Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Please reassure me that babe isn't starving (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1421331)

Palooka 07-18-2012 09:34 PM

Please reassure me that babe isn't starving

How much breast milk should a 6 month old boy eat? Here's the breakdown:
Nurse 4:45am-6:45am
Bottles 8am-6pm 12-15 ounces total
Nurse 6:30pm

When using the hospital-grade double pump I get at least 3 ounces, and as much as 5 if I'm really full. So even my most optimistic estimate puts his food intake at barely 25 ounces. That seems so low.

In all fairness babe seems awesome. He's pulling up and cruising unassisted at 6 months, eating solids, very alert. But he's below the 1% for weight. At his 5 month he was only 13 pounds and hadn't yet doubled his birth weight. He's always been small, even in utero, but I'm worried my insistence on breastfeeding is keeping him tiny. There's milk in the freezer, so it's not like he's ever crying for food and doesn't get it, but I worry he should be getting more and he's just not asking for it.

Also, I'm getting burned out on pumping 3-4 times a day at work, then again at night, and I am finding it harder and harder to let down. Tonight I had to give him a bottle for the first time because I just couldn't let down for him when I got home. I pumped late at work and barely 2 hours had passed, so I guess that's normal, but it was upsetting. I also had to come home a couple days ago because I was so stressed at work I spent 2 pump sessions getting nothing. As soon as I nursed it was a flood of milk.

My questions:
Should I try giving him a bottle after breastfeeding to see if he's not getting enough?
At what point do you consider formula?
Can I do anything else to up my supply? I can't possibly pump any more, and I'm hydrating and usually watch videos of babe while I pump.
What if I don't let down for him? What can I do?

keen1981 07-18-2012 09:38 PM

Sounds perfect :)

Go to the milk calculator at kellymom.com

Honestly it's right about where it should be. With Breastmilk his need does not increase in quantity

I would not change a thing. If he is happy and meeting milestones, he is doing fabulous.

Palooka 07-18-2012 09:53 PM

Re: Please reassure me that babe isn't starving

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981 (Post 15421935)
Sounds perfect :)

Go to the milk calculator at kellymom.com

Honestly it's right about where it should be. With Breastmilk his need does not increase in quantity

I would not change a thing. If he is happy and meeting milestones, he is doing fabulous.

Thank you so much. :goodvibes: I'm pumping right now, and no joke I let down after reading that it seems like enough. Is that gross? TMI? lol. My let downs have become really mental lately. :dunno:

keen1981 07-18-2012 09:55 PM

:) you are welcome. It's common for you to question this stage. Especially as some moms will tell you their babies guzzle 40oz. It's not necessary. Breastmilk changes. But some babies will eat.eat.eat,eat. Beyond nutritional need. They are studying over eating at bottle to being overweight children. Suggesting that the brain and body learns to require that over stuffed, gonna burst feeling. Anywho. You got this mama. You are doing beautifully.

Madame Medina 07-19-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenn.mcc (Post 15421921)
My questions:
Should I try giving him a bottle after breastfeeding to see if he's not getting enough?
At what point do you consider formula?
Can I do anything else to up my supply? I can't possibly pump any more, and I'm hydrating and usually watch videos of babe while I pump.
What if I don't let down for him? What can I do?

1. I would not try and give him a bottle after breastfeeding. If he is still giving you hunger cues then I would continue to allow him to suckle at your breast. Even if he's not making distinct swallowing sounds. That extra stimulation will cue your body to produce more milk.
2. Yes, there are somethings you can do to increase your supply, like taking herbal supplements etc. Kellymom has some great suggestions for increasing milk supply.
3. If you're having trouble letting down trying bring your baby into the bath with you to nurse. Sometime a change of scenery and a calming bath can help. In my experience when I stressed over any act of breastfeeding I would tend to make the problem worse. Hyper focusing on what I ever I thought the problem was and tense up.

But to be completely honest, it sounds like your doing a great job at providing what he needs. Your little guy is blessed to have a mama who loves him so much.

Palooka 07-19-2012 03:08 PM

Thanks mamas. I know some babies have to be on the low end of the curve... that's how bell curves work after all. But I hate that it's my baby!