Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   any restrictions/rules for kids' clothing? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1413507)

newbiemama 06-30-2012 10:16 AM

any restrictions/rules for kids' clothing?

Do you have any restrictions or rules for your kids clothing? Or would you in the future when they are older (tween, teen)??

keen1981 06-30-2012 10:18 AM

Nope! But I don't have a girl. And I DO find that people over sexualize their girls. Not hard to do with today's clothing options

babycat42 06-30-2012 10:36 AM

Re: any restrictions/rules for kids' clothing?

When we are home I would like for them to at least wear underwear but I am okay if they would rather be naked. When we go out their outfits much match and be appropriate for where we are going. Clothes must fit properly and be age appropiate
Restrictions
Boys
No sleeveless shirts
No tall socks with shorts
No polo shirts (I think the material feels yucky)

Girls
No spaghetti straps without a t-shirt underneath
Always must wear shorts or pants under dresses
No short shorts

Socks must always be worn in tennis shoes
Diapers must not contrast with clothes
No Obvious brand names on clothing
No messages on clothing
no holes or stains or wrinkles
Very few approved characters

mibarra 06-30-2012 11:13 AM

Mine are 18 months and 3 year old girls. Restrictions include: no baby bikinis (they just ick me out), try to avoid super short shorts and tightly fitted jeans (the 2nd for comfort reasons, I usually buy boys jeans). Generally no halter tops unless there is another shirt underneath, wear a pair of shorts under dresses. I also hate character stuff, so none of their clothes has disney princess or dora or tinker bell or anything on it, though we do have a pair of Lightning McQueen Slippers (DD1 is crazy about cars in general), and a few hand me down Winney the Pooh things. Nothing that floofs around the chest and gives the illusions of 'breasts'.

Since they are younger, and DD1 picks out her own clothes, her outfits don't always match. My personal favorite was a bright orange shirt, bright pink shorts, blue sandals, with her winter hat and mittens. :P

I'm sure as they get older we will have other rules. My parents were pretty laid back about clothes, and I made reasonably good choices.

smashncakes 06-30-2012 11:16 AM

We're not big on character clothes, particularly newer characters. I don't mind "classic" cartoon characters that have been around for a long time though (like popeye) but in moderation.

No light-up shoes. No crazy-colored shoes. I like my kids shoes to match a majority of their clothing...and I've found that most of the shoes that are marketed towards kids in the way of characters/lights/insane colors fall apart and/or have poor quality anyway.

I always try to coordinate baby's shirt w/his diaper if he's not wearing longies or shorties, especially if we're going out anywhere. Not necessarily a rule...just how I am :giggle:

DD is 4yo...so I prefer her dresses to be at least knee-length and if her skirts are shorter than that (which they usually are, because it seems impossible to find a non-mini skirt for a child her age :banghead:), they have to have panties/shorts built in underneath. She's been taught to sit like a lady, keep her legs crossed, not act crazy/hang upside down/do flips while wearing skirts...but she's 4...so 'nuff said :D

No holes/stains unless they're around the house. I'll occasionally let 6yo DS wear jeans with a SMALL hole in the knee, but nothing crazy.

I don't care so much about brand names, but DH won't let the kids wear anything from Old Navy because "everything says OLD NAVY really huge on it"...that said...they still wear Old Navy stuff without the logo/name, and for some reason they can wear other brand stuff with the name on it...he just hates Old Navy :headscratch:

My kids always wear no-show socks with sneakers, but that's just because I hate how socks look peeking out of shoes.

mommyinthesun 06-30-2012 11:18 AM

For both of them:
Must match.
Must be clean.
Must be appropriate size.

For DD:
Shorts must be at least mid-thigh length.
Skirts/dresses have to be long enough for her to bend over in without exposing herself.
No bikinis.
No plunging necklines.
No writing on the chest or butt.
No heels.
No make-up.

mommyinthesun 06-30-2012 11:18 AM

For both of them:
Must match.
Must be clean.
Must be appropriate size.

For DD:
Shorts must be at least mid-thigh length.
Skirts/dresses have to be long enough for her to bend over in without exposing herself.
No bikinis.
No plunging necklines.
No writing on the chest or butt.
No heels.
No make-up.

newbiemama 06-30-2012 11:38 AM

I like all these restrictions!! I agree with most of them. I really do try to stay away from "character clothing", but there are some things DD likes so much (Rapunzel, Fancy Nancy, and Dora) that some of those find their way into her wardrobe. :dunno: We do not now (and probably will never) allow 2-pieces other than a tankini with SHORTS. I'm VERY picky about swim wear. DD won't wear any strapless dresses/shirts. Also I won't allow dresses without bloomers or shorts underneath when she's young. I HATE little girls underwear being shown (can't blame them, though, they're just playing and having fun).

WHAT DOES EVERYONE THING OF THIS RULE: When she's older, no shorts/skirts above the knee.

JennTheMomma 06-30-2012 11:42 AM

Nope. ds1 picks out his own clothing at the store, it usually has a dinosaur on it. I pick ds2's clothing, but it's just normal 2 year old clothes. It gets in the 90s and 100s here so I'm 100% fine with no shirts on, and in our yard they are allowed to go out in just undies and in the pool are allowed to swim naked. At the beach they just wear swim trunks. They have sensative skin (red-head gene) so wearing a rash guard or shirts when it's hot can give them problems and make them itchy from the sweat.

ETA: If I ever had a daughter I'm fine with most clothing. No words on the butt, characters are ok if she likes them and picks them out (at about 5 years old), no baby bikinis but I'd still do a two piece for potty purposes (no belly hanging out), I'm totally fine with speghetti stap dresses and tops as I wear those too and find nothing sexy about them. Like the boys she's allowed to play in the yard with undies and swim in our pool naked.

momtojande 06-30-2012 11:50 AM

Nothing much. Both kids like clothes that I'm happy with.

DD in particular loves to wear "beautiful" dresses - mostly classic little girl dresses with puffy skirts. :) One thing I do is make sure she wears shorts underneath. I love the shorts I bought her at monkeybarbuddies.com - nice, thin material that isn't bulky under the dress.