Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Milk needed during the day/Pumping enough (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1421196)

Liadan23 07-18-2012 04:21 PM

Milk needed during the day/Pumping enough

i'm sorry if this seems jumbled, it's only my 3rd day back to work, and i'm a little overemotional about everything right now....so bear with me. :) basically, i wohm full time, and i just went back after maternity leave, my baby is 6 weeks old. i'm trying to get an idea of how much milk i SHOULD need for my baby while i'm at work all day (like how much each feeding approx?) and also get some tips on keeping up with her.

with my son, i was first of all able to stay out on maternity leave for 12 weeks instead of 6. but since my leave was all unpaid this time and dh wasn't working.....here i am :cry: i figured, 3 oz or so, every 2-3 hours, roughly 3 bottles a day (i'm gone for about 10 hours, and i feed her right before i leave). i was never able to keep up with ds's demand, and i had no freezer stash, and so i had to supplement his daycare feedings with formula right from the start. it sucked, but it was fine. i usually pumped 3oz 3 times a day. this time, i was really hoping that i would be able to keep up with her demand since she SHOULD be eating less (right?!) and i was hoping that with experience behind me i could find a way. but she's eating 3 oz and has gone through 4 bottles the last 2 days. today, she's had 5 so far, and i still have 2 more hours before i can leave. this seems like a lot to me.....and at this rate the small stash i was so proud of myself for building during maternity leave will be gone in a matter of weeks. she's been extra fussy and up a lot, which is very unlike her. but obviously being with new people, in a new loud environment is going to take some getting used to (she started daycare monday, because dh unexpectedly got a job and ALSO started monday....we are all kinds of stressed over here). and then, she gets home with dh before i do, eats (usually she's frantic like an hour before i can leave, so i can't ask him to make her wait), and passes out before i even get there and sleeps all evening. i usually wake her after ds goes to bed and attempt to coax her to nurse before she passes out again and sleeps all night long :banghead: i'm sooooo worried that she's too young for this and bf'ing is going to fail. *sob* ds was fine, besides the supplementing during the day, but i feel like he was so much older and better established at nursing!

anyways, all that to say, i can NOT keep up with this and i'm just beside myself. is she eating too much? how do i figure out if she's being overfed or if she really needs that much that often? how much do you usually put in the bottles you send? i hate to do it in 1 oz increments, sheesh i'd have to send every bottle i own. even 2 oz increments, just to make sure she's not getting to much. if she is, how to explain to the care provider? when i talk about this with dh or my mom, they act like i want to starve her for my own personal gain (apparently pumping is a selfish act on my part when i could just do formula....). i don't! but i feel like i could keep up if i just had some HELP and if everyone else treated the bm with the same careful consideration i do before giving her "just one more bottle" but i don't know how to explain that in a way that doesn't make me sound crazy and controlling.

also, any tips for getting enough to keep up with her demand? i know people irl, and see people on here who have all been able to pump enough while at work during the day to keep up with baby and i have to ask HOW?! i usually pump for 15 minutes every 3 hours, and get 2-3 oz. this is supposed to be a normal amount. so if that's normal how are all these people pumping enough to keep their babies in milk while they're gone?!? do you pump more often for less time? add extra session in the morning and at night? (and if so, how do you find time?) any tips would be sooo appreciated! sorry this got so long, i'm just kind of a mess right now :(

Rdesonia 07-18-2012 04:48 PM

Re: Milk needed during the day/Pumping enough

With DS, I could not keep up with what he needed when I worked. I supplemented with formula. I didn't know anyone that pumped or BF back then. He went through maybe one can a month. I sent 2oz bottles/bags and explained that he was to only get 1 bottle every 2 hours. I had to bring in a printed out thing showing that was "normal" for breastfed babies. (His daycare had never had a baby that had BM and were use to Formula fed babies that ate more.) I asked that they feed the Breastmilk first and then the formula. I let him have a pacifier at Daycare so he could comfort suck. (I also only used newborn nipples. I had to replace them and complain because they would poke extra holes in them to feed the babies faster! GRR!)

I did do a few things that helped. When I got home, I BF him on only breast for his first feeding and pumped the other while he was feeding. (I would be engorged but normally he was not that hungry!) I pumped much longer than 15 minutes if I could at work. I know you are probably doing it on breaks/lunch so you don't have a choice. I drank lots of liquids! I pumped at night after he went to sleep. (He was sleeping through the night by 2 months. I would pump before I went to bed and wake up to pump.) I pumped weekends if I could and froze that for use during the week. (Usually after he ate. I would only get 1/2 to 1 oz so I just put it in a bag in the fridge and would freeze it that night when there was enough for a bottles. The extra pumping helped keep up my supply too! )

Sorry your mom and DH are not being supportive. You are not starving your baby! (This is a common theme that BFimg moms have to deal with!)

