Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Air/Hotel travel with an infant (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1414975)

Hi-Dog 07-03-2012 10:58 PM

Air/Hotel travel with an infant

It's quite possible that DH,DD and I will be traveling across the country by air very soon. My DH's grandmother is entering in-patient hospice care at age 94 and we are basically waiting to get a very sad call at any moment. We also will have to get out there within a day of said call due to the Jewish tradition of burying bodies as soon as possible.

The kink in all this is our three month old and we have never travelled with a child, let alone a wee baby. Any hints are very helpful, as I don't know exactly what we're gonna do in terms of diapers, sleeping arrangements at a hotel, etc.

We cloth diaper 100%, but since we'll be at a hotel and pretty much on a whirlwind trip I think we'd buy a pack of fragrance free 'sposies or disposable inserts and bring a couple covers in case of 'sposie blowout.

As far as sleeping arrangements, she has a rock n play sleeper that she uses most nights still and I think it can disassemble and fit in our suitcase (there's something about using a hotel's pack n play that really grosses me out). I am sure I could co-sleep with her, as we nap together regularly, but being in a bed away from home and totally exhausted, I just don't know.

Ok, I will stop rambling and hope that you mamas out there can give me some tips, especially those of you who have done "last minute" travel with an infant!

TIA!

Fishie Kisses 07-03-2012 11:04 PM

Re: Air/Hotel travel with an infant

we recently traveled from CA to TX, to OK, and back to CA with all 3...DS3 was 10m at the time. Not quite as young, but... We actually did use cloth the whole 12 days, though there were nights that we stayed with friends and were able to use their washers, so that was really nice. We brought our own PnP...if you have one, I definitely would. If she's comfortable in the RockNPlay and you can break it down, I would bring that so she has a comfort of home.

ETA--I'm very sorry about your DH's grandmother. I lost my grandma last Sept and it was very hard

Mama*Kim 07-03-2012 11:09 PM

I've learned that these things are generally much harder on mama than baby. At such a young age, they are pretty go-with-the-flow. If she's used to her sleeper and its easy to bring along, go ahead, but she'll probably sleep just fine with you next to her, wherever that is. As far as diapers, it sounds like it will be quite a whirlwind trip; I'd probably just go with sposies. I think these are exactly the times they're best for.

Typos courtesy of my "smart" phone.

Fishie Kisses 07-03-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama*Kim (Post 15348774)
I've learned that these things are generally much harder on mama than baby. At such a young age, they are pretty go-with-the-flow. If she's used to her sleeper and its easy to bring along, go ahead, but she'll probably sleep just fine with you next to her, wherever that is. As far as diapers, it sounds like it will be quite a whirlwind trip; I'd probably just go with sposies. I think these are exactly the times they're best for.

Typos courtesy of my "smart" phone.

very true statement...kids are so "whatever" lol They don't have a clue what's going on half the time...mine anyway lol

joyous 07-03-2012 11:41 PM

I've traveled with my DD quite a bit. The easiest was when we went from Massachusetts to California at 2 months and then from CA to NYC at 6 months, both times alone. Our last trip to Florida was the most difficult because she was a mobile toddler.

All that to say, the air travel portion should be pretty easy, especially if you have DH with you. Based on your situation, I would use disposables. I find them easier in the airport and on planes, and it doesn't sound like you'll have a washing machine.

Do you babywear? I would wear your LO through the airport. It's much less hassle than a stroller, unless you need the stroller at your destination. As far as a carseat, you could either buy your LO a seat on the plane, have one waiting for you at your destination, or gate check it. If there are extra seats on board, they'll let you bring the carseat on.

I'm sorry about the reason for your travel. :hugs:

Hi-Dog 07-04-2012 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erika375 (Post 15348874)

Do you babywear? I would wear your LO through the airport. It's much less hassle than a stroller, unless you need the stroller at your destination. As far as a carseat, you could either buy your LO a seat on the plane, have one waiting for you at your destination, or gate check it. If there are extra seats on board, they'll let you bring the carseat on.

I'm sorry about the reason for your travel. :hugs:

Yeah, we plan on bringing as little 'gear' as possible, so no stroller. We will probably bring both my ring sling and the more structured carrier that DH likes to wear with her. We will bring a car seat; Does the airport give you a bag for the carseat or do I have to buy one? (you know, something to protect the carseat during travel . . . though it would be great if there is an extra seat on board, but I know we can't afford to buy an extra seat at the moment.

kelpie169 07-04-2012 05:33 AM

Take as little as possible. Pack only enough diapers for the plane trip and buy some when you get there. Take 3 changes of clothes-believe me two is not enough in alot of cases. Yourself included-at leat shirts. I'd wear baby in a sling or harness and forgo even having a stroller of you can. If you nurse-do it the entire flight. Or at least have it readily available at all times. People will probably look or be offended but in my experience it's the ONLY way to keep a baby that little calm the entire time. Other than that I can't think of anything but I may still. Hope it goes well (the trip).

luvsviola 07-04-2012 07:18 AM

We always use the hotels PNP, and do a lot of traveling. I take my own sheet. In all the times I've travelled (50+), they have never been gross. Most of the time, they are brand new or almost new since no one uses them. :) I would request one at your hotel for that kind of trip since it will just be a short trip.

Sposies are a must for traveling for us. We like Huggies and Target diapers because they have elastic in the back to help contain the poop, while Pampers do not.

I would bring a stroller so you have some place to put baby, and it works well as a luggage cart. IMO, strollers are a must for traveling. If you get stuck in an airport for 8 hours (yeah, happened to me), you'll be glad you have it. It also makes a place for baby to nap if you are at someone's home.

When picking your hotel, ask if they have laundry facilities. That way, if something really gross happens, you can through a quick load in.

MDever 07-04-2012 07:35 AM

I have found traveling with a baby that young is easier than mobile chatty older kids. I have taken strollers when flying because we had layovers but never my nicest stroller because they get damaged even in a gate check. I am willing to risk a stroller if I need one but would caution you about checking(gate or otherwise) a carseat. Baggage handlers are in a hurry and are not known to be especially delicate with items. Your carseat could VERY easily be damaged which would put your LO at risk. Will you be renting a car or will someone be picking you up from the airport? I would purchase a thrifty seat online and have it shipped to your family. I have installed seats in the parking garage plenty of times:chuckle:

MatildasMum 07-04-2012 07:36 AM

It's much easier traveling with a teeny tiny, for sure. Safe travels!