Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Quick Help- Swollen Penis (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1414588)

Bentley'sMomma 07-03-2012 06:09 AM

Quick Help- Swollen Penis

Ds is 19 months. Last night was by far the worst sleep the whole family got since he was born. This morning, his penis is swollen...like twice as big swollen. I am bringing him into the doctor when they open in an hour. I just wanted to know what ideas you guys had so I could prepare myself if necessary.

He is uncircumcised. If it is something the doctor will prescribe antibiotics for, is there something else I can do to help instead? etc.

Okay, going to finish getting ready and go. Thanks!

TeachinAuntie 07-03-2012 06:18 AM

Re: Quick Help- Swollen Penis

I'm not sure what its called, but I've heard that they can get urine "inside" their foreskin which can cause the penis to bubble/swell--could it be that?

Good luck --my only advice is to ask your doctor NOT to retract your son's foreskin in an attempt to fix it unless it is absolutely needed & even then you should see a urologist.

For some reason our pedi (old one & new one) both try to retract my children if I don't stop them. :/ (one is circ'ed one is not)

jbug_4 07-03-2012 06:20 AM

I have never really had this issue- I only have one boy and he is circumcised so have no idea. But have you checked for a hair or something wrapped around? Thats the only thing I can think (not really educated on the care and concerns of an uncirc penis) of other then an infection that would cause swelling.

TakodasMomma 07-03-2012 06:21 AM

Do you always make sure to clean it really well? I know uncir requires a bit more cleaning than normal. It could be some sort of infection.. Which he would probably get antibiotics.

:( I hope everything is okay!!

mom2jirms 07-03-2012 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakodasMomma
Do you always make sure to clean it really well? I know uncir requires a bit more cleaning than normal. It could be some sort of infection.. Which he would probably get antibiotics.

It does? My YDS is not circ'ed and I was told not to retract the foreskin which you would do to clean it. He's almost 3 and I've never done anything differently than I did when my ODS was a baby and he is circ'ed :headscratch:

wordmama 07-03-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakodasMomma
Do you always make sure to clean it really well? I know uncir requires a bit more cleaning than normal.:( I hope everything is okay!!

this is actually not true. Uncirced penises require no different cleaning than a circed penis (except of course right after surgery when a circed penis requires diligent wound care). Do not retract, just clean around the opening of the foreskin.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Leah52 07-03-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakodasMomma (Post 15343862)

No, it doesn't. Clean it like a finger, wipe the outside, that's it.

Both of my sons are intact and the only time either had any problem was when my youngest was a few months old he had some slight redness at the tip and some ballooning (where the urine is under the foreskin). After some diaper cream the redness and ballooning both went down in just a few hours.

~happy2Bamommy~ 07-03-2012 06:59 AM

:hugs:

Please let them know upfront that if they feel he needs to be retracted, you want to be sent to an Urologist.

Belle 07-03-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbug_4
But have you checked for a hair or something wrapped around?

this. May still need a doc to resolve the problem, but it is a fairly common thing seen in er's

OneFishTwoFish 07-03-2012 07:06 AM

My son is now 4 but a few months ago he had this issue. It was swollen and a dark red. I gave him a bunch of baths in baking soda or epsom salts. Took a couple of days, but cleared up and hasn't come back. Had it continued longer or gotten worse (he was able to tell me it hurt, but not as much as before so we knew it was healing) I would have taken him in.

Little boys are tough on their penises! All that tugging can surely cause an irritation that you can't see. If you're worried, I would take him in anyway, but some baths can't hurt either!

Good luck!