Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   My pantry runneth over. How can I plan to use up extra food?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1418527)

dancermommy1 07-12-2012 12:45 PM

My pantry runneth over. How can I plan to use up extra food??

I am hopelessly unorganized and don't have time to get in and clean it all out comprehensively. Anyone have tips for how they use up the extras in their pantries? I think I could feed us for at least 2 weeks or more without buying anything from the store but milk, eggs, bread, and meat.

mebl0901 07-12-2012 01:52 PM

Re: My pantry runneth over. How can I plan to use up extra food??

I just sit down and make a list of meals I can make based on what's in the house.

Give me more details of what you've got and I can try and help better. :)

ittybittycoconuts 07-12-2012 04:24 PM

depends on whats in there. Have you ever done a meal plan?

tesslouise 07-12-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mebl0901
I just sit down and make a list of meals I can make based on what's in the house.

Give me more details of what you've got and I can try and help better. :)

I just did that. :) Tho in our case we're too darn broke to buy anything till hubby gets paid in eight days. :p

I went through my recipe cards and my list of the contents of the freezer. OP, a list like that is a great place to start. Organizing is daunting, but once it's done, it's done!

dancermommy1 07-12-2012 08:02 PM

Sigh. So what you're saying is I can't have a plan until I know what I have. I was hoping you'd work a miracle and just tell me what I can fix :giggle:

Oh well. We have weeken company but I guess once they are gone I'll start the process...

ittybittycoconuts 07-12-2012 08:06 PM

Until we psychicly reach into your kitchen my plan of attack is meat, choose a starch and veggie to go with.

jessica377 07-12-2012 08:14 PM

If you don't feel like taking an inventory, then I would just go day by day. Pull some stuff out each day and soon it will be dwindling. No magic needed :)

Hands&Fire Pottery 07-12-2012 08:33 PM

Try skipping grocery shopping and make do... that ends up happening here sometimes. Not ideal, but everyone does get fed.

mebl0901 07-12-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikkicaligirl
Until we psychicly reach into your kitchen my plan of attack is meat, choose a starch and veggie to go with.

Yep! That's what I do - meat, starch, veggie. That's the easiest way to go about it. Unless you can throw stuff together for one pot meals like lasagna or soup or something. I would check Pinterest or other sites for crockpot meals. Lots of those are "everything but the kitchen sink" type recipes that will use lots of pantry staples.

mel j 07-13-2012 04:13 AM

If I knew what was in your pantry... :giggle:

But yeah I'd suggest going little by little and making lists of meals or snacks you could make based on what you have already in your pantry/fridge/freezer.