Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Year-Round or Fall to Late Spring? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1420245)

percussionsmith 07-16-2012 03:17 PM

Year-Round or Fall to Late Spring?

I am trying decide how I want to schedule our homeschool year and leaning toward year round with long breaks over the holidays, the summer and garden planting time :goodvibes:
I don't know if its universal but in Indiana, we're required to document 180 days. What about where you are?

What do you do; year round or "public school schedule"? What do you think is best for your kids? and of course, WHY?

THANKS!

AbbieJack 07-16-2012 03:34 PM

Re: Year-Round or Fall to Late Spring?

We go along with the public school schedule. The reason being is my mother and my sister both work in the school system and we enjoy having breaks off together .

littlemsmom 07-16-2012 03:46 PM

We are doing year round schooling so we can let life happen and not worry about getting it all done during the public school system calender. We also have to have 180 days averaging 4 hours a day.

agzip03 07-16-2012 03:51 PM

We are going to do year round we the kids get old enough. DH will be teaching, but we want him to participate in our kids education. We might take a pseudo break between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Jen's_4 07-16-2012 03:59 PM

This was our first year and we did it pretty similar to the school schedule because I had to watch my nephew this summer. It the future I'll probably do some stuff year round, with a few breaks thrown in here and there. We may also have a lighter schedule during the summer because of gardening, canning, swimming, ect. So I wouldn't mind having a couple weeks or so of summer vacation....but right now I feel like my kids brains are turning into mush and they are forgetting everything. If we did smaller breaks throughout the year hopefully that wouldn't be as much of an issue.

alyssa&rylan's-mommy 07-16-2012 06:02 PM

We're doing a year round schedule so we can take breaks when we need/want (like this year we plan to take a break when baby arrives in September), plus we'll take breaks for holidays, we can vacation during the off seasons, etc. We're also required to have 180 days/year.

HeatherlovesCDs 07-16-2012 06:25 PM

We do year round so we can be relaxed about it through the year. Life happens and we don't get it done everyday. Or, we take off a few weeks for this or that, like a new baby in Oct. This allows us not to worry about it.

Also, I feel my kids need the structure in the summer just as they do in the winter. And, it's too hot to be outside anyway. We do less in the spring and fall than we do in the middle of summer.

2queens&1princenmyhouse 07-16-2012 06:41 PM

This is our first year and we started in the summer to make sure that we could get everything done that we needed to without me being too stressed (since I WAH and have to divide my attention). I think we will end up doing some sort of modified version where we do take off in the summer (maybe a month) and then take a month around Thanksgiving and Christmas and severa l3-4 day weekends throughout the year.

We have to have 1000 hours between July 1 and June 30.

percussionsmith 07-17-2012 06:05 AM

THank you all very much for your responses!
Extremely helpful!!!

fawnlovesjasper 07-17-2012 07:24 AM

We are kind of year around? We usually start the Monday after the 4th of July (we are a week behind this year). We school for 9 weeks and take 1 off. We then school for 9 weeks and it brings us to the Friday before Thanksgiving. We are off the week of Thanksgiving to the Monday after New Years (this is a 6 week break). We do 9 weeks and then take 1 off. Our final 9 weeks ends in mid May. We have an 8 week summer break.

Now I do count days that are "holidays" like Labor Day and Presidents Day.. even sick days. We are always learning ;)