Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   C Section Births (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Severe ankle swelling after c-section (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1419151)

aimeeturd 07-13-2012 08:35 PM

Severe ankle swelling after c-section

Did anyone have severe swelling in their ankles about 5 days post c-section? I'm just wondering if this is normal and what I can do to make it go away. I also had mild preeclampsia so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Thanks in advance!

dmj 07-13-2012 09:11 PM

Re: Severe ankle swelling after c-section

I would contact or go to your dr. asap (not the er, but an appointment). Swelling can mean so many things that it is difficult to tell what the issue is. If you get any pain in your leg that feels like a charlie horse, red streaking down your leg, trouble breathing or your leg is red and feels hot to the touch get to the er right away! If you have of those signs you could have a blood clot! If the blood clot travels to your heart, lungs or brain you can have a serious problem.
I had 2 blood clots in my leg after knee surgery and a 3rd one moved to my heart. The 3rd one broke up when it hit my heart, so it only had about 100 tiny blood clots when they hit my lungs. I am fine now. I had to spend almost 1 week in the hospital, 6 months on blood thinners and now I have to wear a compression stocking. Blood clots can be common after certain operations (knee surgery) as well as child birth and c-sections as well.
Just keep an eye on it. Keep it elevated and try to stay off of it as much as possible.

Joyful Tie Dyes 07-13-2012 09:23 PM

pre-e can get worse after birth. I'd call your OB asap.

ulawolf 07-13-2012 09:25 PM

Ankles and leg swelling can occur after iv fluids. Mine were like sausages for about a week. Call your dr if your concerned but i bet it could be from that.

raisingcropsandbabies 07-14-2012 04:59 AM

-Because you had pre-e, I would call the doctor. It could be related to that so you better check in just to rule that out.

-It also can be normal (all the iv fluids they pump into you during and after the c-section can cause swelling for the first week... I had it with all 3 of my c/s recoveries).

joeslittlewoman 07-15-2012 07:00 PM

I'd call the doc, just in case. I always leave the hospital incredible swollen. Can barely bend my ankles. And for weeks I hold all the IV fluids and stay as heavy or heavier as when I checked in. So it COULD be normal, but I would call to make sure.

CM6755 07-16-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulawolf (Post 15397991)
Ankles and leg swelling can occur after iv fluids. Mine were like sausages for about a week. Call your dr if your concerned but i bet it could be from that.

:yeahthat:

I had frankenfeet, sausage toes, and cankles for about a week AFTER I GOT HOME, spent 4 days in hospital.
That being said...I agree with PP who said: "I would contact or go to your dr. asap (not the er, but an appointment). Swelling can mean so many things that it is difficult to tell what the issue is. If you get any pain in your leg that feels like a charlie horse, red streaking down your leg, trouble breathing or your leg is red and feels hot to the touch get to the er right away! If you have of those signs you could have a blood clot! If the blood clot travels to your heart, lungs or brain you can have a serious problem."

When in doubt, call the doc...always. Sometimes insurance co's have a nurse line, mine has a healthy preggo program and it's own line (United Healthcare).

Harmony96 07-26-2012 06:01 PM

My feet and ankles didn't start to swell until after I'd been home for several days. For me, it was normal (but baffling), and it went away after about a week or so.

maramarrie 07-26-2012 11:53 PM

I would call, just as pp suggested. I don't know enough about pre-e and the effects.

That said, I had an unplanned c/s after being pumped full of IV fluids all day during labor. In the days following, my feet and ankles swelled tremendously as the fluid settled there. My skin was stretched so tight I could feel it pulling when I lifted up on my toes. I called the nurse, it was just fluid, and in my case nothing serious. I hope this is the same for you, but it can't hurt to call, especially with your history.

tats1984 08-31-2012 10:23 PM

I would check with your doc but I was VERY swollen before baby, and after for about a week, but I just tried to keep my feet up as much as possible and it went away on it's own. Good luck!