Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Anyone have a child who has Panic Attacks?Help me please... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1416026)

happymom83 07-06-2012 07:50 PM

Anyone have a child who has Panic Attacks?Help me please...

My 8 yr old son just started having panic attacks(i think)....He had had 2 "episodes" a couple weeks ago...then on July 4th we were on a family drive when he started freaking out in the car:headscratch::(

and its been happening literally every hour or so(sometimes more) since then...Symptoms:
"buzzing" in hands
Cant breath
panic
fear that he's going to get sick
fear that he's going to get hurt.
anti-social
doesnt want to leave the house
super clingy
asks about his heart all the time

Im not sure what to do..Should i take him to the dr?

MDever 07-06-2012 08:16 PM

Re: Anyone have a child who has Panic Attacks?Help me please...

Oh mama that is awful. My heart just breaks for him:cry: I grew up with major anxiety and no one helped me so I am still suffering as an adult. Please seek help for him right away.

squiddles 07-06-2012 08:42 PM

doodah 07-07-2012 08:35 AM

He needs professional help.

cristy_1996 07-07-2012 10:45 AM

Oh heavens that poor kiddo! Yes, I would for sure take him in.

BeedieWeedieB 07-07-2012 11:55 AM

Yes take him in to see Ped and get the fastest referral to psych you can, they generally take a while which is why I wouldnt wait. My 8 yr old (7 at the time) started last fall only his was constant all day long and barely slept. I won't go into details but got real bad. Support for him through counseling to work on the root of problem and meds if warranted are needed as well as support for the whole family.
Pm me if you ever want to talk and good luck to your son.

ssand23 07-07-2012 12:52 PM

My youngest dd is 9 now & started with panic attacks about 2 weeks after she broke both bones in her lower arm & they were exposed 2 years ago. It was the worst thing I've seen. We had to call 911 & she needed surgery. She had always been anxious but the accident blew it out of the water.

When she began with panic attacks, I made a pedi appointment right away. They recommended therapy & we started right away. We found a sand play therapist & it was perfect since the kids use toys in the sand to explain or display how they are feeling & it's very helpful for anxious children who may be too nervous to talk with a stranger at first.

We also saw a child psychologist for a psychological evaluation. This was a big help since it gave us a formal diagnosis for generalized anxiety disorder & PTSD (from the accident) that I took to her school to give her accommodations there. Things like taking tests untimed or being allowed to go to the nurse at any time with out asking so if she feels anxious at school, they can help her, too.

Good luck!

mom to 1 little guy (12/09) & 3 big girls ('02, '99 & '94)

AfWife8405 07-07-2012 02:06 PM

I suffer from panic attacks. The "buzzing" in the hands is tingling. I definitely recommend getting professional help. It's a struggle for me but I can't imagine what it must be like for a child. At least I know that it is a panic attack and I am really okay, must be so hard for a child to comprehend. :hugs:

kattayanna_mom 07-07-2012 04:34 PM

My almost 7 yr old recently started getting them she is bipolar and ADHD too her Dr put her on Abilify last week and it seem to be helping with her moods and the anxiety attacks.

tusheez 07-07-2012 07:27 PM

:hugs:we all suffer from panic attacks here. DH has them alot. Both DS's have them but not often. I have them in the middle of the night ugh. :banghead: I would talk to your pedi.