Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Falling asleep in areas other than bedroom. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1420307)

thealmightyme 07-16-2012 06:11 PM

Falling asleep in areas other than bedroom.

So DH and I just recently went on a vacation with out the kids. During that time my SIL made a fort in DS1's room. He has now decided that he doesn't want to sleep in his bed and wants to sleep on the floor under his fort. I am fine with this, I figured I'd just let the newness of it wear off.

Any how ever since the fort was built and sleeping under it he comes out of his room to play, and passes out where ever he is. Mostly it's been in the hallway right in front of his room. Last night I came upstairs to go to bed and he was asleep in my bed. Before we went on vacation he didn't do this. He slept in his bed until he awoke in the morning. Any suggestions that I can try to keep him sleeping at least in his room?

Tina5834 07-16-2012 06:27 PM

How old is he?

happysmileylady 07-16-2012 06:36 PM

Re: Falling asleep in areas other than bedroom.

Are you actually catching him playing, or do you just find him sleeping whereever the next morning? Is it possible he's sleepwalking?

elizabeth.scalf 07-16-2012 08:26 PM

Seems like he's almost 4.5. Sounds like it's one of those things that you don't exactly want to punish, but you need to correct before it turns into bedtime struggles and midnight fights. Is he being loud and disruptive, or does he just kinda start in the fort and end up rolling around on the floor goofing off quietly for a while? You could make the fort 'disappear' one day and then just tell him the only place left to sleep is the bed. He might fight it for a night or two. Or you could offer a reward for each morning that he wakes up in his own bed. Those are just some ideas.

thealmightyme 07-16-2012 10:01 PM

Yep he is just about 4 1/2, next month. I am finding him before I go to bed sleeping in other places. When I wake him up to go pee before I go to bed, I put him back in his room, and he wakes up there. So I think sleep walking is out.

He has always played before he falls asleep. It's his way of winding down. He is not generally disruptive, only occasionally.

I did tell him tonight that if I keep finding him other places that the fort will have to come down. Hopefully that will take care of the problem.

Like PP mentioned, I really don't want to punish for something like this. He was so proud of it when we got home. He was excited to show it to us. So I would like to keep it until he gets bored with it.

RainandRedemption 07-18-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thealmightyme (Post 15411729)
Yep he is just about 4 1/2, next month. I am finding him before I go to bed sleeping in other places. When I wake him up to go pee before I go to bed, I put him back in his room, and he wakes up there. So I think sleep walking is out.

He has always played before he falls asleep. It's his way of winding down. He is not generally disruptive, only occasionally.

I did tell him tonight that if I keep finding him other places that the fort will have to come down. Hopefully that will take care of the problem.

Like PP mentioned, I really don't want to punish for something like this. He was so proud of it when we got home. He was excited to show it to us. So I would like to keep it until he gets bored with it.

How is he responding to this? My kids have done similar thigns.... bed time can be a struggle at our house..... ::sigh::: But this approach works for my son. He would stay in his room to keep the fort up, for sure

HeatherlovesCDs 07-19-2012 07:39 AM

Yeah, I would handle it how you did. Tell him if it keeps happening the fort will have to come down. How did that work?

I would follow through with it too. Bedtime is a struggle at our house. I would feel badly taking the fort down, but it isn't worth bedtime issues. :(

TooBusyBearcubs 07-19-2012 01:32 PM

Just FYI about sleepwalking...
Parasomnia (sleep behaviors) usually happen within 1-3 hours of falling asleep, during the shift from one level of sleep to the next. It occasionally happens at other times of the night, but not very often. It doesn't usually continue all night long.
For instance, kids who have sleep terrors usually have them approximately 90minutes (give or take) after falling asleep. When it is over, they normally sleep peacefully for the rest of the night.
I'm not saying that your DS is actually sleepwalking. But, if you think he might be, the best way to know is to observe him.

Edit: Did he have a hard time with you & your DH being on vacation? Sometimes big changes or stressful situations can trigger sleep behaviors, or make existing ones worse. I am NOT saying that going on vacation was bad (I'm actually kinda jealous :winkeye:), but if for some reason he is sleepwalking, it would make sense that it started during a change in his routine. I would give him the benefit of the doubt, and not get too strict with consequences, until you can confirm that he is consciously making the decision to sleep in the hallway, etc.