO was the only option. With DS3...well, he was the easiest baby on the planet. If they were all like that I'd have 100 lmao

mabelinoad 06-29-2012 05:25 PM

CIO worked wonders for DD, we weren't forcing her to STTN, but by 4 weeks(seriously) she was totally STTN and slept so well and cried very little after just the first few days.

With our second, we tried the same method and it did NOT work, he'd just cry and cry and cry. Each kid is different :thumbsup:

BottomOfMyHearts 06-29-2012 05:36 PM

*hugs*

mamatoclaire 06-29-2012 06:19 PM

Good job mama :) No one parenting method is right for every parent/child 100% of the time. What you described sounds like completely appropriate CIO. It bothers me when people act like CIO is abandonment and neglect.