Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Naps for 2 y/os.. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1413677)

sami_fran 06-30-2012 05:16 PM

Naps for 2 y/os..

DD is 2 well 3 in Oct..... Does she need to nap during the day? If she does she's up late at night if she doesn't it's melt down city around dinner....

So do I let her nap and if so how long?
Or do I keep her and how can I help the melt downs....any ideas?!?

Thanks ladies!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Nicolenutt 06-30-2012 05:32 PM

I could have posted this mama. Dd will also be 3 in oct and has recently ditched her nap. We've been battling over it for a couple of months now, and I've recently given up. If I finally got her down (after an hour of struggling) she would be up until 10 or 11pm; no thanks lol. Everyday around meltdown time I try and switch up the activity we're doing. By 6:30 we have our bath and start our wind down. By 7-7:30 she's snoring. It makes for earlier mornings, but the couple of hours of quiet at night is totally worth it.

mrosehughes 06-30-2012 05:51 PM

DS will be three in oct and is ditching his nap some days, too. He usually takes one when he's at daycare, but they really run them ragged in the morning. When he's home on the weekend he is rarely napping anymore, although sometimes he crashes between 4 and 5. Today despite a walk this morning he only slept for about 15 minutes (I drove around for half an hour instead of fighting with him).

momofdestructobaby 06-30-2012 05:54 PM

Re: Naps for 2 y/os..

Isla will be 3 in Oct as well :) On the weekends she naps from about 1:30-3:30 and goes to bed at 7 without issue. On weekdays she is in daycare and does not nap. She is exhausted by 6:30 and cranky and goes to bed early. I plan to continue the naps until she stops falling asleep during them. My ODD gave up naps around age 2.5 completely.

my2sweets 06-30-2012 08:16 PM

At that age dd1 just needed quiet time. We eventually worked up to 2hrs. She would lay quietly in bed 'reading' or playing with her babies. She didnt need the sleep but she really needed the down time.

megenic 06-30-2012 08:31 PM

I seem to produce wacky babies who don't need sleep, but both mine stopped napping around 18 months. I had the same problem - if they napped they were up late. It took about a week to adjust so they weren't melting down at supper time then they were fine. I think I did make their bedtime earlier while they were adjusting. Some kids have much lower sleep needs. I remember being so upset with DD1 when she dropped to one map at 8 months...I thought she HAD to have 2 because the books all said babies that age needed two. LOL. I say drop the nap for a week and if it's miserable,, implement it again but maybe shorten it.

Mom2jandb 06-30-2012 09:04 PM

DD1 gave up her nap completely by 18 months. She just turned three. Every great once in a while she naps by accident and is awake at night until 1am. For that reason, we just don't do naps and deal with the meltdowns.

hpfgirl 06-30-2012 10:20 PM

My ds is 25 months. Bed time is 8, he's usually up at around 7, and he naps for 1 to 2 hours in the afternoon. If he sleeps in, he can power through without a nap. If he plays hard or isn't feeling well, he might fall asleep during morning quiet time, it can vary, but keeping him to a schedule seems to be the most important thing for preventing meltdowns.

luvsviola 06-30-2012 10:23 PM

This was my kiddos too. We just couldn't stand them by 5:00. We finally gave in and let them nap, then stay up later at night. :)

Nightowl Jan 06-30-2012 10:52 PM

This is a hard one, I feel for you. Our little girl will be 3 in September. She has been not napping either. She'll stay up and then lately falls asleep around 5 then is up till like 10 or so....We are not early risers in our house but I think I need to start doing that. Maybe that would help you, too?
I have read in so many places that kids needs a daily nap until kindergarten. So I personally am going to try to institute a better routine.