Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   introducing a bottle to 7 month old (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1419954)

Cdra 07-15-2012 10:43 PM

introducing a bottle to 7 month old

Hello everyone!!

I have a question. My lo is 7 months old and has never had a bottle. I'm to the point where I would like to have some "me" time and let dh give her a breast milk bottle once in a great while. My concern is that she may not want the breast if I give her a bottle. I'm actually terrified she won't. I have no intentions of weaning her off the breast any time soon and don't want to mess things up. She nurses very well and has a small amount of solids only once a day. Any suggestions or personal experience with this?

iluvmyortiz1122 07-15-2012 11:03 PM

My issue was the opposite. She hated the bottle and wasn't ever fazed by it. She always came to the boob with zero issues after a bottle.

Mindie1388 07-16-2012 04:43 AM

I would say at 7 months your nursing relationship is pretty established and a bottle is not likely to mess it up; I would actually be very surprised if she took to a bottle easily at this point. You may want to consider using a sippy/straw cup instead.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

kcanstef 07-18-2012 06:07 PM

Re: introducing a bottle to 7 month old

i would also say i doubt it would mess up nursing ds never took a bottle but he got water sippy cups at 6/7 months and still nursed like crazy :)

Cdra 07-18-2012 06:13 PM

I tried giving her water from a few different silly cups and bottles and she isn't drinking from any. She just chews on it. I guess it's going to be trial and error until she finds one she likes. I can't say I'm not a little happy. :)

tibeca 07-18-2012 06:25 PM

My kids could manage a straw cup by around 4 months old. They wouldn't take a bottle, but would take a few ounces by straw if I had to be gone.

heathermay 07-18-2012 06:38 PM

I've BF 2 and both had bottles and boobies neither was ever phased by it. I'm betting at 7mo you'll be just fine! =)

qsefthuko 07-18-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindie1388 (Post 15407178)
I would say at 7 months your nursing relationship is pretty established and a bottle is not likely to mess it up; I would actually be very surprised if she took to a bottle easily at this point. You may want to consider using a sippy/straw cup instead.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

This

I have a friend who did the same thing at 5 months of age. She tried to get her lo to take a bottle and finally settled for a straw sippy instead. My lo at 12 months doesn't quite grasp the consept of regular sippys but does well with the straw sippys. He has never had a bottle.

Rdesonia 07-18-2012 09:44 PM

At 7 months... I'd go with a sippy cup. I tried them all... Funny enough my DD loves the cheapo Take&Toss with handles! (I can't tell you how much $ I wasted in fancy sippy cups that she just chews on the soft tip like it is a teether! And she won't do the straws either. She would do a open cup if an adult held it at around that age.)

booth2490 07-19-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdesonia (Post 15421956)
At 7 months... I'd go with a sippy cup. I tried them all... Funny enough my DD loves the cheapo Take&Toss with handles! (I can't tell you how much $ I wasted in fancy sippy cups that she just chews on the soft tip like it is a teether! And she won't do the straws either. She would do a open cup if an adult held it at around that age.)

we started w/ the T&T around 7 months b/c DD refused a bottle after I was off work for a month and didn't give her any bottles. I hate those valves inside other sippy cups.