Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   If cost was not an option (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1417017)

fantasia1117 07-09-2012 12:32 PM

If cost was not an option

If cost was not an option what type of childcare would you choose? Would you hire a nanny? Daycare center? In-home daycare?

I have applied for several jobs recently and my status as a SAHM may be changing to a full-time WOHM. My DH were thinking of hiring a nanny should I get a job offer, but honestly we have never needed childcare before. We have two boys 22 months and 4.5 years. My 4.5 yo will be attending preschool in the fall 5 days a week 8:30am to 12pm. My DH currently works 5 days/week one week and 4/days the next week. He will likely have the option to telecommute one day per week in a few months. Even if he was working at home we would still need childcare, as he wouldn't be able to work and watch the boys.

What would you pick and why? :goodvibes:

TS8213 07-09-2012 12:35 PM

Re: If cost was not an option

I only work 3 days/wk (but still FT) so I'd have someone come to our home if I could. I don't need them to do any cleaning, laundry or anything. Just help the kids with homework and run them to/from appts and/or practices/lessons if DH is running late from work.

Ladyflower 07-09-2012 01:23 PM

In your situation I would go for the nanny so that she can take your 4.5 year old to preschool. Otherwise how were you planning to handle that? Does your dh work a night shift that he would be able to take him? Our kids are in an in home daycare that I love, but our oldest couldn't go to preschool because dh and I both work and had no way to get him there. Thankfully our daycare did have a preschool program so he was prepared for Kindergarten. I do think daycare is great for socialization, which your kids won't get with a nanny, but unfortunately sometimes you have to sacrifice some things over others.

doodah 07-09-2012 01:42 PM

I agree with the PP. If you need someone to pick up your son at preschool, the only option will be a nanny. It will be very hard to find an in-home provider that will be able to do this (but not impossible). If you cant afford preschool AND a nanny, then your next option would be to go with a center or in-home provider that provides a preschool program in addition to regular full day, daycare services. I really think that your finances will be the biggest deciding factor. Even if money was not an issue, I personally would still consider some in-homes or daycares just for the socialization aspect for your 22 month old. You would know his personality the best....is he going to be bored out of his mind with one person, no other kids all day, every day?

Haleybailey 07-09-2012 02:18 PM

I am a nanny, so obviously a little biased, but I just wanted to say that staying with a nanny does NOT mean that your child will have no socialization. We go out every morning to a park, story time, play group, the beach, then go home for a nap (in their own bed!) and when they wake up we have snacks and go to a park near by or a nice walk around the neighborhood. We see lots of kids and adults all day long. Being cared for by a nanny has a lot of the same benefits of a SAHM, less germs, one on one attention, similar structure in the day and activities that you normally do with your kiddos. At 22 months I wouldn't be too worried about socialization or being in a classroom setting yet! Plus you can find a nanny who will cloth diaper! Good luck!!!

flynnsmom 07-09-2012 02:23 PM

I would choose a cool progressive preschool/daycare center that is nature-centered in some way. My kid is very social and would be bored stiff with a nanny, even a very good one. My kid is also the type that wants to go to school every day, and would be disappointed if I was a SAHM too.

Psychomom 07-12-2012 12:35 PM

Nanny. I would want someone to be able to take my children to and from activities, go to the library, park, etc.

Sarai* 07-12-2012 03:31 PM

With one child, out of home care worked better, was cheaper, and she enjoyed the stimulation, etc. With 2 kids, a nanny definitely worked out better -- cheaper than 2 in daycare, she didn't "close" , she'd watch the kids if they were too sick for school/daycare, but not sick enough to be concerning, (think bad cough, or starting antibiotics for an ear infection) we didn't have to rush to pick someone up, she could drive to piano lessons, she was a total sweetheart, and frequently started dinner, etc. etc.

Sha-nanagins 07-12-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haleybailey (Post 15374224)
I am a nanny, so obviously a little biased, but I just wanted to say that staying with a nanny does NOT mean that your child will have no socialization. We go out every morning to a park, story time, play group, the beach, then go home for a nap (in their own bed!) and when they wake up we have snacks and go to a park near by or a nice walk around the neighborhood. We see lots of kids and adults all day long. Being cared for by a nanny has a lot of the same benefits of a SAHM, less germs, one on one attention, similar structure in the day and activities that you normally do with your kiddos. At 22 months I wouldn't be too worried about socialization or being in a classroom setting yet! Plus you can find a nanny who will cloth diaper! Good luck!!!

Yes, this. A child with a nanny is a very similar thing to being with SAHM. Nanny can take the child to play groups, etc. But your child is not forced into an all-day-long social situation with a large group of other children. And not all the social skills they pick up from other children are ones you would necessarily like for them to learn.

Another issue to consider with a center is that it's their way, period. Don't want your child exposed to certain chemicals? Prefer them to eat a specific way? Your center may or may not be able to accommodate. Here, State law specifies cleaning/disinfecting daily (some items, such as potty chairs) after each use with chlorine bleach. The law also spells out what children must be given to eat and how often. There are also provisions about which centers can or cannot accept cloth diapered babies. Each group in the center will follow a learning curriculum based on the ages of the children, not on their individual abilities. Private care allows you to decide those issues based on your and your child's individual preferences and abilities.

flynnsmom 07-12-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sha-nanagins (Post 15391728)
Yes, this. A child with a nanny is a very similar thing to being with SAHM. Nanny can take the child to play groups, etc. But your child is not forced into an all-day-long social situation with a large group of other children. And not all the social skills they pick up from other children are ones you would necessarily like for them to learn.

Another issue to consider with a center is that it's their way, period. Don't want your child exposed to certain chemicals? Prefer them to eat a specific way? Your center may or may not be able to accommodate. Here, State law specifies cleaning/disinfecting daily (some items, such as potty chairs) after each use with chlorine bleach. The law also spells out what children must be given to eat and how often. There are also provisions about which centers can or cannot accept cloth diapered babies. Each group in the center will follow a learning curriculum based on the ages of the children, not on their individual abilities. Private care allows you to decide those issues based on your and
your child's individual preferences and abilities.

I know I am lucky, because my child's daycare/preschool will feed him what I pack, they cloth diapered him when he was in diapers, and I feel his individual needs are nurtured. I forget how lucky I am to live where I do when I read posts like this.