Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   SUCH a proud mama! UPDATED post 3.....and now sad mama.... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1420431)

ajane 07-16-2012 09:01 PM

SUCH a proud mama! UPDATED post 3.....and now sad mama....

My oldest dd made a spot on both the medley relay swimming breastsroke AND the freestyle relay for the Junior Olympics.......and she is only 8 years old! OMGosh what an amazing honor and I'm so, so, so proud of her. :wub: She had her championship swim meet for her summer club today and afterwards about 6 families went out afterwards for dinner. The parents were all talking about this one coach from another team who swam in the coaches relay and had the most amazing breaststroke. One of the dads said "yeah, the only other swimmer I have seen swim the breaststroke like that is Ella"......my dd. :goodvibes:

We have our summer club awards banquet on Thurs. and she will be the high point winner for 3 years in a row now. :yay:

My sweet Lily (6) had 2 records for the long course season and did amazing for our summer club as well. Even though she didn't feel good today (she thought she was going to get sick before her first event, but still wanted to swim) she still place 2nd in 3 events and 1st in 1 event in our summer club championship meet today. This is out of 30 swimmers.

joyous 07-16-2012 10:31 PM

Awww congratulations!! What amazing girls you have!!

ajane 07-18-2012 08:40 PM

Re: SUCH a proud mama! UPDATED post 3.....and now sad mama....

So, last night was dh's and my 13th anniversary. He took me out for dinner and gave me a card with an interesting ending sentence. Turns out he had booked a surprise trip for us to Vegas this weekend. Poor guy had NO idea (nor did I) when he booked it that Ella would be selected to swim on a relay (let alone both) for the Junior Olympics this weekend. He told me we could delay our flight on Fri. to see her swim at least the first day, but we would lose an entire day in doing so. I told him to keep the flights and we will go as planned. I'm just so sad that I'm going to miss my baby swim in such an important meet. :( She was pretty sad also knowing that I wouldn't be there. I am at every.single.swim meet she has. My parents will be taking her up and watching her and hopefully video'ing it for me. :goodvibes:

luvsviola 07-18-2012 08:52 PM

Hugs mama! There is no way I could go knowing that DD was at a meet like that. You are stronger than I!!!

Connor 07-18-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola
Hugs mama! There is no way I could go knowing that DD was at a meet like that. You are stronger than I!!!

This! Have fun on your trip though :)

ajane 07-19-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola

Well obviously if I had any chance to postpone it I would, but unfortunately I can't. It is EXTREMELY hard for me. Everything was booked months ago and it would cost a lot more money to reschedule everything.

sallyjean 07-19-2012 08:45 AM

As moms we give up a LOT for our kids but we don't have to give up everything. Don't let guilt or what other people think you should do ruin your trip.

raymark 07-19-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola (Post 15421729)

This. But, I know I would regret missing my child's activity more than i would regret losing the money. If you know you would be regrettfully attending your childs event while wishing you were in Vegas then you certainly need the 'me time' and both you and your daughter will be better off after you enjoy a nice vacation :)

Mac & Cheeses mom 07-19-2012 09:19 AM

Oh Hugs Momma! I am so sorry you will miss this meet!

Is there anyway you can Skype or FaceTime the meets to you so you can still watch? It would not be the same thing, but it would be better than nothing. Kwim?

diaperangel 07-19-2012 02:22 PM

Hey mama....

I am a High Performance Synchro Coach in Canada...and I wanted to say something that might help you feel better?? (I'm obvs a mom too :-) so I get how hard this is) BUT...

athletes - and yes, even an 8 year old is an "athlete"!! - need to be responsible and accountable for their own performances. Often, when mom is around, it is more distracting, and emotional control is LESS than if the athlete is away at a meet just with the Coach.

Explain to her that you believe in her and you know that she is a strong young lady - you know she can do her best and that doesn't depend on you being there. Watch on livestream, text, have a party to celelbrate whatever the outcome...

The fact that she has been able to get this far shows how much of an awesome parent you are - it takes a lot to get that far in sport...good job!!!

Enjoy your trip - and good luck to your daughter!