IowaGold 07-18-2012 10:06 PM

I started back to work at 6 weeks too (DD is 3 1/2 months now). By that point, I had "trained" by body to produce more than we needed in the morning. Starting at two weeks I pumped every morning after her feeding. I have leveled out at around 8-10 ounces pumped at this pump. I pumped 5 times a day when I first started back to work-I actually just dropped a pump this week. I pump for 30 minutes on my way into work, 20 minutes mid-morning, 30 minutes at lunch, 20 minutes mid-afternoon (this is the pump I just dropped), and about 25-30 minutes on the way home. Other than that first pump of the morning, I was averaging 3-4 ounces per pump. Now the last pump is 7-8 ounces since I dropped the 4th pump. For the record, I'm gone around 12 hours with my commute.

At first I left 3 ounce bottles but moved up to 4 ouncers a good month ago. Luckily DD's grandmothers are doing our daycare for now so they will refrigerate and reuse a bottle that was only partly eaten. I believe my DD has just started being able to take most of a 4 ouncer at once, otherwise she was eating 2-3 ounces every 2-3 hours. I think my DD has kind of reverse cycled as she will usually eat at least a couple of times in the evening and then 1-3 times overnight (with one more feed in the morning before work). If your DD is sleeping through the night, she'll need to eat more during the day. I'd encourage you to pump in the evening and/or before bed if she's sleeping that much. Maybe first thing in the morning too, after she eats (one is supposed to produce more in the morning).

Does your DD take a paci? That helps a ton for my DD as she loves to comfort suck. Could you have your caregiver stop after two ounces, burp your DD and then offer the paci? In any rate, the caregiver should be burping her at least every couple of ounces and just doing that might be enough to keep her from overeating (although 15 ounces would still be within normal limits for a 10 hour span-it's usually 1-1.5 ounces/hour). I've been lucky that for the most part DD has been satisfied with 12-14 ounces for 12 hours.

Palooka 07-18-2012 10:20 PM

I'm about to write my own post with my own problem, but I'll share how I got this far (pumping full-time since April):

1) Get a hospital grade double pump, if you don't already have one. I rent mine. It's worth it. Also get flanges that fit (may need to size up one or both breasts).
2) Pump every 2 hours, and continue pumping for at least 5 minutes after you think you're done.
3) Drink a lot of water, relax and look at photos of your baby. When I'm stressed I have trouble letting down.
4) Pump at home too. Ugh. I know. I hate this, but I'm now bringing my pump home at night. I pump 3-4X a day at work, then once before going to bed. This gives me a total of about 15 ounces. That pretty much covers 1 day of feedings without me. On the weekends I try to pump twice a day to build a reserve for the week ahead.
5) Take your baby to bed with you. If you have a good nighttime supply you can do dream feedings and babe might eat less during the day. there have been times that babe was too tired and I've literally pumped in bed while my hubby slept on one side and babe slept on the other. Either way you are helping your supply.

Am I sick of pumping? Yes. Totally. But I love nursing my baby when I'm not at work, and I don't want to lose my supply, so this is what I'm doing. It's such a drag at work, and I hate lugging the pump around, but the little electric ones don't work for me at all, and I can't get a good letdown with a single hand pump... so it is what it is.

dudleypippen 07-19-2012 02:19 PM

The only additional suggestion I would make to the other wonderful advice above is to finish each pumping sessions with some hand expression. Babies eat by suction and compression, and pumps work mainly by suction only. An LC told me that hand expression can increase supply 65%- not too shabby! Kellymom.com has some great information, including a handout that you can give your dcp about bottlefeeding with breastmilk. You are doing a great job and deserve some serious kudos for the effort you are making! Lots of hugs and support for you mama!

seacat 07-19-2012 02:42 PM

Lots of good advice. I've pumped successfully for two guys for two years. With one I went back at six weeks and the other I went back at 10 weeks. What type of bottles are you using? I would ensure you've got the slowest flow nipple Playtex Ventaire is the slowest I've found and that's she's being fed in an upright position. DS2 at that age took between 8-12 ounces at that age. At that age I pumped 4 x a day for 15-20 min or until the milk runs out and about a minute after that. I also pumped at home after feeding him first thing in the morning and last thing at night. We also cosleep that helped immensely in the beginning because he reverse cycled because he could eat throughout the night and it helps to signal more milk. It really helped to pump up the freezer stash. Now at 8 months he's taking between 16-20 oz a day. Things that help supply that I try to eat on a daily basis are oatmeal and brewers yeast particulary brewer yeast. Good luck and hugs to you. Oh and if you can swing it get a Medela Freestyle. It has made pumping so, much easier and I found it to be stronger and helped to increase my supply more than a hospital grade pump did.

palsmama 07-19-2012 02:51 PM

I haven't read all the responses. But you should leave about 1-1.5 oz for every hour your gone. Make sure the care provider isn't over feeding your dd. only allow no more than 4 oz bottles but at this age I would suggest 3 oz bottles. Teach the slow flow baby lead feeding. Breast babies like to take a bottle very fast cause it's flow is easier. Also, they act hungry after a feeding because usually nursing takes longer and they are used to sucking longer. It truly is a slippery slope for working moms. They feel pressured to keep up with the demand of their babies while at work and someone else is over feeding their babies. Kellymom is a great site for info on pumping and how much baby should be taking in :) hang in there and pump every 2-3 hours at work and you should do great!
P.s sorry you had to go back so early:(

hscannon 07-20-2012 11:23 AM

Mama, please don't beat yourself up! You are doing great and doing the best you can for your little one, so please be proud of yourself! I am also a full-time working mom, whose babies go to daycare. I have a 2 1/2 yo daughter and 4 month old son, and with both children returned to work at 9 weeks.

