Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Hand held "gaming system" for kids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1414865)

HeatherlovesCDs 07-03-2012 04:51 PM

Hand held "gaming system" for kids

I am looking to get my children some sort of hand held gaming system for their b-days or Christmas this year (all the same time of year). I really don't know anything about any of them. I'm thinking of something like when I was a kid, like a Gameboy from Nintendo. Hopefully, that gives and idea of what I'm thinking of. I don't want/need the best around. I just want something they can play with when we are at Dr. visits or on long car trips or the like. It isn't something I want them to have access to all the time or even on a daily basis. So, something basic would do. My children are 6, 4, 4. I would like something that has the ability to have educational games, but it doesn't have to only be that. And, I like it to be able to "grow with them," meaning for the 4 year olds, they don't need a new one in a year or two because they out-grow it.

Any recommendations so I can start researching would be great! Thanks!!

HookedByCarolyn 07-03-2012 05:28 PM

I would get a Nintendo DSi. The "latest version" is the 3DS, which my mother got my boys last year for Christmas and honestly they NEVER turn the 3d on. Save yourself $80 and don't get the 3d. There are tons of games for the ds. My 3 year old likes today on the boys ds also. And I've caught my husband playing Lego Batman a few times. :giggle: So it won't be outgrown.

stevensmom 07-03-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HookedByCarolyn
I would get a Nintendo DSi. The "latest version" is the 3DS, which my mother got my boys last year for Christmas and honestly they NEVER turn the 3d on. Save yourself $80 and don't get the 3d. There are tons of games for the ds. My 3 year old likes today on the boys ds also. And I've caught my husband playing Lego Batman a few times. :giggle: So it won't be outgrown.

Yep the 3d didn't do as well as nintendo expected.

The dsi is great.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**

tonewinwy 07-04-2012 12:47 AM

Re: Hand held "gaming system" for kids

A Nitendo DS/Lite/i would probably be cool for your older Son. The 4 yr olds might like MobiGo. Both my Nephews love MobiGo. It still gets played often. The DS gets played a lot too.

http://www.amazon.com/Vtech-MobiGo-T.../dp/B00385QUTO

stevensmom 07-04-2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonewinwy
A Nitendo DS/Lite/i would probably be cool for your older Son. The 4 yr olds might like MobiGo. Both my Nephews love MobiGo. It still gets played often. The DS gets played a lot too.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?link_code=ur2&camp=1789&tag=chrisficti-20&creative=9325&path=http://www.amazon.com/Vtech-MobiGo-Touch-Learning-System/dp/B00385QUTO[/url]

We got ds a mobigo when dd was born. He was 3.75.

He plays it off and on but goes straight to the dsi if he had the choice.

Dd at 22 months likes the mobigo. Doesn't know how to play it but likes to turn it off and on :giggle2:

However she can get on the dsi and find the camera and take pictures.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**

kannondicarpo 07-04-2012 12:50 AM

Our 5 and 3yo enjoyed their Leapsters when we drove cross country form Ohio to California. They had both "fun" games and educational.

HeatherlovesCDs 07-04-2012 06:40 AM

Thanks everyone. I wonder if there is something similar to a DS that is cheaper. Not sure I'm looking to spend $300 at once for 3 of them. It would definitely be all they got for Christmas or b-day. Anyone have kids that share? Not sure how that would work for what I'm wanting them for. Maybe I'll look into the Leapster or MobiGo for the youngers. Maybe everyone can have a DS on their 7th b-day or something like that and they can use the other till then. They have never used anything other than a few games on an old ipad that I have. So, I think anything would be cool to them. Hmm...Glad I'm starting to think about this now. :giggle:

ETA - Just looking at the other 2, I'm thinking maybe the Leapster for all 3 would be the cheapest. My oldest can get a new one (A DS) in a year or so when he outgrows it and give his to one of my younger kids. I'll have to keep researching reviews and check them out in the stores. :)

tweety612 07-04-2012 07:25 AM

There are usually great deals on these on black friday and around the holidays. I got a ds lite at radio shack on clearance for $65. Not sure why they were on clearance, maybe its when the 3ds was coming out. I would get leapsters for the 4yos and ds for the 6yo. I think my ds got his first ds (hand me down from cousin) at 5yo because he had outgrown the leapster.

Sent from my DROID4 using DS Forum

luvsviola 07-04-2012 07:38 AM

While my kids love their Leapster Explorer...for the same amount of money, you can get an ipod touch, and the apps are free or cheap, and it plays Netflix if you have WiFi. My kids like it even more than the Leapster.

The prob with Leapster is that the pad is $100, and games are 20-25 each so you've got a lot of money tied up in something they will not use that long. But a ipod touch they can use for years and continue to upgrade for cheap.

P!nkPepper 07-04-2012 07:53 AM

in the past 8 months my kids were gifted a Leapster for my my now 4 yo, a DSi & a pandigital tablet for my 11 yo. They all prefer my Kindle Fire. Tons of apps, they can enjoy netflix, listen to music & get online. If I could go back I would just get them each a Kindle Fire.

Jodie ~ wife & mama