Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Aug (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Hospital/BirthingCenter/HomeBirth....What's in your bag? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1417377)

BLargy 07-10-2012 02:34 AM

Everybody has a "baby is coming bag"....what's gonna be in yours?

My bag is for a hospital birth and its pretty hardcore...mainly because I don't know if I will be giving birth 45min or 1hr 15min away since my hospital will move to a new location right after my due date.I want to make sure if I need to go I don't forget stupid things like nursing pads and nipple cream....like I did with ds.

I have two bags...one for hubby and I, one for baby.

In my bag is:
Already packed
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Mouthrinse
Floss
Shampoo
conditioner
Body wash
Lotion
Deodorant
Q-tips
Razor
Hair ties
Hair brush
Cloth wipes
Small wetbag
Episiotomy spray
Gum
Tictacs
Peanutbutter crackers
Fruitsnacks
Eyeliner
Eyeshadow
Mascara
Robe
Nursing pads
Sox X2
Cardigan
Nursing bras x2
Sweatpant
Nursing tank
Slippers

last minute-
My pillow
Tablet+charger
Phone charger
Hubby change of clothes(if he is at work when I go in...mechanic stinky)
Cover-up makeup
Going home outfit(me...probably just a dress)
Coconut oil(in freezer)

Finish -
Nightgown
Labor gown
Rice pack

Baby bag(I know its overkill BUT my hubby is incapable of packing it and its also my all day diaperbag)

Swaddle blanket
Burp cloth
Nb onsie
Nb outfit
Premie outfit
Sleep gown
0-3mo sleeper
Going home outfit
Cjs
Wipes wash bottles x2(two diff formulas)
Sm cover w/2 prefolds
Nb cover w/2 prefolds
2 AI2 nb diaps
Wetbag
Disposable liners
2diff brands of pacifiers
Hair bows
3pairs of sox
A bonnet
Pair of baby legs.
Changing mat
Ring sling

jcalumna 07-10-2012 05:00 AM

Re: Hospital/BirthingCenter/HomeBirth....What's in your bag?

I am also planning a hospital birth since my plan is to attempt a VBAC at 16 months past my DD's birth. If I don't go into spontaneous labor by 41 weeks, then it's another C-Section for me. My preferences in order are: (1) VBAC, (2) C-Section without labor & (3) C-Section with labor.

However, this time I'm finding myself a little more scared of labor than my first birth. Last year I was induced & labored for over 29 hours before having a C-section because the baby had not dropped below Station 0 after 2 hours of pushing.

I feel like I am behind the 8-ball this time. I have not yet written my birth plan (and my next prenatal appointment is tomorrow) NOR have a made a list of things to pack for the hospital! I really need to get on the ball here!!!

My Mom visited last week & helped me organize our baby clothes, so we have most of our newborn clothes already unpacked.

I appreciate you posting your packing list to help other mamas!!!

tibeca 07-10-2012 06:26 AM

As a third time mama (and 2nd time homebirther) I don't have any type of bag packed or a plan for one. In the case of an emergency transfer, no one is going to remember that bag. My sister will be here, so she'd be able to manage to pack a decent bag after the fact.

But, I'll probably now make a list of what to pack, JIC. I'd hate to pack the bag, only to have to unpack it post partum.

List:
-4 nursing bras. I'm a heavy leaker and went through 3 bras in one day last time I was in the hospital. Not to mention how sweaty you get... bleh.
-At least 1 dozen breast pads
-6 pairs of underwear (you get so sweaty after birth and I hate feeling the least bit damp)
-a bag of "thin" sanitary napkins. I hate the bulky ones and the last time the hospital didn't have any "thin" style. I didn't mind having to change them frequently and didn't find the bulky ones held up any better than the thin ones.
-3 changes of clothes (shorts/t-shirts). I don't wear hospital gowns while at the hospital.
-Toothbrush and paste, floss.
-hairbrush plus 1 extra hair tie.
-Shampoo, conditioner, soap, facewash (I have scent sensitivities, so these are a must)
-deodorant
-Laptop
-Camera
-nb sized snap shirt
-1 receiving blanket for covering baby, wiping spit up, etc.

If I end up at the hospital, you better believe that I'll be taking all the disposable diapers and wipes they have, so need to pack anything for that type of bag. We only live 25 minutes from the hospital, so won't bother with anything else for baby. We'll nurse before we leave and drive straight home, so no need for anything special beyond that.

ecomother 07-10-2012 07:37 AM

OMG you ladies are prepared! My bag is still lacking, but I got a burst of contractions yesterday and hurriedly got to packing. I'm planning a hospital birth, but am also prepared for a UC since my last two were. The hospital is 10 miles from us, but at rush hour here it takes at least 45 min. to get there so if labor is going quickly at rush hour then UC is highly likely (I have super fast labors).

