Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In June (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Will you describe your newborn's behavior for me? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1414812)

hjk 07-03-2012 02:41 PM

Will you describe your newborn's behavior for me?

Aka: Are all 3-wk olds just plain fussy all day? :headscratch: I realize this question makes me sound like a 1st time mom---and this is #3, and #2 came just a year ago, so all this should be "fresh" in my head, lol! But my first two were milk/soy protein intolerant and this time around I wanted to just cut back on obvious dairy and see how she did.... but I hate the never-ending guessing game. She slept most of the first week, a lot of the 2nd, though she had the usual "evening fussiness" then, and now in the 3rd week it's turning into all day/all night fussiness. And I would automatically assume food issues based on our history, but she's been fine as long as someone is holding her. Which is maybe just that the movement helps her tummy....arrrghhh, this is what drives me nuts! :blush:

I guess I would just love to know what other babies her age are doing right now...it would ease my mind or force me to think about cutting everything out of my diet again. I'm just too stressed right now with everything we have going on to worry about food unless I have to! Thanks!

lovebabies 07-03-2012 02:56 PM

Crashing...
I just had a little girl in May, and she did go through a fussy stage right around 3 weeks. She's 6 weeks today, and the past couple weeks have been much better! Hopefully that will be the case for you too! :hugs: One thing you might check is if your LO is getting enough sleep...they only need about an hour of awake time at a time at that age. A ring sling was a lifesaver for me too, so I could care for my other kids while wearing the baby. HTH!

bluedaisyma 07-03-2012 03:27 PM

Re: Will you describe your newborn's behavior for me?

no, keola is 5 1/2 wks and just started being REALLY fussy at night, usually from 11-12:30. but all newbies are different. do you think she is starting colic?

jiniphur 07-03-2012 03:36 PM

My new girl turns one month tomorrow and we were going through the same thing!! The first 2 weeks she sleep like crazy then week 3 was hell! She cried every waking hour. The fourth week was crappy too but we took her in to the ENT for her tonuge tie (all my kids have it) and she has improved greatly. Whether its from her tongue clipping or not there was improvement after that 3rd week. She still screams her head off every night from 11-3am but at least its not all day long. I think I just forget how much of a guessing game newborns can be. Hope your days and nights get better soon.

hjk 07-03-2012 03:54 PM

LOL-- DH says I have "sleep paranoia"...I keep a spreadsheet of all 3 girls' sleep patterns. :blush: :blush: A bit ridiculous, I know!! So while we're TRYING to get her to sleep more, the fussiness is keeping her from it---which is driving me crazy!

For our first two, it's basically "colic" until/unless I was on the MSPI diet (DD2 I started the diet from the 3rd trimester on, so she never really got bad) and I know babies are worst from weeks 2-8, but I'm just really searching for a solution that doesn't involve me eating nothing but sweet potatoes and pears! :giggle:

Thanks, mamas, for the reminders and encouragement! I think I just want to hear everyone else say that their kiddos fussed all day at this age, too, so that I'm not paranoid about every little thing I eat. Like I said, if she didn't immediately stop crying when someone picked her up, I'd know it was food issues for sure.

Why can't they all have little tickers on their foreheads for the first year or so that display information on them for us? "Tummy hurts from the piece of pizza you ate for lunch...." and similar helpful tips would be wonderful! :giggle2:

Djuna2 07-03-2012 03:56 PM

Same thing here. Felix turned three weeks and started crying a lot more. He calms quickly in the Moby.

graceworks 07-04-2012 08:13 AM

Yes my daughter is 5 weeks old today. 3 weeks old was when she really started fussing a ton unless she was being held. She hates sitting in the bouncy seat and cries the whole time she's in it but I have to put her down sometimes! She loves the ring sling and she is a good sleeper. She typically eats, is awake from 45 minutes to and hour then gets really fussy and uncomfortable looking and I take that as a sign that its time for another nap and usually it is!

The evening is rough because she usually takes a nap from 1:30-3:30 and then the rest of the afternoon/evening has no real pattern or rhyme or reason. Sometimes she wants to cluster feed sometimes she wants to go 3 hours, sometimes she takes another nap, sometimes she is hyper awake and crabby. Sometimes she goes to bed at 6:30/7 and stays asleep til 10 or 11 and sometimes she wakes up at 8 and wants to be awake and fussy for 2 hours. I can't wait til she gets a routine!!!

Hang in there! I heard a quote once..."the days are long, but the years are short"...so true with a baby...

miacatherine 07-05-2012 11:48 AM

We had 2 days/nights of fussiness around 2 weeks. Unrelated to food, she was ultra fussy, but it went away after the 3rd night. Pretty sure she has a dairy allergy since nights are hell after having heavy dairy meals/snacks.

There is a growth spurt around 3 weeks and 6 weeks. So it may seem like you just get done with fussiness only to be met with it again.

hohaas 07-05-2012 02:31 PM

We're at 2 wks but i dont remember any fussiness w my other DDs

jaelynsmommy61607 07-05-2012 02:45 PM

DS is 16 days and he only gets fussy when he wants to sleep. When its bed time he will not sleep anywhere but in the bed!