Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What do you grill? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1415407)

mumtothem 07-05-2012 12:25 PM

What do you grill?

Im running out of ideas to grill and it is way way too hot to turn on the oven.We grill the basics like hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, veggie and potato packs but thats all getting boring quick.Ideas and recipes please!

twood80 07-05-2012 08:17 PM

Re: What do you grill?

Tonight on a suggestion from a friend we grilled our chicken enchiladas - just put them in an all metal pan, covered in foil so we didn't have to worry about the lid being too tall, and put it in the grill for <1/2 the time it would have needed in the oven, and without heating up the house. No modification on the recipe other than the pan and cook time. Turned out just fine.

jbug_4 07-06-2012 05:01 AM

Pizza? I have never done it but you can. We grill veggies not in packs- portabello mushrooms, zuc, squash, tomatoes, corn... The best thing we have ever grilled is freash pineapple. It is so good. We have tried peaches which are suppose to be popular grilled and we didn't really like them.

London broil and flank steak,peppers and onions for fajitas. You can "bake" mac and cheese on the grill too.

I almost forgot- Asian Kabobs. I can dig out the recipe if your interested all I can remember off hand is they use soy sauce or maybe its terriayki sauce.

Any way thin strips of steak marinated in the sauce. Wrapped around a green onion and pinned with a toothpick. Then grill. We usually get large carrots and slice them at an angle up so the slices are thicker then the length of the carrot but also almost as long- much longer then normal slices (does that make sense?) So we can dip in sauce and grill those without them falling trough. We bought a small food tray last year so we don't have to do that anymore, but we like the grill marks. Serve with rice and dipping sauce (same as marinade). Its great with grilled pineapple as dessert.

newmommy13 07-06-2012 06:51 AM

Yesterday we grilled cabbage wrapped in bacon in foil packs. I think the recipe was called campfire piggie greens or something like that. It was good. It said to add butter but we didnt and it was still good.

MDever 07-06-2012 06:57 AM

Pizza on the grill is awesome. Home ovens cannot get hot enough to make a great pizza. I have a pizza stone that I use on the grill. I have the Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a Day and store the dough in a food safe bucket I got for free from a local supermarket bakery.

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/

DottieHarley 07-06-2012 10:02 AM

We grill pizza all the time! Better/faster/cheaper than delivery, and you can use it to get rid of all those little odds and ends that aren't quite enough to "make" something. We use flatbreads, naan, pita, or homemade tortillas for the base.
Yaki Onigiri or grilled rice balls - super easy and weirdly impressive. Make some sushi rice (we cheat and use microwave) and WHILE IT'S HOT spray your hands with nonstick spray and make golf ball sized balls. You can also add a filling like ground chicken or pork, kimchi, etc. So the balls are juuuust slightly coated in nonstick spray. Then dip your hands into a little bit of soy and rub a very, very light coating on the balls, doesn't need to be even or anything. Then grill over med/low heat until the outside is slightly crispy... the insides stay warm and soft... Yum! They are a little dry on their own so good to have a sauce with it like satay or something.
We like lamb burgers as well... just a slight change from hamburgers. Maybe give cornish hens a shot? Kids might find it either super-fun or super-awful that they look like little baby chickens (but aren't).
Meat and veg kabobs - you can use chicken, beef, pork, fish, etc. Tuna or swordfish cubes hold together nicely on the grill. Pork with pineapple and bell peppers is yummy.
Whole fish - super easy.
Grilled fruit (great with ice cream)
You could also do little satay-type sticks with strips of chicken, beef, whatever - just the change of utensil and a dipping sauce can make it seem fun and different.
Also, when it's hot - We will grill one night (chicken, say), make extra, and use it the next night in something no-cook like chicken salad or sandwiches or something.

BabyLuvinMama 07-06-2012 10:22 AM

we Grill individual Veggie Foil packs ALL THE TIME!!! makes for quick clean up everyone can season their own as the Kids like theirs a Little sweeter and the Husband likes it a little spicier... Basicly make a Foil packet place about a cup of Raw veg in the middle put a pat of Butter or a little drizzle of Oil, Salt pepper, and any other seasoning you want for a touch of sweetness add 1tsp brown sugar and you have instant Grill kits...

Glazed Carrots, brocolli, Mixed Root Veggies like turnips parsnips and squash.
get a cast iron Pan or a Good Heavy duty All metal (No plastic handles or Non stick pans) and you can make Virtually ANYTHING!!! Tamale Pie, any casseroles you would traditionally bake in the oven can be "Baked" on the grill...

Get a Good POT and you can make all the sauces on the grill as well.

Deserts bake up Fantastic and lend a little smokey flavor fruits and sweet breads like pound cake or the Like as long as sliced Thick hold up quite well Directly On the grill.

BabyLuvinMama 07-06-2012 10:22 AM

Whoops Double post IDK whats going on its happening to almost everything I post sorry :)

Indiana Mom 07-13-2012 08:32 AM

Interesting! Will try!

keonli 07-13-2012 08:57 AM

Seafood? We do fish, clams, shrimp skewers.

We grill pizza too...yum!