Hospital bag:
3 pairs underwear
2 Nursing bras
2 pairs maternity pants
2 maternity tank tops
Huge t-shirt
Button down gown
2 pairs thick socks
Toothbrush
Lanolin
Nursing pads
Phone charger
Hair ties
Preemie and nb shirts/outfits
Copies of birth plan
Ring sling and wrap
Clothes, toiletries, etc. for DH

UC box:
Underpads
Peri bottle
Cord clamp
Scalpel for cutting the cord
Sterile gloves
Mesh underwear
Postpartum pads
Herbal cord care
Alcohol pads
Receiving blankets
Baby hat

1healthylady 07-10-2012 11:44 AM

We're planning a home birth, so I don't plan to pack a bag. Like PP said, if we have to transfer I doubt we'll remember the bag, but we only live 5 minutes from the hospital, so either DH or a friend can go back and grab stuff for us. The only things we'll really need to remember are my ID, insurance card and JIC birth plan, for what that's worth. I do plan on having a JIC list of things to take with a general idea of where to find these things, and depending on the severity of the transfer we can pick and choose what we take as we're getting ready to go.

BLargy 07-10-2012 12:42 PM

So for those doing home births, you don't have an at home birth kit you get ready?

1healthylady 07-10-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLargy (Post 15379479)
So for those doing home births, you don't have an at home birth kit you get ready?

I have a 'Birth Box' that has to be ready by the time I get to 36 weeks so when I go into labor all the necessary supplies are in one place. It's mostly done according to the list my MWs gave me. In it is the Birth Kit ordered from Precious arrows (bulb syringe, disposable underpads, newborn paper tape measure, iodine scrub brush, a peri bottle, etc.), 2 sets of sheets with instructions on making the birth bed in case I want out of the pool, a bunch of towels, wash cloths, a roll of toilet paper, a roll of paper towels, a few shower curtain liners, flashlight, thermometer, a box of trash bags, oxy-clean (still need to get this), bowl for placenta (and this), a pot with a lid, H2O2, maxi pads with wings (hopefully i'll have time to make PP mama cloth instead), 6 receiving blankets, 2 baby hats, 2 NB outfits, diapers, t-shirts to labor in, a robe, socks for me, hair ties. I also still need to make a rice sock to add in there.

BLargy 07-10-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1healthylady

I have a 'Birth Box' that has to be ready by the time I get to 36 weeks so when I go into labor all the necessary supplies are in one place. It's mostly done according to the list my MWs gave me. In it is the Birth Kit ordered from Precious arrows (bulb syringe, disposable underpads, newborn paper tape measure, iodine scrub brush, a peri bottle, etc.), 2 sets of sheets with instructions on making the birth bed in case I want out of the pool, a bunch of towels, wash cloths, a roll of toilet paper, a roll of paper towels, a few shower curtain liners, flashlight, thermometer, a box of trash bags, oxy-clean (still need to get this), bowl for placenta (and this), a pot with a lid, H2O2, maxi pads with wings (hopefully i'll have time to make PP mama cloth instead), 6 receiving blankets, 2 baby hats, 2 NB outfits, diapers, t-shirts to labor in, a robe, socks for me, hair ties. I also still need to make a rice sock to add in there.

See even your list reminded me on my rice bag I made. Now I am gonna add that to my original list! I think i'll just make another one though cause I think I want one thats a different size. The one I made is big enough for my whole back! I have tons of postpartum pads preped in my freezer so I will have mom bring some at hospital cause she lives in my hospitals town maybe 5min away.She doesn't know that yet though...LOL

1healthylady 07-10-2012 02:57 PM

I plan to make a kinda big rice bag out of an old dish towel, trimming it down to a little smaller than a heating pad. I'm going to use flax seeds instead of rice. It's supposed to take a little longer for it to heat up, but stay warm longer too.

BLargy 07-10-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1healthylady
I plan to make a kinda big rice bag out of an old dish towel, trimming it down to a little smaller than a heating pad. I'm going to use flax seeds instead of rice. It's supposed to take a little longer for it to heat up, but stay warm longer too.

Awesome I have tons of fabric so I am making them out of scraps. Thanx for the tip on the flax seed!