Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Only able to get raw milk seasonably what to do? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1415948)

vjbakke 07-06-2012 04:25 PM

Only able to get raw milk seasonably what to do?

I found some locally, it is the only one I know of here. They only produce milk during the pasture season. (we live in MN). Any ideas of what to do when raw milk is not available? Can you freeze it? Maybe we will have to go the winter without? I plan on making fresh butter milk and butter from the cream, also giving cheese making a try.

Thanks!

tallanvor 07-06-2012 07:52 PM

Re: Only able to get raw milk seasonably what to do?

You can freeze the milk, but the cream freezes a bit funny. Not bad, but you might not like the thawed milk for drinking, as the cream won't completely mix in again. My kids didn't care for the thawed milk because of the slightly different texture. Not a big deal if you cook/bake with it, though.

Butter and cheese freeze well, though. I don't know if you can do cheese and butter from cream that has been previously frozen, though.

tallanvor 07-06-2012 07:52 PM

DP

vjbakke 07-07-2012 07:25 AM

Thanks, we may have to go with an un-homogenized milk, however that one is pasteurized. I may make up a bunch of butter and freeze it.

chameleon607 07-08-2012 04:26 PM

I freeze extra milk. There is a slight texture difference when thawed, but not enough to deter me. We do drink the thawed milk, and my kids don't say anything about it...

vjbakke 07-09-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chameleon607 (Post 15369360)
I freeze extra milk. There is a slight texture difference when thawed, but not enough to deter me. We do drink the thawed milk, and my kids don't say anything about it...

thanks, do you know how long you can freeze it for?

babykanani 08-29-2012 04:16 PM

Friends of mine order raw milk online from the Amish. Wonderful products, just the shipping is a little pricy.

vjbakke 08-30-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babykanani (Post 15611094)
Friends of mine order raw milk online from the Amish. Wonderful products, just the shipping is a little pricy.

Sorry but I wouldn't feel comfortable getting milk from someplace I can't visit first. IMO sounds kinda shady. Raw milk laws vary by state as well. Here farm sale is the only legal way.