Don't be afraid to communicate your feelings to the daycare providers. I know it can feel controlling sometimes to tell them how to care for babies when it's their job, but she's your daughter and you still know what's best. They've cared for breastfed babies before, but sometimes need reminding that breast milk is precious and breast fed and formula fed infants are a little different. Let them know that your daughter is exclusively breastfed and that your goal is to continue breastmilk only. Do they give you a sheet at the end of the day detailing her day...what time she slept, what time she ate, how many ounces she took at each feeding. If they are not currently giving you a detailed sheet, then ask them to provide you with that information. That way you can look at her patterns and see if it differs from what you are seeing at home. For example, if they are feeding her less than 2 hours after the last feed maybe it's just for comfort and not hunger. Are they discarding milk that isn't consumed in a feeding? Make them aware that it's okay to keep expressed breast milk that isn't consumed in one feeding to use in the next feeding.

Typically, a breast fed baby will consume 1 oz to 1.5 oz of expressed breast milk per hour while away from mom at daycare, so your daughter would typically be expected to drink 10 to 15 ounces during your 10 hours at work.

You mention that she often is asleep by the time you get home from work. If she is predictably sleeping all evening, then add another pumping session at home before you go to bed, and do this on the weekend too. With my first child, my supply dipped at one point and I started pumping before bed and sometimes awakening early to pump a couple hours before she had her morning feed. Not ideal my mommy's sleep, but it helped increase my supply. I also took Fenugreek supplements with my first child which boosted my supply. Make sure you are staying hydrated...I have a 32 oz water bottle that I fill up 3 times while I'm at work. You might try looking at pictures of your LO while you pump to help stimulate letdown. Do breast massage while you pump to help get more milk. I pump with a Medela PISA and will press the letdown button midway through each pumping session to stimulate a second letdown which helps me get more milk.

Hope that helps! Hang in there!

hscannon 07-20-2012 11:24 AM

Mama, please don't beat yourself up! You are doing great and doing the best you can for your little one, so please be proud of yourself! I am also a full-time working mom, whose babies go to daycare. I have a 2 1/2 yo daughter and 4 month old son, and with both children returned to work at 9 weeks.

Don't be afraid to communicate your feelings to the daycare providers. I know it can feel controlling sometimes to tell them how to care for babies when it's their job, but she's your daughter and you still know what's best. They've cared for breastfed babies before, but sometimes need reminding that breast milk is precious and breast fed and formula fed infants are a little different. Let them know that your daughter is exclusively breastfed and that your goal is to continue breastmilk only. Do they give you a sheet at the end of the day detailing her day...what time she slept, what time she ate, how many ounces she took at each feeding. If they are not currently giving you a detailed sheet, then ask them to provide you with that information. That way you can look at her patterns and see if it differs from what you are seeing at home. For example, if they are feeding her less than 2 hours after the last feed maybe it's just for comfort and not hunger. Are they discarding milk that isn't consumed in a feeding? Make them aware that it's okay to keep expressed breast milk that isn't consumed in one feeding to use in the next feeding.

Typically, a breast fed baby will consume 1 oz to 1.5 oz of expressed breast milk per hour while away from mom at daycare, so your daughter would typically be expected to drink 10 to 15 ounces during your 10 hours at work.

You mention that she often is asleep by the time you get home from work. If she is predictably sleeping all evening, then add another pumping session at home before you go to bed, and do this on the weekend too. With my first child, my supply dipped at one point and I started pumping before bed and sometimes awakening early to pump a couple hours before she had her morning feed. Not ideal my mommy's sleep, but it helped increase my supply. I also took Fenugreek supplements with my first child which boosted my supply. Make sure you are staying hydrated...I have a 32 oz water bottle that I fill up 3 times while I'm at work. You might try looking at pictures of your LO while you pump to help stimulate letdown. Do breast massage while you pump to help get more milk. I pump with a Medela PISA and will press the letdown button midway through each pumping session to stimulate a second letdown which helps me get more milk.

Hope that helps! Hang in there!

mamma_z 07-22-2012 07:53 PM

I second the slow flow nipple (we used a preemie nipple) and cosleeping suggestions (if you are comfortable with cosleeping). DS fed mostly at night so he only needed 8-10 oz while I was gone. I was able to pump twice as much as he actually consumed and built up a stash of frozen milk (which I was preparing for the possibility of a drop in supply when my period came back).