Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Jan (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   What will you diaper your newborn in? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1415371)

american_mommy 07-05-2012 11:02 AM

What will you diaper your newborn in?

So I only started using cloth with baby #5 when he was 5 mths old. I wish I had found it sooner! By that time he was HUGE, seriously he was wearing 24 mth clothes at 5 mths old. So I had to buy a lot of large diapers, some of which are too big on him now:banghead:
Now I have a mix of diapers. Some are one size some are larges. I know the large won't fit but I figure some of the OS will. I have softbums and one RaR, BG 4.0. I think that is all the OS I have.
How do OS fit newborns? I think the RaR will do nice because it is small and never fit my ds well. If they weren't so expensive I would probably get more for this baby.
DH will kill me if I buy a ton of diapers:giggle: but if I need more to fit then I will have to.
I do have c-sections though, so this worries me. And my ds will be not quite 3 at the time so he may still be in diapers and the SB and BG are my favorites for him. Washing them will be a challenge. I don't see my dh wanting to do it. And our laundry room is in the basement. I don't do the stairs for a few weeks after the surgery. So I don't even know if I will get to use cloth from birth unless I can convince my dh to wash them.
But I am curious what everyone plans on using for their new little one

norrahsmommy 07-05-2012 11:31 AM

I plan on flats and prefolds once we're past the meconium stage. I just don't tg hink I can deal with it in my crappy washer. I have to find all my bigger diapers, strip and wash them, sun any that need it and then figure out storage. I'm about 99% sure they are all here but since I have moved 2 times since dd has been out of them, I am sure I will have to hunt them down in various boxes that have still not been unpacked yet. I want to buy a few newborn diapers but I am not sure how the money will work out before then since I still need a crib, changing table, dresser for dd and a new bed for her, along with a few items for the rest of the house that I haven't been able to get yet. I have more than enough flats, need more covers, but that is something I will ask for in my registry.

Kelly3139 07-05-2012 01:18 PM

Re: What will you diaper your newborn in?

For the meconium you can cut fleece liners and throw away until the meconium is gone.
For DD I started CD at 2 weeks, she was about 10 lbs at that point and had lost her cord. I used OS flip covers with prefolds, RAR's and BG AIO's in small.
This time around I am planning to CD from birth and I do not think the RAR OS will fit below the cord so I bought 12 Lil'Joeys, 12 Tinkle Trap Fitteds, and 6 Grovia Newborns. I bought all of these FSOT in EUC. You will need at least 25-30 diapers if you don't plan on washing everyday. If you washed every night you could get away with about 15.
If you are looking for an inexpensive NB option I would consider prefolds, Tinkle Traps fitteds or Orange Edge Workhorse fitteds ($5 new) with covers.
Personally I think I spent more on NB diapers than I could have for disposables until baby fit OS even buying off of the FSOT. But I bought the diapers that I wanted this time versus on a budget.

Kelly3139 07-05-2012 01:18 PM

double post

american_mommy 07-05-2012 01:30 PM

I seriously can't get prefolds right. I bought one for my ds and I just can never get it tight enough. Maybe a tiny baby would be different but I am not good at them

Tina5834 07-05-2012 02:02 PM

I'm using prefolds and newborn AIOs. I'm waiting for the Cotton babies second sale for some BGXS! Hopefully it happens soon. I CD'd my last LO, from birth, with flats and Thirsties covers.

ETA: How big are your newborns? My DD didn't fit into OS until 2 months and 10 pounds. She was 7.4 at birth.

american_mommy 07-05-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinaDeanette (Post 15355393)
I'm using prefolds and newborn AIOs. I'm waiting for the Cotton babies second sale for some BGXS! Hopefully it happens soon. I CD'd my last LO, from birth, with flats and Thirsties covers.

ETA: How big are your newborns? My DD didn't fit into OS until 2 months and 10 pounds. She was 7.4 at birth.

Oh I need to watch for that too! I have large aio and the newborn would be nice!
I did forget to mention my last baby was 10 lb 1/2 at birth so who knows how big this one will be!

Tina5834 07-05-2012 02:44 PM

How big we're your previous babies? OS would fit I think! I've heard of moms putting them on their 9 pounders with no problems.

moonlitmama 07-05-2012 08:29 PM

This will be my last baby, so I'm giving in to some fluffy temptations! My other 2 were CD'd from birth. DS was in prefolds until he outgrew them about 2 weeks later (the chunko was an average 8 lb 7 oz at birth, but doubled his weight by 3 months and almost tripled it by 6 months). For DD (8 lb 13 oz and more normal growth rate), I had a dozen PFs, awesome NB side-snapping WAHM fitteds that I scored for cheap on FSOT, and about 8 Thirsties Duos that worked amazingly for nighttime.
I've already got a list of things that I really want to try with this LO, but I'm hoping to do so without breaking the bank. Oh, but no PFs this time. About half fitteds (and wool!) and half PUL (AI2/pockets) of some kind.
Anyone have favorites?

Green Decals 07-05-2012 08:34 PM

I CDed by youngest from birth, he was born huge (10#4oz) but dropped a ton of weight and was suuuuper skinny in the legs and diaper area. Seriously, I think 2/3 of his weight was head and chest, no joke. Anyway, we used preemie and newborn prefolds with Thirsties duo size 1 covers. The XS Thirsties were way to big on him, but the duos rocked! We snappied the prefolds, and come to think of it we used flats too, but the preemie and newborn prefolds were perfect, and we folded the duo cover down until his cord fell of (we folded it in on the top, over the top of the prefold, and the snappi held it all in place). I was hesitant to use the cloth with the meconium poops, but they washed right out with no problem!