Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Does your child know how to dial 911? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1421326)

solarbabies 07-18-2012 09:08 PM

Does your child know how to dial 911?

How old? Do they know what to say or when they should use it? Do they know how to use the phone good enough? Like a cell phone or a landline?

Watching a show and a 3.5 yo calls 911 for his mom from a cell phone. Just wondering if a 3.5 yo would know how to do that?

pcjs 07-18-2012 09:34 PM

Re: Does your child know how to dial 911?

I've thought about that. My son could dial if I told him the numbers but I don't know if he knows the on button yet but knowing him, he'd find it. He knows the off button. I could see a 3.5 year old doing that easily.

maramarrie 07-18-2012 11:24 PM

DS is not quite 3.5 (birthday is early March) and he would absolutely be able to do it if I taught him. He is very good with a phone, can now recognize all numbers 1-10, and is able to understand not "playing" with the phone. I have been meaning to teach him, but I haven't gotten around to taking the time yet, since there would need to be a lot of emphasis on "emergency" - plus I'd have to do it when little sister isn't watching, since she would get the wrong idea about the phone.

themaelane 07-19-2012 12:23 AM

My DD is not quite 3. I've not taught her that yet, but she knows the numbers, knows how to turn on my phone, and do any of the following: call her daddy (by choosing his picture), open the netflix app and pick a recently waatched show, open the camera and use it or go to pictures and scroll through them....you get the point. I'm not trying to boast, I sometimes wish she didn't know how to use it. But I'd say its definitely possible to happen.

Computermama 07-19-2012 05:51 AM

My oldest would know how if I was able to tell her, but I've never discussed it with her. I should probably do that.

willownz 07-19-2012 05:55 AM

Nope but that is because we dial 111 for emergency. Actually my kids couldn't at all. You can't ring 111 on our home phone as we use Voip and it won't route. I need teach them to dial emergency on our mobiles.

Kiwl Mum of three.

alyssa&rylan's-mommy 07-19-2012 06:51 AM

My almost 5 year old knows, and I plan to teach my 3.5yo soon.

mamashhon 07-19-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Computermama
My oldest would know how if I was able to tell her, but I've never discussed it with her. I should probably do that.

This. My oldest learned at about 5 I guess at school. But then he would threaten to call 911 on me when he was mad or in trouble :giggle:

I haven't discussed it with my 4yo. I need to though. He has autism so IDK if he'd truly understand. I have taught him our complete address though just in case.

Eta we only have cell phones, no land lines. But my oldest could totally manage it.

nonipie 07-19-2012 09:19 AM

I had really scary health problems after DD was born so I made a sign for DS (3 at the time) with 911 and our address on it, taped it up next to the phone table and we went over it every few days. It was helpful and luckily he has never needed to use it. I actually just went over it again recently and he is now 5 and had him show me how he would reach the phone and how to press the talk button and wait for the dial tone, discussed what types of scenario would be an emergency etc. I think I learned around this age too.

happysmileylady 07-19-2012 09:37 AM

My 3.5 yr old could find the numbers on the phone. However, she's too shy to be capable of answering the questions. She can barely talk to DH, me or my mom on the phone, and pretty much won't respond to anyone else. If a stranger on the phone said "What's your name" she would not answer. Nor could she tell them her address, although that's because we haven't worked on address yet.