Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Reassure me daycare is ok! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1421003)

d_arnold 07-18-2012 08:30 AM

Reassure me daycare is ok!

DD is a year old and for the last 9 months she's been going to our neighbor's house 3 days a wk and my mom keeps her the other 2 days. Well our sitter just told me this morning that starting mid-Aug she will no longer be able to keep DD because she's going to be working at the elementary school her kids attend. I get it....they really need the extra income. I'm not mad...I actually totally understand, but now I'm faced with trying to find another childcare option for DD.

DH and I both work FT outside the home. DH does have the option to go to "swing shift" which would be 2:30pm - 11:30pm. He could keep her during the day and I could watch her after I get off work, but then I would never see him. And I really don't think that would be all that great for our marriage.

In my mind I know she will be fine in a daycare, but I just hate the fact that after a year of the same thing I have to change her schedule and that she will be introduced to all new people. I just imagine her crying her eyes out and me having to leave anyway. I went to daycare as a child as I know tons of other kids do and they turn out great. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with this. Maybe because I was totally caught off guard,,,,I don't know.

I guess I just need assurance that she will be ok and will adjust!

escapethevillage 07-18-2012 08:56 AM

Re: Reassure me daycare is ok!

Why don't you just find an in home daycare nearby that has kids her age? My daycare kids are a really good fit together, and they are best friends. They miss each other when one is gone. They run to the door yelling the child's name when one kid walks in.

The other parents know all the kids, they know all the little details about each kid, and every kid here is a very important part of the group.

(funny story) Last year, some weird show pigeon got into my house. I have no idea where he came from, or how he got there.... But, he took a liking to Molly..the two year old. Molly was terrified and miserable. It took me an hour to get this pigeon out of the house, but he sat outside our windows looking longingly into the kitchen. So, Molly was traumatized. Annnnyway... that night while I was at the gym, I got three texts from other parents. Parent: "Was there a real midget in your house trying to sit on Molly?" "MIDGETS were chasing Molly??" Me: "Well, it wasn't a midget...but, yes... there was a pigeon trying to sit WITH Molly".

Fortunately, nobody believed the midget story, but all the kids were very concerned for Molly for several days after the pigeon incident, because they all love and care about Molly.

stevensmom 07-18-2012 09:00 AM

I would look into finding an in home daycare near you. maybe your current one can help you. Or go to the local school and ask for their list of daycare providers

No matter where she goes she is going to adapt so quickly and be fine. It's mommy that will take a while to adjust :hugs:

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**

abunchoflemons 07-18-2012 09:06 AM

My eldest went to in home & it was great 4 her to play & b with other kids. She is 7 now & makes friends well. Everyone is her friend she says. Maybe ask around of daycares some of ur friends take their kids. Then u know some of the kids & that dd will be comfy there. I know its hard my hubby works nights & I worked days & it was hard but childcare was so high it didn't make sense 4 me to work & not be ahead $wise. Plus I think of it as he was doing his share more at spending time with kid at that point. Less time to argue I think a russian guy on the undercover boss said about little time together.......

Nerissa 07-18-2012 09:19 AM

((hugs)) this is always harder on mom than the kids.

Our previous provider gave us two weeks notice that should would be done watching our boys. We had been there for over a year. Thank goodness it was right at Christmas time where both DH and I had time off but we still only had about 5 weeks to find a new provider. It was stressfull but we ended up finding one that is great. The boys adjust really well. The first month was a little rough since they were use to being the only kids and the new had more but now they love it. It is an in-home daycare.

Personally I prefer in-home rather than the big centers. I would start looking and interviewing.

AfWife8405 07-18-2012 10:53 AM

I worked in daycare centers before I had kids. I would not be okay with my children going to a center, but I would be alright with a in-home situation with only a handful of other kids. In the center I worked at, kids were moved through the day like parts on an assembly line. I was actually scolded for trying to get a little girl (about 2 yrs old) back in her seat in a playful fun way instead of yelling no at her and continuing to dish out the food quickly.

mibarra 07-18-2012 10:57 AM

For us a nice, quality daycare was better than friends and family, frankly. My DDs were much happier there with the other children and activities :)

Mom2Connor 07-18-2012 11:43 AM

I am a SAHM and DH works nights, so our DS doesn't do regular daycare. But we are lucky enough to have a GREAT small inhome daycare just two doors down from us and DS goes there sometimes in the afternoons for a couple hours if we want to get out and do something skans kid (or somewhere not kid friendly). He loves it SO much that we joke that he sees them outside sometimes playing when it's just us and him at home and I swear if he was old enough (he is 2) he'd ask if he can have $5 and go play at daycare for an hour...LOL

Honestly I used to be pretty anti - daycare but if you have a social kid, the kiddo will love it.

I personally would use an inhome daycare that you trust vs a center, but that's just my personal opinion. My mom used to do inhome daycare when I was school aged and I know a few people who do them now.

d_arnold 07-18-2012 01:21 PM

I've been calling around all day to childcare centers. I'd much rather send DD to an in-home care facility rather than a large center. All of the large centers are full and don't have openings until Nov at the earliest. We need someone next month! Fortunately a friend of a friend gave me the name of the in-home center her child goes to and they have 1 opening!!! DH and I are going tomorrow to take a tour.

Fingers crossed this is a good fit for us otherwise I don't know what we will do!

DalesWidda 07-18-2012 01:31 PM

I didn't read the other responses but this is coming from a person who did daycare for a long time. The only reason my girls were in daycare was because I was working there. And I've worked at many centers. I am not a fan of large group centers. The turnover rate for employees are high, the pay is low and most of the time classes are over ratio. Also, there is a lot of juggling kids around to make numbers work. For example, lets say that a few kids call in and the 2 year old class only has 7 kids. Normally there are 10, so the class needs two teachers (ratio is 6:1 for two year olds in Wisconsin). So the director decides to move the oldest child up to the 2.5 year old room so she can let a teacher go or put her somewhere else. No big deal right? Except now the 2.5 year old teacher is over in her numbers because a 2 year old brings the ratio down. Yeah, unfortunately this happens a lot. There are some very good teachers out there and some that are looking for an easy paycheck. They get tired, overworked, and a lot of times kids get brought in sick or teachers are sick. I would find in home child care for sure. I'm sorry if that isn't the answer you want but it's an honest one.