Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   hiding/saving food (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1421186)

shortcake2386 07-18-2012 03:06 PM

hiding/saving food

i must be doing something wrong bc 2 of mine are hiders/sneakers of food:banghead:first of all we do 3 meals and 2 snacks a day but the kids can always have something (healthy) at other times. we dont make them finishe everything on their plate, dont typically do "dessert" (never as a reward for eating) and we usually have some fun snacks in the house(chips, popcorn, fruit bars, etc) the 4 year old will sneak food during naptime and at night and hide it in her room. usually its the junk stuff(she ate 1/2 a bag of semi sweet choco chis yesterday during nap:hide: ) nothing is safe, she got chips off the top of the fridge today:headscratch: the 2 year old saves food. like lastnight he ate 1/2 his chicken sandwich and stuck the other part in a bag. i didnt know til he pulled it out at bedtime:yuck: he also had crackers in his pockets the other day. i dont know what to do, they eat all day as it is??? i cant feed them more and i have no clue where they are getting this:banghead: any ideas?

shortcake2386 07-18-2012 05:13 PM

Re: hiding/saving food

:bump:

Nickel+3 07-18-2012 05:17 PM

Maybe give them a sippy of water they can have at all times I'm not sure :hugs:

mlhmrsdds 07-18-2012 05:18 PM

:hugs: my oldest sneaks food, she has a weight problem though, she's been heavy since birth. And while we try really hard not to deny her anything and teach her to make good choices she still sneaks food. We don't even have a lot of junk in the house, she'll sneak anything she can find, usually handfuls of dry cereal-not sugary either. I don't have an answer, I think it is just a personality thing, that is what they "collect" or do to feel content.

shortcake2386 07-18-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickel+3 (Post 15420655)
Maybe give them a sippy of water they can have at all times I'm not sure :hugs:

they have water bottles all day as it is. juice or milk at meals:thumbsup:
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlhmrsdds (Post 15420658)
:hugs: my oldest sneaks food, she has a weight problem though, she's been heavy since birth. And while we try really hard not to deny her anything and teach her to make good choices she still sneaks food. We don't even have a lot of junk in the house, she'll sneak anything she can find, usually handfuls of dry cereal-not sugary either. I don't have an answer, I think it is just a personality thing, that is what they "collect" or do to feel content.

thanks. i guess im just worried about it being an issue later, kwim? but i dont want to do/say something that makes it worse:banghead:

EmilytheStrange 07-18-2012 08:24 PM

I had a thought when I first read this thread, but then I wanted to wait and see if people responded 'oh that's normal for that age', etc.

but.. In regards to the 2yo behavior, my thought was that foster/adopted children do this. It gives them security and possessions. While yours aren't foster/adopted (I assume), it might be a security issue. Are they feeling that things are unstable? Are there any big changes happening in your family? Do they have to share too much during the day? Although, for a 2yo, anxiety is very very common. Just in general.

I know that probably sounds odd. but it was my first hunch just because of my limited exposure with foster kids and their food and possession hoarding.

Most likely, it's not that. but since there are no other answers (other than it's just a personality thing, which is very well might be), I thought I'd just pop it into the thread.

I remember times growing up when I had a lot of anxiety about random things - my parents' dying in a car wreck and me being taken to live elsewhere, etc. So, I think that anxiety could easily happen in children and make them feel like they need to take advantage of food supplies.

In regards to the 4yo: On the other hand, I also used to cover bread with a thick layer of sugar and eat it. We didn't have sweets in the house, so I compensated. So, if your children have the type of sweet tooth that I have, then they will find a way. In which case, I would find a way to add some nice sweet desserts into the house. It can be healthy, but should satisfy a sweet tooth.

that's all I've got.. hope that helps and hope that you don't think I'm insinuating anything.. just thoughts.. because forums are full of thoughts.

shortcake2386 07-18-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange (Post 15421575)
I had a thought when I first read this thread, but then I wanted to wait and see if people responded 'oh that's normal for that age', etc.

but.. In regards to the 2yo behavior, my thought was that foster/adopted children do this. It gives them security and possessions. While yours aren't foster/adopted (I assume), it might be a security issue. Are they feeling that things are unstable? Are there any big changes happening in your family? Do they have to share too much during the day? Although, for a 2yo, anxiety is very very common. Just in general.

I know that probably sounds odd. but it was my first hunch just because of my limited exposure with foster kids and their food and possession hoarding.

