Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Would it make a difference to you? (picking a pediatrician) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1414656)

kaia.aline 07-03-2012 10:09 AM

Would it make a difference to you? (picking a pediatrician)

Interviewed a pediatrician yesterday and I'm not sure if the cons outweigh all the pros or I should just deal with the cons because of all the good.

Pro-
Very well known respected pediatrician recommended by most of the doctors in the med center but is near my house (like 3 min away from me while the other pediatricians recommended were in the med center downtown)

Affiliated with a well know children's hospital so if terra has thyroid problems (my peri is concerned about this) it will be easy to get her into their endocrinology department.

Very pro breastfeeding and has a LC on staff if I need one after I leave the hospital

Leaves 5 appointments open everyday for sick babies so there is a good chance I can get a same day appt even though she is so booked

Has privileges at the hospital I'm delivering at which is not common for most pediatricians around here since I choose a hospital in the med center not one of the hospitals around here

Neutral-
Does not accept patients who don't vax (this doesn't effect me since I'm planning on vaxing but I included this so you can get a better pic of who she is)

Cons-
She does not allow delayed vaxing which I was considering, if you do not vax on schedule she will refer you to another dr

Not very friendly or happy, super blunt to the point which is fine for me but I'm having a hard time getting around the image in my mind that a pediatrician should be super happy and smiling (like arizona Robbins on greys anatomy)

She made it clear that she is very busy which is not a big deal I guess I think this is just her personality

waterisntsomething 07-03-2012 10:20 AM

Re: Would it make a difference to you? (picking a pediatrician)

I delay vaxxing which I'm not willing to compromise on so that would be a deal breaker for me.

DottieHarley 07-03-2012 10:32 AM

The only issue for me would be the personality.
-DH and I discussed the whole vax thing while pg. We planned to vax regular schedule, and DH was very adamant that he did not want a Pedi who allowed no vax (delayed vax would have been okay). He was very concerned about what happens when you mix vax and nonvax kids KWIM?
-same day sick visits are huge. also, is there a nurse you can call for times when you're just not sure, or maybe a chat with a nurse would mean you don't need to go in? what are their after hours policies?
-close by is also huge. taking sick LO to a doctor further away... not for me
-is it just one doc? What happens when she is away? Who will actually do your well baby visits, her or a nurse?
-Can YOU deal with her personality? This is pretty important because you are going to be seeing her a LOT the first month or two (even if LO is 100% healthy) and you will be tired, stressed, and unsure. A jarring personality is not going to help the situation. You really want a doctor that you feel comfortable with.

Keep in mind you can ALWAYS switch after LO arrives, although it's easier to make a decision now.

AnimalHouse 07-03-2012 10:42 AM

I wouldn't be able to compromise on the vaccination issue. We follow our own delayed/selective vaccination schedule, so there's no way I'd be able to see a doctor who didn't allow that.

I could get over her lack of personality and bedside manner, though.

isaacsmum 07-03-2012 10:45 AM

All the pros you listed are things that I'd think are pretty important. I would want those things in a ped even if I might not like their personality all that much. I want them for expertise not for someone to socialize with. The vax thing would actually be a pro for me too though - I see having a ped who doesn't compromise on vax recommendations as a high priority.

ivparker 07-03-2012 10:48 AM

The no delayed vaxing would be a dealbreaker for me even if I fully vaxed on schedule. I think when drs. have a very close minded approach to vaxing, it also may lead to other treatments. I would want a dr that cares and trusts that parents are capable of making decisions for their children.

MadeofStarStuff 07-03-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaacsmum
All the pros you listed are things that I'd think are pretty important. I would want those things in a ped even if I might not like their personality all that much. I want them for expertise not for someone to socialize with. The vax thing would actually be a pro for me too though - I see having a ped who doesn't compromise on vax recommendations as a high priority.

Totally agree. I'd be far more interested in qualifications & medical competence, rather than personality. As long as she is not outright rude, I'd go with this ped.

moobiegirl 07-03-2012 10:51 AM

I personally would not be able to get past her personality. I don't know everything and I don't pretend to know it all either, but if my doctor isn't willing to listen to my concerns or my ideas about what is happening, then I don't want to talk to them. In my experience, some medicine is a trial and error process. Especially with babies. We had lots of spit up and slow growth that we had trouble shoot through lots of appointments and different solutions. The pedi had to listen to my experience with the baby in order to offer the best advice. Good luck making your decision.

bluedaisyma 07-03-2012 10:52 AM

the vax thing would be a deal breaker for me.

I took my 5th (at 1 day old) to my older kids' ped and they wouldn't see him bc I didn't/wouldn't do the vit k (they didn't care abt the no vaxxing). they used to not care abt the vit K, and if I hadn't taken him until after he was 8 days old, they wouldn't have cared. anyway, i pulled my older kids from there.

EmilytheStrange 07-03-2012 10:52 AM

I don't really like the blunt and impersonal doctors.

I think 'bedside manner' is an important skill. I've dealt with both types and if I have a choice, I want a dr with interpersonal skills. One who will listen to me about concerns, even if they need to tell me why my concerns are unnecessary. But not brush me off.