Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What is the best way to take an infant's temperature? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1415131)

hilaryisinked 07-04-2012 02:41 PM

My first daughter's pediatrician was adamant that we only take it rectally. Then with my second, the doctor said never take it rectally because parents don't know how far to put the thermometer in. Thankfully I haven't needed to take a temperature until now. DD2 had shots yesterday and feels warm. How do I take her temperature safely?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Angel89411 07-04-2012 03:08 PM

Our first pedi with ODS always said rectally. That is the most accurate way. Our current pedi says under the arm, add a degree and if it is over 100 then you take it rectally. You just insert the silver tip in. Use some Vaseline or KY or something on the tip. Don't add or subtract anything. The ear and forehead thermometers used at home are not accurate/consistent.

Jen's_4 07-04-2012 03:11 PM

Re: What is the best way to take an infant's temperature?

If you just want an idea, under the arm and add one degree is fine. For just an idea, forehead and ear is fine too, the forehead and ear thing that I have doesn't seem very accurate, but it might be just my thermometer. With it you can take the temp a couple times in a row and it will vary.... Rectally is more accurate. I'm surprised if you were asking he didn't show you how far to insert the thermometer. You don't want to stick it real far up in there. Basically if you make sure the tip of the thermometer the little metal coated part is in there all the way, you're good to go. Anyway, it is more accurate, and if you need accurate (if temp is getting scary high or scary low) it's the best way to go. If you don't need that accurate take it whichever way you feel comfortable and the dr. will ask you what the temp was and what method you took it with.

hilaryisinked 07-04-2012 03:20 PM

Thanks

abunchoflemons 07-04-2012 03:47 PM

I was told underarm. I did take rectally with first cuz hard to get temp other way. I then bought paci thermometer.

isaacsmum 07-04-2012 03:56 PM

For the first 2 or 3, I'd take the temp rectally because fevers are much more serious in a baby that little, and I need to have an accurate reading. After that, I take temps under arm or something. My 9 month old had her first fever a week or so ago, and never felt I needed to check her temp rectally, I had enough info from the under arm measurement.

hilaryisinked 07-04-2012 04:30 PM

I did the underarm then added 1. 100.9

neuro_mom 07-04-2012 05:24 PM

I don't know the brand name but I bought a rectal thermometer for about $10 at Wal-Mart. It has a fat bulb that you hold and a very short tip to insure that you don't insert it too far. I was really nervous about it too because the pediatrician insisted on taking a rectal temp for accuracy. I've used it a couple of times with no problems. I'm sure it costs more than a regular thermometer but I figured it was worth the peace of mind.

Aalt 07-04-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neuro_mom (Post 15351661)
I don't know the brand name but I bought a rectal thermometer for about $10 at Wal-Mart. It has a fat bulb that you hold and a very short tip to insure that you don't insert it too far. I was really nervous about it too because the pediatrician insisted on taking a rectal temp for accuracy. I've used it a couple of times with no problems. I'm sure it costs more than a regular thermometer but I figured it was worth the peace of mind.

I use the same kind. It's impossible to put it in too far. I just wish it was a little quicker at reading the temp!

babylove921 07-04-2012 07:19 PM

The Drs office uses the forehead thing, our after hours does rectal. Just to give you an idea.
At home under arm his fever was 101
Forehead was 100, rectally was 103.7