Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   C Section Births (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Those with Multiple C-sections-a question for you. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1417979)

boogamama 07-11-2012 09:56 AM

Those with Multiple C-sections-a question for you.

Hi Ladies :)

I'm expecting my fourth baby via fourth c-section on the 31st of this month. I'm a bit nervous, since there will be just under 17 months between c-section #3 & 4, and also fourth in 5 years. I have had no complications, and relatively easy recoveries in the past. My first c-section experience was great, baby perfectly healthy, no issues from the surgery, but babies #2 & 3 (born @ 39w4d & 40w1d) both had slight complications with their breathing. I'm unsure why my first son (2nd section) had breathing issues, but my second son (third section) was most likely due to his head being caught in the septum of my uterus (bicornuate), after my water broke unexpectedly & was contracting (had been planning a vba2c, found out last minute he was breech, had not yet scheduled c-section).

So, for moms that have had 3+ c-sections (especially those with c-sections under 18 months apart), have you noticed an increase in complications, either for baby or yourself? No increased issues? I guess I'm really just looking for encouragement. TIA!

raisingcropsandbabies 07-11-2012 11:09 AM

Re: Those with Multiple C-sections-a question for you.

((hugs)). I've had 3 c-sections in 3 years (4th baby though... 4 kids in 4 yrs). There were 19 mos. between my 1st and 2nd c-section and 17 mos. between my 2nd and 3rd c-section.

My babies have handled the c-sections just fine. C-sections cause an increased risk of respiratory issues in infants, but fortunately, we haven't had to deal with that.

I had a lot of scar tissue build up after my 2nd c-section... it hurt to pee because scar tissue had attached itself to my bladder (and I had pain other times too) and was painful all the way up to my 3rd c-section. My son was 12lbs.2oz and I wonder if that could have played a factor as to why I had sooo much scar tissue... who knows... Anyway, I was nervous about the 3rd c-section because of that!

During my 3rd c-section, the doctors spent a LOT more time getting to the baby and after they pulled her out, they spent a lot of time on me, trying to remove these adhesions. Unfortunately, they did knick my bladder when trying to remove some scar tissue from it. BUT after a week, I felt the urge to pee again and have had no problems since. Another plus is that the doctors did a great job removing adhesions and build up and I haven't had pain like I had after my 2nd c-section... Praise the Lord! That c-section was triple the time of what my other 2 c/s had been But so worth it. I love that I can pee now and not cry! haha. So overall, my 3rd c/s recovery was much better than my 2nd in that area.

I don't know your normal healing time during recovery, but my doctor says to give yourself more time to heal the more c-sections you have. It seems some women heal so quickly after theirs and other women take longer. It takes me a bit longer with each one. There are a lot of women on this board that say the more c/s they have, the easier the recovery, so I know it's all very individualistic. So don't be too discouraged.

Do you have someone coming to stay with you to help you out?

boogamama 07-11-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies (Post 15384659)
((hugs)). I've had 3 c-sections in 3 years (4th baby though... 4 kids in 4 yrs). There were 19 mos. between my 1st and 2nd c-section and 17 mos. between my 2nd and 3rd c-section.

My babies have handled the c-sections just fine. C-sections cause an increased risk of respiratory issues in infants, but fortunately, we haven't had to deal with that.

I had a lot of scar tissue build up after my 2nd c-section... it hurt to pee because scar tissue had attached itself to my bladder (and I had pain other times too) and was painful all the way up to my 3rd c-section. My son was 12lbs.2oz and I wonder if that could have played a factor as to why I had sooo much scar tissue... who knows... Anyway, I was nervous about the 3rd c-section because of that!

During my 3rd c-section, the doctors spent a LOT more time getting to the baby and after they pulled her out, they spent a lot of time on me, trying to remove these adhesions. Unfortunately, they did knick my bladder when trying to remove some scar tissue from it. BUT after a week, I felt the urge to pee again and have had no problems since. Another plus is that the doctors did a great job removing adhesions and build up and I haven't had pain like I had after my 2nd c-section... Praise the Lord! That c-section was triple the time of what my other 2 c/s had been But so worth it. I love that I can pee now and not cry! haha. So overall, my 3rd c/s recovery was much better than my 2nd in that area.

I don't know your normal healing time during recovery, but my doctor says to give yourself more time to heal the more c-sections you have. It seems some women heal so quickly after theirs and other women take longer. It takes me a bit longer with each one. There are a lot of women on this board that say the more c/s they have, the easier the recovery, so I know it's all very individualistic. So don't be too discouraged.

Do you have someone coming to stay with you to help you out?

Thanks for your input! There really isn't much to do, besides trust the Lord with all of this, but someimes the fear creeps in.

My husband will be taking at least a week + off from work, and my in-laws have said they will help with our other kiddos that first week, as well.

I'm probably most concerned about getting the baby & myself safely through the c-section, but again, that's where I'm needing to trust the Lord the most right now.

Thanks again! :)

raisingcropsandbabies 07-11-2012 01:07 PM

I TOTALLY understand... That last month of pregnant, esp, I start to have anxiety about the c-section. It's hard not to! I tell people how strange it is to know "In 12 days, I am going to be laid on a table, etc...." Big hugs!!!
I asked for a lot of prayer from friends and family for my emotions during that time. I tried to remember that Bible verse about taking captive every thought. That helped me too.

Also, distraction was a must. The last 3 weeks of my pregnancy, I tried to schedule something every other day and the last week, about every day! If we were busy, then I wasn't alone with my thoughts or fears. Plus, I knew that once I was laid up, recoverying, that I wouldn't be able to do those activities with the kids for awhile. So we did the zoo, pumpkin patch, parks, playdates, etc. That REALLY helped a lot!

Is there a way you could have your husband help you out and THEN have your other family? Like stair-step them? It'd give you a longer time period of help. I tried to save most of my freezer meals for when all my help was gone (4 weeks' worth).