Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In July (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Sterile water injections (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1415985)

melyndie 07-06-2012 06:06 PM

Sterile water injections

Has anyone had sterile water injections in their back during labor before? I heard they can help make back labor more manageable because they somehow trick the body into changing the type of pain or the perception of pain.

I have always heard positive things about the injections, but the other day someone who had them with her midwife during labor said they were HORRIBLE. She thinks they did help with her back labor, but she said when she got them, they hurt so bad she screamed like she never has before or since. She said she doesn't think she'd ever choose to get them again. Is her experience unique?? Or have any of you had a similar negative experience?

I'm curious because my midwives do them for back labor (with consent, of course), and I was planning on having them if I have back labor again, but not if getting them feels so horrific...

Kelly3139 07-06-2012 07:11 PM

Re: Sterile water injections

I had them with DD and it was HORRIBLE! The injection was FAR FAR WORSE than any labor pain I had. It caused me to totally lose focus. I would NEVER have them again. The best thing to ease my back labor was sitting in a tub of hot water indian style and leaning forward. Those injections were the worst pain I have felt in my life I still cringe when thinking about that.

TypeAMom 07-06-2012 07:21 PM

So glad I happened upon this thread! I had a really, really terrible experience w/ this. My husband said I screamed more when they administered these than during any other part of the labor. They said they'd do 2 at the same time. They did it, I screamed, then I heard them say that they were going to do the other one. Something evil appeared in my voice and I said, "You said you were doing them at the same time!!" And they said I moved too much to do them both. I ended up delivering my baby w/ no meds (and honestly I don't know how!) so maybe these helped somewhere along the line, but I just remember screaming in pain and feeling like I couldn't control the screaming b/c it just hurt so bad. PM me if you have any other questions.

ecomother 07-06-2012 09:37 PM

Yikes! Is this the new thing now? Sounds so bazaar and painful and it makes no sense to me. Big hugs to you mamas who had these injections and suffered such pain :hugs:

melyndie 07-08-2012 07:27 AM

Wow. Thanks so much for the replies! I am surprised and a little alarmed that two more people now had the same horrific experience! I am definitely going to have to talk to my midwives about this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecomother
Yikes! Is this the new thing now? Sounds so bazaar and painful and it makes no sense to me. Big hugs to you mamas who had these injections and suffered such pain :hugs:

I don't think it's new, but usually only midwives use it (I think) who don't administer drugs. It is an alternative to transferring to a hospital for an epidural. Apparently, some women find it really helpful and worth it, but clearly that is not the case all around.

magdalynaa 07-08-2012 07:37 AM

DDC. My MW does these injections but warned me that they are very painful. She commented that lots of women only end up with one because they can't bear to get the 2nd one. I decided to just take my chances with the ctx, lol!

waterisntsomething 07-08-2012 08:10 AM

If they are so painful whats the point of getting them? I'm confused.

melyndie 07-08-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterisntsomething
If they are so painful whats the point of getting them? I'm confused.

From what I read, a majority (so says the research but not the personal testimony I have heard so far) of women are glad they got them because it helped relieve their back labor and helped them deliver naturally and stay home or at the birth center.

WalkintheRain 07-08-2012 10:51 AM

WORST pain ever :( I didn't think I could be in more pain than I was from back labor and Asher being too large...I was wrong. Those injections were horrific and did nothing for my back pain to boot. From my experience and pp's experience, I would not risk it.

Kelly3139 07-08-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melyndie (Post 15367764)
From what I read, a majority (so says the research but not the personal testimony I have heard so far) of women are glad they got them because it helped relieve their back labor and helped them deliver naturally and stay home or at the birth center.

My midwife (who has been a mw for 19 years) was actually shocked by how much pain it caused me. I think it probably helps a lot more people than it hurts. I do have to say I was doing fine in labor when she suggested the injection, no where near a breaking point. She was hoping the injection would move the contractions to the front and bring the baby down a little faster. With back labor and a sunny-side up delivery it was very slow going. Before the injection she had already turned the baby twice who refused to stay correctly positioned so I think it was a last ditch effort to get her to move. She did not move and the injection did not work. The positive side of the injection hurting so bad was that contraction pain and delivery did not hurt half as much as that injection did and pain is all relative.