Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   tummy sleeping (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1415311)

pottermomma 07-05-2012 09:04 AM

tummy sleeping

I know it isn't recommended but my 3w baby seems to only want to sleep on his tummy. We have him in a rock n play at night but whenever i try and sleep him in his pack n play or on the couch he cries unless he is on his side or tummy (and even his side is hit or miss)

How did you deal with this or anyone have suggestions? We are going to have to move him out of the rock n play eventually and I am a ftm that us terrified of sids.

juliasmom 07-05-2012 09:25 AM

Not really on topic, but we kept DD1 in the R&P until she was 7 months and put her in there when she had a cold until a year old. DD2 lovea it too and really never sleeps anywhere else. Once baby learns to roll, back or tummy sleeping becomes a non-issue. I would just keep using the R&P if he does well in it...if it aint broke dont fix it!

babylove921 07-05-2012 09:28 AM

My DS2 is the same. He naps on his tummy in the pnp, while I'm awake. We co-sleep at night or, the bassinet or swing.
He is 7 weeks old, 8 weeks on Sunday. He can roll over and move his head from left to right very easily. We are moving him to his crib soon. And I'll let him sleep on his tummy.
I also just got a Swaddleme, he loved it. Try that.
But in my case, he has reflux and gurgles a lot, I'm more afraid he'll choke then SIDS.

my2sweets 07-05-2012 09:33 AM

I agree if it aint broke! He's only 3wks :) A tilted bassinet(books under the head legs), head all the way to the top, a blanket between her feet and the end, and a super tight swaddle worked wonders for dd2 She loved the confinedness of it lol Dd1 also loved the swaddle but with one arm out lol But if he does well where he's at just leave him. Dont risk tummy sleeping. Its so not worth it.

mibarra 07-05-2012 10:01 AM

If it's for naps only during the day, and you can be right there to check on them, then I've done it. I would never do it for night time though.

Shimpie 07-05-2012 10:15 AM

Re: tummy sleeping

DD was a tummy sleeper at 3+ weeks. She slept fine on her back until she discovered tummy sleeping, and wouldn't have it any other way. She wouldn't sleep on her back for more than 5 mintues. I let her sleep on her tummy during naps and at night, she slept on my chest until 2 months. After 2 months, she could turn her head so I had a bit more confidence to allow her to sleep on her tummy. I figured that a whole generation slept on their tummies, and there weren't mass deaths, so she'd be okay. She had no blankets, pillows or crib bumpers in her bassinet.

Tummy sleeping bonus: no need for tummy time exercises. :blush:

kateroc 07-05-2012 10:32 AM

Both of my boys have been tummy sleepers. With DS1 we tried to get him to sleep on his back for 3 months or so before we gave in and with DS2, I think we gave in around 3 weeks. I don't say that I did it without hesitation or without any reservations... I know it's not as safe as back sleeping. But, they just wouldn't sleep any other way. With DS2, we did get an Angel Care monitor to ease my mind a little.

And yes, as Shimpie mentioned, tummy sleeping is great for babies' gross motor development. Not to say that outweighs the risks, but if you are "stuck" with a tummy sleeper, that is a bonus :)

Hopefulily 07-05-2012 11:13 AM

My baby is also a tummy sleeper. We co slept until about 3 months but we weren't sleeping well. I ended up buying an angel care monitor to ease my mind. SIDS risk goes down after baby turns 4 months also. I heard if baby can lift his head and move from side to side its not as big of a deal. As a FTM I was also sooooooo afraid of SIDS but the angel are monitor really eases my mind.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

KEandThree 07-05-2012 11:21 AM

Ive heard so many different "opinions" on the best/most preferred sleeping method.

DS1 (who is 8) slept on his tummy from day 1. My Ped at the time said it was the best way to prevent SIDS.

DS2 (who is 4) slept on his side and/or tummy. That Ped said that side sleeping was the best way to prevent SIDS.

And now...with DD (just over 2 months) she sleeps all different ways. She sleeps on her side if shes nursing in bed with me (we do co-sleep), she sleeps on her tummy if she is in her crib or on the couch when she naps, and sometimes she sleeps on her back when we're in bed and shes not nursing. Apparently now its the back that is best for preventing SIDS.

Its so frustrating always hearing something new. I just did what worked for me and my LO at the time.

tallanvor 07-05-2012 12:18 PM

Both of my girls were tummy sleepers, so I put them on their tummies. For me, the need for sleep (both them and myself) outweighed any possible risks.