Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Where to start with a 1 year old? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1419590)

ayahnasha 07-15-2012 07:21 AM

Where to start with a 1 year old?

Hi I am familiar with ECing an infant but where do you even start with a 1 year old? At this point she understands the sign for potty and can sign potty but she hasnt put 2 and 2 together yet as to sign to let me know. I can usually tell when she has to poop but am not so sure about pees and has never went yet anywhere other then her diaper. I just got her a potty and am unsure really how to introduce her to using it? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Sheila

abunchoflemons 07-15-2012 08:14 AM

Re: Where to start with a 1 year old?

I would just wait. 1 I think too young. We were just saying potty train later & not so long. I tried early with mine & it was 4yr old b4 trained..... u could try doing routine of eat & drink & potty. We eventually rewarded..... my youngest likes free of dipes is y we sit but that it really I think. Poo 4 daddy & p few 4 me but goes in cycles. I just let them tellme.

Mom2jandb 07-15-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abunchoflemons
I would just wait. 1 I think too young. We were just saying potty train later & not so long. I tried early with mine & it was 4yr old b4 trained..... u could try doing routine of eat & drink & potty. We eventually rewarded..... my youngest likes free of dipes is y we sit but that it really I think. Poo 4 daddy & p few 4 me but goes in cycles. I just let them tellme.

What? No! Why would someone on the EC forum say that 1 is too young?

I had a potty available for my first DD around 18 months, I think. I just explained what it was for and would ask if she wanted to use it. Most of her experimentation was before bath time when she was naked. I don't have advice on how to do a 1yo because I haven't tried it yet. I currently EC a 2mo... But i would make a potty ( or several) available and learn her cues so you know when she's about to go. Then take her to the pot.

Mom2jandb 07-15-2012 08:43 AM

Adding more...

Just talk to her about what the potty is. They understand you, even they aren't speaking yet. Definitely let her see you use the toilet as much as possible. Since you don't know when she's ready to pee, I suggest the timing method. Just take her to the pot every so often and encourage her to pee. You could even use a toilet seat reducer in place of or in addition to a potty if she might like it better or understand better what she is supposed to do. Just my thoughts :)

ivymama 07-15-2012 08:50 AM

Great thread. Just started CDing my 1yo with the hopes of early PL. Hard time with number number 1, and hoping second round 2 goes better!

hibiscus869 07-15-2012 10:06 PM

Diaper Free and Diaper Free Before 3 have chapters specifically about doing EC with mobile babies over age 1 and toddlers.

colin-mylilguy 07-19-2012 11:50 AM

I didn't start using the potty officially with LO until he was 18 months but I think some of the same things would still apply.

Like a pp said, talk to her! She understands much more than she can communicate! Talk about the potty every chance you get and make it part of your daily play. We got a couple books and my friend got a doll for her 18 month old that you can fill with water (or even colored water with yellow food dye) and make her pee on the potty. Our kiddos were very fascinated with this doll and loved to watch her go pee-pee and then they would sit on the potty, too. They didn't usually pee at first but it was all part of play-learning.

My mom potty-trained me by 18 months and started a little after 12 months. She said that getting a few "catches" close together helps establish success and that helps them see the pattern that they should pee in the potty. Repetition and consistency are very helpful but perfection is NOT necessary! Remember that!

My mom said that she used warm water to help me pee while sitting on the potty so that I got a jump start on understanding that pee goes in the potty. She would take me every 30 minutes at first and then every hour and then 1.5 hours and if I didn't pee after about 30 seconds, to prevent me from getting bored and just giving up, she would stick my hand in a cup of warm water and I would relax and pee. She said it worked like a charm almost 100% of the time! I have a boy and I have used this trick and I can attest that it works great! I don't stick his hand in the water, though. I use a bulb syringe, like the kind you suck their nose with, and suck up some warm water and then squirt it on his lower tummy so it runs over his bottom area. He will pee almost every time. I used this a lot in the beginning to reinforce the pattern of peeing in the potty but now I just use it if I need him to pee but he isn't, or I know he needs to but can't for some reason. Most of the time, he pees on his own, now.

I also taught him the sign for potty but he is older and he just says potty or pee-pee or poo-poo. Or he tells me he is wet or sometimes he says "uh-oh" before he goes so I know I need to run him to the potty and we usually catch it.

I did not make him sit on the potty if he didn't want to. Ever. When he says all-done, I respect that he is in control of this and I respond back with "all done" to acknowledge him and I take him right off and we go play. We can always go back to the potty in 5 or 10 or 30 minutes, but I don't want him to think that the chair is a punishment or that he has to sit there if he doesn't want to. We just try to keep it relaxed and fun! When he tells me "pee-pee" while he is playing we clap and say hooray as we hop/skip/jump to the potty and we are very happy about it. :giggle: If he has an accident, we say "uh-oh, pee-pee goes in the potty" and we go to the potty and try and if he pees some more, we celebrate with clapping and "yay!". If he can't we just talk about where pee-pee should go and that we want to stay dry and I usually have him feel his wet undies and say "wet yucky" and then feel his dry undies and say "dry nice" and he repeats me. It's cute. :)

If I could give only one piece of advice I would say Don't Stress It. Just have fun, make it fun and part of your normal routine. Don't get mad and don't get discourage when they have an accident. That is part of the learning process just as much, if not more (IMO) and is not "bad". Just be patient and keep going, being as consistent as you can (but perfection isn't necessary - remember that!) and she will do great! :goodvibes:

HTH!

Leighmpalmer 08-14-2012 01:46 PM

This is a wonderful thread. I too have been considering starting this. I am very nervous about starting. Forgive me if this information is elsewhere, but what resources, like books, have you all found helpful in starting this process?

My 1YO makes identifiable sounds/faces with her elimination, but I haven't yet figured out how to start the communication process!

abunchoflemons 08-14-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2jandb (Post 15403325)
What? No! Why would someone on the EC forum say that 1 is too young?

I had a potty available for my first DD around 18 months, I think. I just explained what it was for and would ask if she wanted to use it. Most of her experimentation was before bath time when she was naked. I don't have advice on how to do a 1yo because I haven't tried it yet. I currently EC a 2mo... But i would make a potty ( or several) available and learn her cues so you know when she's about to go. Then take her to the pot.

I said what I said from experience & others around me that tried to potty train early. That's y I said we make it naked time but mine calls me poo not tells me she needs to (sign). I got lots of resistence with both if I tried to train b4 they were ready. Others I hear are having night probs. Plus I saw a post on ds that her kid was scared of the potty. I have lotsof experienced mom around me to. Others I hear early ec is mostly parental timing to get kid there to pee or poo.

shen7 08-14-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abunchoflemons

I said what I said from experience & others around me that tried to potty train early. That's y I said we make it naked time but mine calls me poo not tells me she needs to (sign). I got lots of resistence with both if I tried to train b4 they were ready. Others I hear are having night probs. Plus I saw a post on ds that her kid was scared of the potty. I have lotsof experienced mom around me to. Others I hear early ec is mostly parental timing to get kid there to pee or poo.

I don't think you understand what EC is. It is not about training, it's about communication. It is a little strange to be on an EC forum offering conventional potty training advice.