Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   C Section Births (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   how soon after a c-section can you start to exercise? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1414700)

mariamommy 07-03-2012 11:46 AM

how soon after a c-section can you start to exercise?

I am 4 weeks out from my son's birth (my fourth cesarean). Pain is mostly gone and I am itching to start exercise to lose some weight but everything in the practical side of my brain is telling me to wait...

I think slowly starting exercising around 8 weeks after a cesarean is probably better.

What did you do?

raisingcropsandbabies 07-03-2012 04:21 PM

Re: how soon after a c-section can you start to exercise?

The doc told me after 12 weeks I could start exercising (3rd c/s), but I found I couldn't do my workout dvds until 7 months post-partum. I would be in a lot of pain the next day prior to that when I tried them. Walking would be the way to go right now, Mama.

mariamommy 07-03-2012 05:24 PM

Yep...I will be walking. Too bad its 100 degrees out, maybe that will be my "go lazy" excuse. :)

Elijah'sMama 07-03-2012 05:28 PM

at 2 months post partum after my c-section i still felt like i was going to rip in half from jogging a few steps :( id wait a bit more and then start really slow

mariamommy 07-03-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elijah'sMama (Post 15346953)
at 2 months post partum after my c-section i still felt like i was going to rip in half from jogging a few steps :( id wait a bit more and then start really slow

ouch, that stinks.

I really wasn't thinking I'd start running at this point, I'm just thinking ahead, I don't want this whole summer to go to waste with no exercising...

DragonflyMama 07-05-2012 11:29 AM

I know they say 6-8 weeks, some women take longer, some less, I was up walking and driving the next day as my son was in the NICU an hour and a half from home, I got on the elliptical at about 5 weeks I think and took it easy.

Lovinmama3 07-06-2012 09:58 AM

I joined the gym after my 6wk pp appt. with my obgyn and started working out lightly. (after my 2nd c-section in less than 2 years) By 8wks pp I upped my workout without any issues. When I was 4 months pp I was down 25lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight. :) BUT, then I found out I was pregnant again with this LO. :giggle: I would wait until after you have been seen by your doctor to do anything but walking (so 6-8wks typically) and then just listen to your body.

hbee 07-06-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovinmama3 (Post 15358731)
I joined the gym after my 6wk pp appt. with my obgyn and started working out lightly. (after my 2nd c-section in less than 2 years) By 8wks pp I upped my workout without any issues. When I was 4 months pp I was down 25lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight. :) BUT, then I found out I was pregnant again with this LO. :giggle: I would wait until after you have been seen by your doctor to do anything but walking (so 6-8wks typically) and then just listen to your body.

Me too. I only had one c-section, but I started walking about two weeks out. Seriously, I think the first time I went it was a block, and I was spent, so just take it slow and listen to your body. I wouldn't do more than walking until after the check up either.

sunshine_mama 07-06-2012 07:59 PM

I waited 8 weeks with my 1st. I had a rough delivery and recovery so i needed the time.

I started slow at 4 weeks with the other two, just made sure I was careful not to over do it.

Harmony96 07-06-2012 09:07 PM

My outermost incision was glue, which was awesome. I didn't walk "for exercise" but the distance from the hospital parking garage to the NICU was more than a few steps, including a small flight of stairs, and I did that at least daily starting the day after I got discharged, so 5 days postpartum? Everything was looking fine at my two-week visit, and when I went back at six weeks, I had no trouble hopping up onto the table or anything, and he cleared me for all activities, including exercise, at that time.