Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Teething. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1414462)

Dani_Phen 07-02-2012 07:41 PM

Teething.

DS is teething and getting some back teeth in. He'll be a year old this weekend. I feel like I am going nuts!! :lostit: He threw up all night friday night and had a fever 100.5. Saturday he was a zombie but with crying fits all day and only wanted his Pappy and for pappy to hold him (DH's dad) so we took him to see pappy and gramma. Sunday he seemed happier and the fever was gone but he still fussed and cried on and off all day. Today he wouldn't nap, won't eat anything but pretzel sticks, wouldn't drink anything but a few sips of water once in a great while. He hasn't peed in the last 7 hours. I'm worried. He's been fussing since friday and hasn't slept through the night much since either. DH and I are at our wits end and exhausted from sleep deprivation. I feel so bad for DS. I've tried everything I could think of. Anyone have any suggestions? When I gave him tylenol tonight he threw up on me after fighting it. Should I take him to the Dr tomorrow or just wait it out. It's definitely teeth but I've never had this much of a problem before. :cry:

wordbox 07-02-2012 08:14 PM

Re: Teething.

Oh I am sorry mama! Teething sure sucks. My kid is definitely one who is extra sensitive to them (some kids seem to sail through with just a bit of discomfort). We are dealing with two year molars right now and they are NOT fun. :(

I'd try again with the medicine. I have found ibuprofen seems to work a bit better for my son. And the stuff we buy tastes good and my son is pretty happy to take it (although I imagine the Tylenol you gave your son is probably pretty similar taste-wise). Maybe some Hyland's teething tablets would help a bit? They dissolve quickly and are pretty easy to give them.

Maybe try wrapping an ice cube in a wash cloth and tying it off, and letting him suck and chew on that? Maybe some frozen berries (like blueberries or raspberries) would help?

Dani_Phen 07-02-2012 08:59 PM

I am just concerned that something else could be up. I've tried everything. I haven't tried the teething tablets yet though. Thanks. :) He never cries and never has much at all from birth until now, even when he was teething. I never even knew he was teething with his first few sets until he bit me or I saw them.
He has a rash too on his legs. When he tries to eat or drink, he just gags. He just got over a bad virus too so I'm concerned that could be a sign that this could be something from that too.

EmilytheStrange 07-02-2012 09:19 PM

that just doesn't sound like teeth to me at all.

I would take him to the doctor.

Dani_Phen 07-02-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange (Post 15342632)
that just doesn't sound like teeth to me at all.

I would take him to the doctor.

Thanks. My SIL who is kind of anti-doctor most of the time (unless it's an emergency) just told me maybe I should take him. She said it doesn't sound normal to her either. She has two kids...one of which is only a year older than DS. He's been happy 95% of the time since birth and rarely ever cries. I've been spoiled so I thought maybe it was just me not able to take a crying baby (I'm normally very laid back no matter what), but since friday I'm starting to now feel so overwhelmed that I keep losing my temper with DH and the pets and I raised my voice to DS tonight and I feel so bad...I try to NEVER do that. :cry:
He's in pain and I have no right to yell at him. He'll be playing and suddenly stop and start crying hysterically and want held for a while. After 4 days of non-stop fussing and crying I'm to the point where for the first time since I gave birth I feel a feeling of dislike toward my son. It's tearing out my heart b/c I've never had mean feelings toward him. The crying and fussing is non-stop though.
When I check on him in the middle of the night, he's just laying there with his eyes open and then starts crying. He'll be happy and play with DH and I for a short amount of time (like a 1/2 hour or so) then suddenly start crying again for anywhere from a few min to a half hour sometimes an hour. I can see the teeth coming and his gums are so swollen...but he won't eat and didn't pee from before lunch until bedtime. I'm calling the Dr first thing in the morning b/c it's just not normal. Teething is usually something I barely notice in him. I mean, he usually gets fussy and wants held and cuddled for a day or two but he hasn't eaten much or drank much all weekend or today. That's worrying me more than anything...that and the constant crying. I feel like a bad Mom b/c nothing I do works. :cry:

wordbox 07-02-2012 10:40 PM

I agree, sound like you should at least call the doc. It could be more than just teething... but it's hard to say without knowing your son. Molars can be terrible. Good luck and let us know what they say.