Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Speech Delay Is it time for eval? **Update EVAL was today/Results** (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1420940)

Housefullofgirls 07-18-2012 01:40 AM

Speech Delay Is it time for eval? **Update EVAL was today/Results**

My daughter is having some medical issues that hopefully will come to a dx soon from her scope yesterday. She is in pain all day everyday in varying degrees. Due to her sugar malabsorption she is failure to thrive. She only says mama, dada and mom that is it. She just started to point last week and she does recongnize dogs and says woof woof when she see's them. She's 15 months. She is shy so apart of my denial is she's shy, the baby of 4 kids, in pain alot and that's why she doesn't talk. Her 15 mon appt is coming up should I ask for an eval? I'm worried about her. My other kids were saying alot more by now.

So somehow we lucked out when I called Monday & they had this am open. So she did qualify :cry:
Her IFSP says:
cognitive:15mon
communication receptive: 9mon
communication expressive: 6mon
social or emotional: 18mon
adaptive: 20mon
fine motor: 16mon
gross motor:20mon

Hearing test is August 15th.

stevensmom 07-18-2012 02:00 AM

:hugs: if it concerns you bring it up

Dd is 22 months and only says dada and uhoh. She also barks :giggle2: our ped isn't concerned but we will eval in 2 months when she's 2. Her hearing is fine and she comprehends tremendously.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**

nicolemariep 07-18-2012 02:04 AM

Re: Speech Delay Is it time for eval?

My son wasn't saying anything at 15 months, and they weren't worried. Some kids are just late talkers. However, when he hit 18 months with no words, we had a speech eval. He's in speech therapy now. But in comparison, he's almost 21 months and only says "hi, uh-oh, and dada." 4 words at 15 months is probably nothing to worry about.

plmrsix 07-18-2012 06:46 AM

I encourage all parents to do an evaluation if you feel there is a delay. Our youngest was nonverbal at 18 mths. I assumed it was b/c she's the youngest of 6 and the other children literally do everything for her. She used ASL as her primary form of communication. She started with speech therapy last year and its been a wonderful experience. She is 3yo now and a regular chatty Cathy :giggle2:

ktmelody 07-18-2012 11:27 AM

If you are concerned then you should but that is enough words at 15 months.

Is she babbling as well?

My daughter had no words at 21 months and no babbling at all. In our state they need a 50 percent age delay to qualify or 2 areas of delay at 25 percent each (of their age).

Cant hurt to call, but it sounds like she is doing pretty good in the speech area! :)

mibarra 07-18-2012 12:02 PM

If you're concerned do it. There's a lot more to an SLP eval than just how many words, and they will be able to get a good idea if she is a late talker or really delayed. Better to do it now and know than wait and miss valuable intervention. :)

The normal range is variable. My 18 month old knows over 50 words and puts two together. My 3 year old, at that age, was diagnosed with severe hearing loss, and when we started signing learned 20 words in a month. That's why you need an eval, these people have experience and will know the difference :)

pcjs 07-18-2012 12:37 PM

We were told to get an evaluation at age two, so I'd give it a few more months/6 months before worrying. Some kids do talk later. My kid is a late talker. We were doing speech therapy and I dropped it for the next two months as it seemed more of a hassle than benefit for a late talker (if you have a special needs child I would absolutely push it). I did all the hoops with evaluations, worrying, private pay speech till I could find someone to take the insurance to decide forget it. My son is now starting to talk and at 3/fall we will put him in a speech preschool (more because I liked the school but speech is the bonus). I'd personally keep the focus on medical in less you truly feel something is wrong.

smblake 07-20-2012 09:13 AM

If you have that motherly instinct that something is not quite right, go with it!

Ds2 is 3.5 a and still not talking much. He has no words at age 2. Our family doc recommended speexh therapy at his 2 year check up, dh and I decided to give it 6 months, you know, thinking he was just a late bloomer. :(, we shouldn't have waited, that was 6 months of help lost.

Ds1 was diagnosed with hearing loss just after ds2 started therapy, they then tested ds2s hearing and he too has hearing loss ( we never suspected it, ds1s was obvious). They have both had hearing aids for 6 months now and ds2 is progressing, but very slowly.

All in all, my main point. I felt like something was off with ds2 but based on denial or something I pretended like it wasn't an issue and I kick myself everyday for not acting on my instincts and getting help earlier. Ds2 might be that much further along.

It can't hurt to get an eval, then you will know either way. :hugs:

luvsviola 07-20-2012 01:36 PM

If she is FTT and being scoped, I'd call Early Intervention and do an eval for sure! Its free, and they are super helpful. They come to your home. You don't need to talk to your doctor. You can self-refer.

Housefullofgirls 07-20-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola (Post 15429363)
If she is FTT and being scoped, I'd call Early Intervention and do an eval for sure! Its free, and they are super helpful. They come to your home. You don't need to talk to your doctor. You can self-refer.

At her 12mon appt my ped said if she didn't progress she would refer us at her 15mon appt. That is on Mon. Wanted to see what other thought if my ped forgot about what she said.

She only says mom she has said dada in the past but hasn't in 2-3 months. Sporadically she woofs at her stuffed dog lol but that's it. Hard to describe but she is different than my others. Her comprension is low as well. I worry her FTT is starving her brain and this is why she is so behind. She hears fine. She had tubes placed in April and passed the hearing test afterward. From Jan thru beginning of April she had a constant ear infection stemming from severe food allergies. She could barely hear at this time (9-12months).

I'm just worried about her. Her health deteriorated very quickly at 9 months all of a sudden. She's 8.5months in my aviator pic and was just fine. She's only gained 10oz since she was 8.5 months.