Most likely, it's not that. but since there are no other answers (other than it's just a personality thing, which is very well might be), I thought I'd just pop it into the thread.

I remember times growing up when I had a lot of anxiety about random things - my parents' dying in a car wreck and me being taken to live elsewhere, etc. So, I think that anxiety could easily happen in children and make them feel like they need to take advantage of food supplies.

In regards to the 4yo: On the other hand, I also used to cover bread with a thick layer of sugar and eat it. We didn't have sweets in the house, so I compensated. So, if your children have the type of sweet tooth that I have, then they will find a way. In which case, I would find a way to add some nice sweet desserts into the house. It can be healthy, but should satisfy a sweet tooth.

that's all I've got.. hope that helps and hope that you don't think I'm insinuating anything.. just thoughts.. because forums are full of thoughts.

my 4 nieces moved out 2 months ago + we have a new baby and dh went back to work after 2 years home, so yeah big changes.
we do have sweets. popsicles 4+ times a week, homemade desserts once or twice a week. dh brings them candy and junk once or twice a week, but yes she has a huge sweet tooth(like me lol) and thats what she goes after if she can reach it. i did skip buying popsicles at the store today even though we are out bc of the choco chips and such:hide: maybe that was the wrong move but i cant have her eating that much sugar at once:eek:

alwaysfallingup 07-18-2012 08:59 PM

I know your situation is different, but maybe a similar set-up would work. For one of our foster kids, we set him up with his own cabinet with healthy snacks. We showed him it was there, kept it stocked, and he could get things out of it whenever he wanted. At first, he snacked and checked it a lot, then he just looked in at it, and eventually seemed to forget all about it once he was settled in, more secure, and knew the routine.

Maybe all the changes in your home have the LOs feeling insecure and just knowing you are aware of it and making some concessions to it could be enough to get them back to routine.

shortcake2386 07-18-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysfallingup (Post 15421771)
I know your situation is different, but maybe a similar set-up would work. For one of our foster kids, we set him up with his own cabinet with healthy snacks. We showed him it was there, kept it stocked, and he could get things out of it whenever he wanted. At first, he snacked and checked it a lot, then he just looked in at it, and eventually seemed to forget all about it once he was settled in, more secure, and knew the routine.

Maybe all the changes in your home have the LOs feeling insecure and just knowing you are aware of it and making some concessions to it could be enough to get them back to routine.

you know, i did that with the girls when they were 2 and 3....i forgot about that. ill work on it tomorrow. thanks for the idea. i have no issue with eating, just prefer its in the kitchen and not all over the house(bc finding a chicken sandwich under your pillow is just GROSS)

Rdesonia 07-18-2012 09:35 PM

My DS had food issues when he was younger. (He was never denied food, forced to finish his plate, etc.) The only "food restriction" was that he couldn't eat in his room. I did have a rule that he had to "taste" everything once before he said he didn't like it. He was always a skinny kid but ate all the time!

I finally decided to set him up a snack cabinet he could reach when he was 3. It had individually wrapped granola bars, little fruit cups/apple sauce, small bags of animal crackers, Cheese crackers, and juice boxes. Only his stuff was in his cabinet. I set up a fruit bowl on the table. At snack time 10 am & 3 pm, I let him pick a snack/friut of his choice. Then I let him have fruit/snacks extra when he asked as long as it wasn't 30 minutes before lunch or dinner. (If it was close to meal time, he would have to wait. I would set a timer for 30 minutes and tell him that when it dinged dinner/lunch would be ready. After dinner/lunch if he still wanted XYZ then he could have it. We would then put that item at his spot on the table. He was fine with that and usually would put it back in his cabinet after the meal "for later" and sometimes he would eat it after he finished dinner) I let him help write a "list" of snacks/fruit he wanted when we went to the store or pick out what he wanted. (Some of it was odd... like canned beets or pickles!) I also started his bedtime routine earlier so he could eat a snack before bed.(our dinner time was 5:30 and bedtime was 8:00. He would be hungry by bedtime. I also started giving him a glass of whole milk at bedtime. (We didn't have any bedwetting issues and by 3 he was not having any night accidents). Bedtime stopped being a hassle because he wanted to take his bath, get on his pj's and get his milk & snack! Then he'd brush his teeth and go right to sleep!

I tried to give him some control as I had a friend (psychology major)tell me that food/potty issues are often control/insecurity issues with kids. (We had just moved and he switched daycares.)