Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Moms of Many or Multiples (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Pregnant with twins (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1419441)

Adaline'sMama 07-14-2012 05:16 PM

Pregnant with twins

Hi ladies! I'm new to Diaper Swappers. I came here in search of a more MOM thread than the one at the forum that I typically frequent, and I found what I was looking for! I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm new to all this twin buisness, and I have lots to learn. If anyone could suggest any books, websites, threads for currently pregnant women, ect that would be so helpful!

I'm reading Dr. Luke's book right now, but it seems like there is a pretty limited selection of twin reading material at our bookstores. Any advice appreciated!
TIA!

Holly

thealmightyme 07-14-2012 05:22 PM

I don't know of the books, but I have 16 month old twins. What questions do you have? I'll answer what I can.

Katrina

Brooke789 07-14-2012 05:35 PM

Re: Pregnant with twins

"Mothering Multiples" is a popular one around here.

And if you're interested in a fun read - "Ready or Not Here We Come"

Adaline'sMama 08-04-2012 08:08 AM

Thanks! I've gotten Mothering Multiples and Having Twins. Ill have to check that Ready or not one out.

QMtwins 08-04-2012 11:13 PM

Hey,
I'm new here too. I have di-di twin girls who are 2 year and 4 months and am pregnant with mono-di twins now at 26 weeks.
Dr. Luke's book is super helpful if no one else, like your provider is talking to you about nutritional needs. Don't beat yourself up if you can't eat all she says though!
Congrats on your upcoming additions!! Twins are great (I have a fraternal twins sister too!) and super fun!

Adaline'sMama 08-05-2012 09:38 PM

QM- Thanks :)
We know each other from a different forum, I think.

I'm just trying to eat what I can, when I can. I've gained about 5 lbs (at 13 weeks) which is pretty good for me considering that with my last pregnancy I only gained 10 lbs the whole time (and I was eating, lots :) ).

3MonkeysMomma 08-05-2012 09:47 PM

Just do your best eating-wise. I followed the eating plan as much as possible and gained over 60 lbs with my first set (I was average weight pre-pregnancy). They were born at 36+4 6.3 & 6.8 lbs. This time around I was super sick and had tons of food aversions and I only gained 26 lbs and could barely eat anything. They were born at 37+4 and were 7.1 and 7.8lbs. Just focus on getting the most nutrients out of what you can/want to eat.

I don't really have any book suggestions, but if you have questions or concerns ask away! (Both my identical and fraternal sets were di/di so that is all I have experience with though. :) )

Adaline'sMama 08-06-2012 12:06 PM

3 monkeys- how do you know that your di-di identicals are identical? Appearance? Mine are di-di and if they are the same sex (we dont know for 3 weeks) I wonder if we will be able to tell if they are identical or fraternal.

Brooke789 08-06-2012 12:19 PM

Unless they share a placenta you won't know until after birth if they are identical or fraternal. If they are b/g obviously they are fraternal, but otherwise you'll have to do DNA testing.

HeatherlovesCDs 08-06-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooke789 (Post 15507761)
Unless they share a placenta you won't know until after birth if they are identical or fraternal. If they are b/g obviously they are fraternal, but otherwise you'll have to do DNA testing.

even if they "share" a placenta, you can't know because frat placentas can fuse. If they are the same gender, the only way to know if they are ID before birth is if they are in the same sac and you can only know that for sure early on. I've seen several sets of twins told they were ID because they shared a placenta and even were in the same sac. After birth, they discovered that their placentas' were fused and they were not even in the same sac and they were definitely NOT ID's. :giggle: After birth, it can be obvious or not. If they look very similar, you have to test because even ID's can have separate placentas and sacs. My second set is boy/boy, but they look so different there is no way they are ID.

Welcome to the board and welcome to the journey of twins. I have 2 sets of twins. My older set is 4 and younger is 2. This pregnancy started as twins, but I lost one early on. Twins is a fun and crazy ride! :lostit: