Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   2011 Due Daters (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   March 2011 mamas - How many words does your baby say? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1414571)

jcalumna 07-03-2012 01:06 AM

March 2011 mamas - How many words does your baby say?

Yesterday at my DD's 15 month preventative visit, I was informed that she has a "slight" speech delay because she only uses 3 words that I can distinguish (mama, dada, hey). I was told she should be using 5-10 words.

She will be re-evaluated at her 18 month preventative visit & if the doctor is not pleased with her language, then she'll receive a referral for speech.

DD does jabber A LOT, and it's possible that we just cannot interpret what she's trying to tell us.

How many words does your 15 month old use? Also, I'm curious if your baby is in mama care or day care. (Wondering if that may make a difference.)

jjgammon 07-03-2012 02:57 AM

DS has far fewer words right now than DD did at this age. For the most part he only says mamama, daddy, hey, & ummm. He just picked up uh-oh over the past few days. And he may or may not be saying chicken, grandma, and I love you.

Sent from my old beater Android with no phone service because we're THAT broke.

mrskfs87 07-09-2012 01:21 PM

Re: March 2011 mamas - How many words does your baby say?

DS only says mama, dada, and uh oh. He also has a tongue tie, but his doctor said she wanted to wait to see if it REALLY affected his speech. His big brother has a speech delay diagnosis, so I wonder if I needed to get him evaluated since he is being the same way.

jcalumna 07-09-2012 06:33 PM

Yes, sometimes I wonder if the doctor is just super sensitive. My DD was considered "delayed" because she did not crawl at 9 months. However, she had no problem walking "on time" at 14 months without therapy.

2011Mommy 07-12-2012 08:51 PM

My DS doesn't say that many words either, but the doctor didn't say anything about it at his 15 month well visit. He says "mom, dad (which he hasn't said in a while), dog, & hi" but he babbles all the time & sometimes it sounds like he's saying something, but I'm not sure if I'm just hearing what I want to or if it was a fluke. He use to go to school until he was 9mos old then I changed jobs & started working p/t so he's wi/ grandparents & w/ either my husband or both of us. He also doesn't walk on his own yet, only supported in some way. He didn't pull himself up until he was a year & didn't crawl until just after Easter. I try not to worry about it too much any more I finding that he does things on his own time, when he's ready.

jjgammon 07-13-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2011Mommy
My DS doesn't say that many words either, but the doctor didn't say anything about it at his 15 month well visit. He says "mom, dad (which he hasn't said in a while), dog, & hi" but he babbles all the time & sometimes it sounds like he's saying something, but I'm not sure if I'm just hearing what I want to or if it was a fluke.

I wonder sometimes too. It SOUNDS like DS can say thank you, I love you, down, and out. Also no & unh-uh. But I'm not for sure.

He did for sure pick up uh-oh over the past month. He says it at least a dozen times a day. Usually just before or just after throwing his food on the floor for the dog :banghead: or putting something in the trash :banghead: :banghead:

His words now include hi, bye, uh-oh, mama, daddy, gone-gone, and umm (yum). His babble has also increased, so I'm thinking he's on the verge of a verbal "explosion" so to speak...

luvsviola 07-22-2012 11:53 PM

DD2 says...

Mama, Dada, Bye Bye, Duck, Abby, Beee (means Berries), Get Down, Ba Ba (bottle), uh-oh, and doggy.

mrskfs87 07-30-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcalumna (Post 15375532)
Yes, sometimes I wonder if the doctor is just super sensitive. My DD was considered "delayed" because she did not crawl at 9 months. However, she had no problem walking "on time" at 14 months without therapy.

My oldest son was like that. (Though he last year was diagnosed with a speech delay and sensory integration disfunctioin).

mrstilly 08-30-2012 07:15 PM

DS is just 17 months old. (3-29-11). He's only started saying more words in the last month. Before that he was really limited, but now he is copying what we say. He "talks" gibberish all the time though. He said mama and dada early and then that was about it. Now he says: go, down, ball, mama, dada, hi, bye, dog, cow, barn, kitty, boots (SIL's cat), mine, no, ow, more, book, red, blue, swing. He can do a few things on command, like get a book. He also knows what things are even if he doesn't say it. We tried sign but daycare doesn't do it and we weren't very consistent. He can nod his head and sign food and more.

I was worried, but then our pediatrician said that it is normal for boys to be a bit slower with language than girls and not to worry, but just keep talking to him all the time about everything.

DS was also tongue tied, but I had his cut because of nursing issues. He had frequent ear infections from November until June too, so I wonder if that had some affect on his speech.