Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Staying in a hotel for a week...feed us from our own fridge! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1418189)

blane,j,&morgansmom 07-11-2012 05:39 PM

Staying in a hotel for a week...feed us from our own fridge!

Hi! I need assistance! This week we stayed in a hotel for a week (mini vaca) in a small town and we ate out...every.meal. WOWZERS! This coming week we plan on doing the same.

(my dh works out of town and we are going to spend some time with him! yay!)

I cant afford, nor do I want to live on Subway and A&W for a solid week. The nearest store to where we are is about 20ish minutes away. I'd like to take as much food as I can from home to avoid spending a fortune eating. Breakfast is covered by the hotel. So that leaves lunch and dinners. We will only have a mini fridge in the room no microwave...yes I know I am dwindling away the possibilities.:giggle:

Please help me feed my crew! It will be me, dh, 11yo dd, and 3yo ds.
So far I have packed-sodas(addicted:blush:), juice boxes, juice packs, pb crackers, fruit snacks, gogo applesauce packs and bottled drinking water.

Help!!

stevensmom 07-11-2012 05:41 PM

Sandwiches
Salads
Can you bring an electric grill? Or a George forman? :giggle2: or even a crockpot?

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**

blane,j,&morgansmom 07-11-2012 05:43 PM

Re: Staying in a hotel for a week...feed us from our own fridge!

Well, you might be a genius! However then comes the question of storing the food. When I say mini fridge, I mean mini.

justineybean 07-11-2012 05:44 PM

Carrots, hummus, pita, bananas, tortillas to make wraps with salad stuff and whatever else you like in it. :)

ETA--bean salad, you could make it beforehand. I agree with PP bring a cooler & fill with I've from the hotel!

stevensmom 07-11-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blane,j,&morgansmom
Well, you might be a genius! However then comes the question of storing the food. When I say mini fridge, I mean mini.

Ice chest.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**

blane,j,&morgansmom 07-11-2012 05:50 PM

hmm also wondering if I could sneak in our tiny microwave? Or is that against the rules do you think?
The Foreman is a great idea. Maybe the pre cooked patties? And have a little "cook in". :)

vatblack 07-11-2012 05:54 PM

Most vegetables and fruit will last a week not stored in a fridge. They taste better that way too.

If you take a crocpot, then you can make a lot of vegetable type stews. That way you can keep the meat in a fridge.

When I was young we lived in an apartment without a fridge. We'd buy chicken and cheese and keep it in an ice box then eat it up as soon as we could. We bought new meat every 4th day or so. Since you have a mini fridge too, you can have some meat in there too.

Or used canned meats only for the week.

Hope this gives you a few more ideas.

mommy2sammy 07-11-2012 06:07 PM

Due to food allergies, when we go on vacation, I cook most of the time. I take a George Forman and a small microwave and make whatever we would normally eat like summer food, grilling, grilled cheese, canned soups, grilled veggies, salads, premake rice at home and heat in the microwave, things like that. It's not too difficult and much healthier!

ArronDalesMama 07-11-2012 06:22 PM

For dinner I would use a small ice chest and prepare some crock pot dinners in gallon baggies. That you would only need to add water or broth too. (or canned goods or whatever) that way all prep is done before hand. 6 premade baggies is way less space than all the ingredients.

You could do:
Roast with potatoes and carrots, use water or a can of coke (give lunch the next day)
Chicken with rice and veggies (premeasure rice in separate baggy)
Bean and cheese enchaladas , use green sauce, premake enchaladas,

Baked potatoes and corn on the cob can be made in the crock pot. Just wrap in foil. Could do some pork chops underneath.
Precook spaghetti and toss it in a baggy with the sauce. Serve with bread and butter.

For lunch I would do tuna sandwiches, leftovers. Say you make a roast one night, use the leftovers for tacos. Or taco salad or BBQ sandwiches. Sides of fruit. Even Ramon (use hot water from the coffee pot) I love to just eat crackers, cheese and summer sausage. Perfect easy fast lunch.

blane,j,&morgansmom 07-12-2012 09:43 AM

I knew you ladies would be full of wonderful ideas! Keep 'em coming!
Thank you Thank you!