Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   8month old not eating (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1416665)

nicolejshannon 07-08-2012 04:15 PM

8month old not eating

MY 8 month old has been refusing to nurse or take a bottle since Friday at 12pm. She has no problem eating table foods, but will not nurse or take a bottle. We keep trying with no avail.
Any advice?
She does have 3 teeth coming in
TIA

yogamama28 07-08-2012 04:21 PM

Is she getting any fluids? We are just starting teething here, but doesn't it hurt some kids to suck while teething? What if you give Tylenol prior to nursing/bottle feeding? Would that help any?

nicolejshannon 07-08-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogamama28
Is she getting any fluids? We are just starting teething here, but doesn't it hurt some kids to suck while teething? What if you give Tylenol prior to nursing/bottle feeding? Would that help any?

She's had some water, but not a lot. I've tried giving her milk in a sippy and a regular cup and she just pushes it away. I'll try the Tylenol. Thanks.

yogamama28 07-08-2012 07:27 PM

I hope she's feeling better soon! I think I'd personally just try an open cup to get fluids in. My dd also LOVES sucking the water out of a wet washcloth. Could be a way to get some fluids in if she'll go for it. I put an amber necklace on my dd too and keep it on her 24/7. It has made a big difference.

tibeca 07-08-2012 10:18 PM

Re: 8month old not eating

At this point, breastmilk should be the majority of her nutrition. Ease up on the solids and offer to nurse before and after every "meal." Offer, offer, offer. Offer to the point it is annoying to you. Allow her to hang out at the breast and keep in mind that a good nursing session at that age can be as short as 2-5 minutes. Also look up "nursing strike" on kellymom.com for more information.

nicolejshannon 07-09-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibeca
At this point, breastmilk should be the majority of her nutrition. Ease up on the solids and offer to nurse before and after every "meal." Offer, offer, offer. Offer to the point it is annoying to you. Allow her to hang out at the breast and keep in mind that a good nursing session at that age can be as short as 2-5 minutes. Also look up "nursing strike" on kellymom.com for more information.

Thanks. I'll look that up today. Unfortunately she is on a formula/BM mix due to low supply (not a new issue) but I'll keep offering her both until I get some fluids in her! I was able to get 4oz of formula in her last night when I woke her to eat (tried to get her to nurse but she didn't seem to be getting anything out. Not surprising since she had refused to nurse all weekend and I had left my pump at work. ) she nursed for about 4-5 minutes this morning. I'm hoping daycare can get a bottle in her. I restarted the dom and upped the fenugreek so hopefully that helps with my milk supply.