Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Soy free? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1418177)

justineybean 07-11-2012 04:02 PM

Soy free?

My DS has had a lot of digestive issues since he was a baby. We tried eliminating dairy and soy before but the results were not consistent. Finally we had blood work done (food sensitivity panel) and found he is sensitive to soy and peanuts. He never eats peanuts anyway but soybean oil and/or soy lecithin are in everything!! I need ideas for soy free bread and crackers mostly but any other help is much appreciated! :)

Btw-he is 4 and has autism and has a pretty limited diet already. I found that Annie's organic cheese and graham cracker bunnies are both soy free (they use safflower/sunflower oil) but haven't had a chance to look for bread. Making it myself is an option too but I'd like to be able to make a lot and freeze it if I can!

Thanks in advance! :)

KaseyW 07-11-2012 04:51 PM

Re: Soy free?

I just checked our bread situation, our Whole Foods bread contains soy but our Rudis Organic Bakery hamburger buns don't! Not sure if they have sliced bread but worth checking out! We didn't get it at Whole Foods but another, comparable, local market.

Hope you're able to find what you're looking for!

mommy2sammy 07-11-2012 05:13 PM

The rudis sliced bread is kind of yucky :-(
Maybe udi's?

newtwinmom 07-11-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy2sammy
The rudis sliced bread is kind of yucky :-(
Maybe udi's?

Really? I love my 100% whole wheat and am perfectly ok with the ingredient list. Just looked and it IS soy free!

JennyAnneC 07-12-2012 06:00 AM

Ds2 had milk /soy protein intolerance as an infant (he out grew it). I was breastfeeding and cut out all soy from my diet but after seeing a dietician learned I could eat soy fats, ie. soy lecithin. Not sure it would work for your ds. The dietician we saw specialized in pediatric allergies and had tons of info for me about shopping and reading labels. Our insurance covered the visit but her fee was really reasonable.

There were 2 brands of 100% whole wheat bread that were completely soy free. I'll look next time I'm at the store.

sleepydaisy 07-12-2012 06:02 AM

Yes Rudi's is soy free. I really like all there breads. They have sliced, burger buns, I think hot dog buns, bagel thins, sandwich thins, etc.

UmmKira 07-12-2012 06:05 AM

Van's also makes a dairy free, gluten free, and I think soy free waffles. Rudi's makes bagels that are ready good GF, DF, SF. You could fairly easily make a batch yourself and probably save some money doing so.

Sent from my phone using DS Forum

mommy2sammy 07-12-2012 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtwinmom

Really? I love my 100% whole wheat and am perfectly ok with the ingredient list. Just looked and it IS soy free!

Sorry, we are talking about 2 different rudis, lol! We used the GF which was a crumbly mess :-(
I didn't know that they carried mainstream soy free breads. (blushing and hiding behind phone)

justineybean 07-12-2012 09:21 AM

Oh thanks for the suggestions!! We have had Udi's GF which was very yummy but I haven't tried Rudi's before - its not GF right? And we also have had Vans waffles and DS loves them. I was unsure if they are SF. Hope I can find the bread you guys suggested. Our grocery stores are not too great in the rural south. :giggle:

I think I may try to find a dietician to see. I am a little unclear on how much we need to avoid and that would be really helpful! Thanks :goodvibes: great idea!!