Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Can spanking cause mental illness (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1414331)

Joyful Tie Dyes 07-02-2012 02:10 PM

Can spanking cause mental illness

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/02/health...html?hpt=hp_t2

Interesting article discussing studies about whether spanking in the absence of abuse may cause mental illnesses.

"Researchers from Canada found that physical punishment (such as slapping, hitting, pushing and shoving) -- even without child neglect or physical, sexual or emotional abuse -- was linked to mood disorders, anxiety disorders, substance abuse and personality disorders."

What do you think?

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 07-02-2012 02:13 PM

Re: Can spanking cause mental illness

It makes sense to me tbh :(

qsefthuko 07-02-2012 02:20 PM

If that were the caseall previous generations would have mental problems. Spankings were normal and almost everyone received spankings. Some how this just doesn't make any sense at all. Even if you don't agree with spankings some how I don't think you believe the past 6000 years all people suffered mental disorders.

I didn't read the article just answered the question.

Almacham 07-02-2012 02:24 PM

:)

qsefthuko 07-02-2012 02:25 PM

Read the article. Slapping, hitting, pushing, and shoving are different from a disciplinary spanking on the bottom. The above is I would be be accompanied by verbal and emotional abuse as well.

happysmileylady 07-02-2012 02:29 PM

Well, I don't think that "slapping, hitting, pushing, and shoving" are really the same thing as spanking AT ALL. To me, that's like saying letting a kid scream in a room for 5 hours by himself is the same thing as "5 in/5 out" CIO (for lack of a better term.) Or that making a kid stand in the closet for an hour is the same thing as a Supernanny style time out. I don't really think that slapping and pushing and so on even really qualifies as a punishment. It's not like someone is going to say to a kid "if you do set the table in the next 2 minutes I am going to shove you around." With a true punishment of any sort, it's a direct consequence for a particular behavior. If you do XYZ unacceptable behavior, then ABC punishment will happen. You give a warning, child repeats unacceptable behavior, consequence that child was warned about is carried out. That's how punishment actually works. Slapping, pushing etc, just don't fit that criteria.

Joyful Tie Dyes 07-02-2012 02:31 PM

I don't know about slapping and pushing but spanking IS hitting. You hit the child on the butt.

dancermommy1 07-02-2012 02:32 PM

It all depends on the degree of and nature of the punishment. Done in love without animosity and no abusive language, etc, I agree with pp we'd all be crazy (wait....I am).

I don't spank but I think there's a lot more to study before any definitive conclusions are drawn. I also think the personality of the child comes into play. Corporal punishment was the norm until very recently. That doesn't make it right, but it certainly was the norm, but I don't think everyone up to this point is mentally disturbed because of it.

dancermommy1 07-02-2012 02:37 PM

From a personal perspective I agree with the article. It does say Harsh physical punishment, though--not a small swat. Also, I'd like to read the actual study to see what sort of controls were in place, etc.

JennTheMomma 07-02-2012 02:43 PM

I think it can. I think it really depends on the child, but you won't know until the child is older. Some kids don't think much of being spanked, they grow up just fine and become productive members of the society. Other kids may go inside themselves from being spanked and then start to deal with issues. It totally depends on how that child deals with the punishments.