Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Early interest in potty -how to? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1415203)

nursenmom 07-04-2012 08:18 PM

My dd2 is showing interest in using the potty (says potty and wants to sit on it, has went in it twice, going longer periods dry and woke up after nap dry) and I would like to take advantage of it but I don't want to screw up either. She is 17 months which really isn't early but compared to the fact that my 3.5 year old still gets her panties wet regularly it is. How do you do it before they are able to pull their pants up and down independently? Is it best to just take them every hour to hour and a half, ask them if they need to, or have her tell me? I feel like I could have done things so much better last time so I don't want to make the same mistakes. It is also quite helpful that there doesn't appear to be a speech delay this time which I believe really hindered us the first go around. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

songbird516 07-04-2012 08:29 PM

Re: Early interest in potty -how to?

You might try checking out the EC part of the board. I did EC with my first and she was in underwear at 18 months, although we had misses until 22 months or so. Even before she can pull her underwear up and down you can just do it for her. Use a potty reducer or a little potty if you need to. Around 18 months we stopped using the little potty because my daughter has a large behind for her age and didn't need it, lol.
Timing is fine. Remember that she will probably have to pee right after she wakes up from sleeping in the morning, probably an hour or so after that, and then you can just take her periodically after that and see if she has to go. Make it fun- sing, bring a book, a toy, etc. Sometimes we took a stuffed animal and let the animal go first. With EC you use a cue also, but at her age you might not need to. A cue is usually a sound like "pssss" or "shhhhhh"- something watery. You can even make it when you go potty and then take her and make the same sound. That works for some moms. My son is 3.5 months and he pees in the potty most of the time when I cue him :)

Mac & Cheeses mom 07-04-2012 08:41 PM

DD2 started showing signs at 16m it has been a long two months. We started with having the potty chair downstairs. She fought it so we left it out, but we didn't force it. At 17m she started to try again, and with in a few weeks had started to go poo in it so we tried to get her to pee in it. And it wasn't time so we caught as much poo as we could, but pee we did not force.

She just turned 18m and started saying mommy potty. So yesterday we started trying the potty again. I cannot push her, and many times I have to act like I'm not watching.

I say go slowly, and expect a few accidents. If you have time for naked time do it, but don't get stressed.

DD2 went all day today with no accidents and wore panties. She would tell me she had to go, that way I could take off her panties for her. We even went to Walmart for about an hour and she stayed clean the whole trip.

When it clicks it clicks. Just remain calm. We also do chocolates as a reward, and now after tomorrow we might only give chocolates out for poo not both.

HTH.

Gita 07-04-2012 08:49 PM

Re: Early interest in potty -how to?

DD is 2yr 2m, potty trained if going bare butt, but as soon as you put undies on (we are using Gerber training undies because they re the only ones we can find in 18m (ie tiny) that don't cost an arm & a leg) she forgets and pees in them. Turns out she is 1) either having trouble pulling them off/on or 2) gets so engrossed in what she is doing she just forgets :banghead: I think bare butt is the way to go, but we had to put on panties because 1) DD was starting to get red down there from sitting on the floor, etc 2) she can't leave the house with no clothes on her bottom half so....

So I guess what I'm saying is that yes, there will be setbacks, but if your LO is showing interest in using the potty, use it when you can, and be sure to reward her for each success so she gets positive association with peeing in the potty. Of course parents can help get undies/trainers off/on, but sometimes kids forget to ask, don't ask clearly, and get embarrassed if they leak.

I'm sure you know all this as this is not your first go round at PLing (as it is for us), but I think an early start is great, even if you don't fully PL for a while.

nursenmom 07-05-2012 11:41 AM

My oldest daughter was the same with the potty training bare butt. That came almost 100%within a couple days but unfortunately underwear are a part of life and it took close to a year to transfer the success to include when she has panties on. I don't know what to do differently because I really don't want to go through that again.