Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What age do you stop putting the kids to bed? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1414474)

emerino 07-02-2012 07:14 PM

What age do you stop putting the kids to bed?

As in, stop tucking in, singing songs, reading books, praying with them, or whatever you do with your LO's before bed?

Apparently DH told the kids (4 & 5) to put themselves to bed tonight. They are certainly capable and it's tempting, but I just think those bedtime moments are still important at their ages. I'm sure DH isn't planning on doing that every night, I think he just wanted to watch the Olympic trials :)

luvsviola 07-02-2012 07:15 PM

Re: What age do you stop putting the kids to bed?

I have to turn DD's music on because she can't reach it, but she puts herself to bed. She's 5. When she gets in trouble and loses her music, she puts herself to bed. She comes out for hugs and kisses if I forget, though.

ETA: I still have to help with her bath, remind her to brush her teeth, and take her ice cubes/water. We read books, but do that in DS's room.

iris0110 07-02-2012 07:19 PM

I still put my boys to bed every night. Typically I read to them and tuck them in (turn on music, give Tharen his melatonin and kiss them before turning out the light). Even on nights that we have run late and don't have time for reading or Tharen has lost reading privileges I still tuck in quickly. I like to touch base with them before bed. I will sometimes let Kearnan stay up to read so I turn the music on and kiss him goodnight, he turns the light out for himself before he goes to sleep. They are 10 and 6 and I don't see it ending anytime real soon.

*KaiMom* 07-02-2012 07:27 PM

I still tuck in my 10.5 year old. He gets ready for bed and reads until lights out, then I come in and turn out the light, hugs, kisses, etc.

jbug_4 07-02-2012 07:27 PM

I guess I will until they don't want me to anymore. DD is almost 5. She still wants me to tuck her in, she can put herself to bed she just doesn't want to. She just recently decided she didn't want me to come with her while she brushes her teeth.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 07-02-2012 07:36 PM

I still put my kids to bed as well, my ds1 is almost 10, dd1 is 7 and ds2 is 4.5, they all enjoy it and so do I. I will stop when they ask me to.

thaisa47 07-02-2012 07:44 PM

Our oldest is 5, and he is still part of the nighttime routine. We prefer to put him to bed - we read together as a family at bed time before saying goodnight. I don't really see this going away anytime soon. I'm looking forward to starting some chapter books with him.

MomAtLast 07-02-2012 07:48 PM

With my step-daughter (who lives with us full time) it was late middle school when she stopped wanting it. There were certainly nights I could have done without the whole routine, but that time is precious and fleeting. I am not going to give it up willingly with my two little ones!

mommabritt 07-02-2012 07:56 PM

We still read to each child individually. The boys all share a room and it does take a while but they enjoy it and it gives us a few moments with them each night.

If they've lost privileges to read in their own (they have clip on book lights and read for 10-15ins after) then we still tuck in and kiss goodnight.

ETA: they are 4.5, 6.5. 9.5. Dd nurses down still.

tallanvor 07-02-2012 07:57 PM

Stopped with my oldest several years ago (her choice) and she's 11. DS is 9 and I tuck him in and lay down with him a few nights a week. YDD is 5 and while she will sometimes put herself to bed, we typically tuck her in.