Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   C Section Births (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Things to bring to hospital after having c/s? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1420083)

mamma mia 07-16-2012 10:56 AM

Things to bring to hospital after having c/s?

My sister in law is having a scheduled c/s next month and is wondering what she can bring to the hospital to make things easier for her. I suggested getting a boppy pillow so she can prop up baby while feeding him.
Can you all think fo anything else?
TIA!

cacasey1981 07-16-2012 01:19 PM

Re: Things to bring to hospital after having c/s?

I used a my brest friend this time (non c/s) and like it more than the boppy. Being able to tighten the strap above the c/s might be more comfortable.

Hungry Caterpillar 07-16-2012 07:42 PM

I actually found myself to be way too swollen and uncomfortable after my C/S for either a My Breast Friend or a Boppy. I ended up doing a football hold and that worked out well.

I suggest nipple butter or lanolin because the incision makes it a little uncomfortable to get a good latch right away and I had really angry nipples. I also bought insane, to my belly button baggy underwear that I vastly preferred to the mesh stuff they give you. I am sure the mesh stuff is fine for a vaginal birth, but it hit my incision weird when I was getting ready to leave the hospital and ride in the car home, and the hilariously huge Hanes I had bought just in case were really nice. I did not attempt to wear pants home and instead opted for a flowy maxi dress that didn't rub anything. I will be doing that for future pregnancies. I would advise to try one some nursing bras and practice whipping out the boob before she goes to the hospital - I was advised to do this and getting good at doing it without a lot of contorting abs was a good use of time the couple days before I had my son. No pain from that.

This is my most key thing, and I wish I had known:
They give preventative antibiotics before the C/S. Both DS and I ended up with thrush, like right away. Next time I have a baby (all babies for me will be C/S) I will be bringing probiotics to the hospital and will begin taking them immediately upon being permitted to take them. I spoke to my OB about this and he said that you just need to bring them in and notify your nurse that because of the antibiotics you wish to take probiotics and as soon as you are allowed, to tell you immediately.

Buy Colace to have at home when you get back and take it for the two weeks afterwards. The pain meds constipate you and they give it to you in the hospital, but you should have it at home as well. Straining to poop really hurts your incision. Full fat whole milk also helps to get things moving.

I am sure there is more I will think of but this pops into my head now. I will update later if I think of more. My C/S went totally fine, no complaints at all. Let her know it's nothing scary.

Willow's_lilmama 07-16-2012 07:51 PM

I've had 2, one emergency and one planned. The second time around when I could plan everything I made sure I had: A couple of my own nursing nightgowns and a robe, my own ginormous undies, my own toiletries, and something comfy to wear home that does not have a waistband...also something cute for baby's photographs. The football hold really worked well with my son (first) but with my dd she was so small that I just rested her up on my tummy above the incision.

ajbailey89 07-19-2012 10:44 PM

Yes, maxi dress home from the hospital and I hated the boppy for nursing after c/s. I did the football hold as well.

Shimpie 07-23-2012 01:42 PM

yes to the maxi dress.
Slip on shoes/sandals - Probably doesn't need to be said for anyone waddling at full term, but just in case. You will not want to bend over put on your shoes.

JHanes 08-15-2012 06:26 AM

I second the maxi dress and I took home a handful of the mesh underwear they give you at the hospital. Those things were awesome! :)

FrozenBooty 08-19-2012 03:44 AM

Football hold and I used a body pillow beside me to get me a good propped angle where my arm wasn't tired. Plus its squishy and good for holding against you those first couple times you laugh or sneeze.

I had some cloth pads made without wings snaps to lay over the incision, I was 150# heavier with my last child and the incision was in my fat roll so this helped to keep it dry and cushioned.

Third the big comfortable underwear, times multiple pairs.

schtephanie 08-23-2012 12:06 PM

Definitely a dress/gown and slip on shoes were also a must.

MaryInPinedale 08-25-2012 10:34 PM

My hospital was 2 hours from my house so my husband and I stayed the night at a hotel close to the hospital to get a good nights rest for an early morning scheduled c-section. I packed antibacterial soap to wash my incision area with during my morning shower before heading to the hospital. My doctor recommended it to help reduce the chance of infection.