Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Talk to me about cartoons... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1421388)

dancermommy1 07-19-2012 06:33 AM

Talk to me about cartoons...

:giggle:

We're pretty much a zero-tv family during the day when DS is awake, especially have been up to this point... but he's two now, and I don't see the harm in some cartoons here and there. Especially when I need to get something done :thumbsup:

Plus, there's something nostalgic for me about cartoons on a Saturday morning, and I'd also like to be able to snuggle in for an occasional movie with DS.

BUT. We don't have cable and we do not have netflix or internet tv or any of that. SO, we've been restricted to "Martha Speaks" and "Curious George" which are fine, but they really don't capture DS's interest at age two. Curious George does for a little bit, but not very long.

My questions are... What cartoons do your 2-3 year olds love? What cartoons do YOU love (haha)? Did you encourage specific cartoons? If you don't have cable, do you get your cartoons/movies on dvd instead? When did your little ones get to where they could watch an animated movie?

So far, we have the following either on itunes (so we can watch when travelling on the plane) or on dvd: A whole season of YoGabbaGabba, which DS likes to watch here and there; a dvd of classic Mickey Mouse "small world" episodes; a DVD of Mickey Mouse clubhouse Halloween theme (I love halloween & want him to figure out what it is before October, haha); and the "Elmo's Potty Time" sesame street dvd. MIL gave me a couple others, but I can't think what they are--I think one is bob the builder and not sure about the other.

My delimna is I'm a HUGE Scooby Doo fan, and I would LOVE to get DS interested in Scooby Doo because I could literally watch it all day long. Only the original series, though, from the 70s, not the ones with "scrappy" in them from the late 80s. I'm thinking about buying a 4 dvd box set with the entire first two seasons. When would he be old enough to get into those, you think?

Also... any recommendations of an animal planet dvd for kids (or itunes download)? He loves to watch animals on tv, but we don't have animal planet and while we do have the "Planet Earth" series on DVD, frankly he just can't pay attention to the voice over and the pan outs of the environment. He just wants to see monkeys. :giggle2:

Thanks! I am really looking forward to when we can snuggle up and watch the first Harry Potter (my all time favorite HP movie), Scooby, Charlie Brown "great pumpkin", and other classics like that... :-)

Mom2Connor 07-19-2012 06:41 AM

Re: Talk to me about cartoons...

I am probably not the norm here, because we do TV for our DS (he is 23 mo) and have been for awhile now. I usually turn on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or Doc McStuffins (that one is so cute!). DH picks either of those, or he also lets DS watch Scooby Doo (yes DS absolutely into it!) and also Looney Toons which I think it just so dumb and I hate when he turns it on for DS....we are not one of those that thinks all TV has to be educational (I do believe in fun, and just relax time, not everything is about "educating" IMHO) but I really don't care for Looney toons. DH grew up watching the typical Saturday morning cartoons, so it's his flashback to mindnumbing dumb cartoons. Myself, I didn't grow up watching that kind of stuff so I steer clear of it because I just don't see the humor in it YKWIM?

Lanasmom 07-19-2012 06:44 AM

Sid the Science kid is a good one for that age. Martha and George seem to be a bit over my 2 year old's head, but he likes Sid

alyssa&rylan's-mommy 07-19-2012 07:24 AM

I agree, Doc McStuffins is an adorable one! My 3.5 yo DS loved Handy Manny at that age (and still does) and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. He didn't really get into Scooby Doo until he was 3 or so, but he loves it now and so does my almost 5yo DD.

Rhianna'sMommy 07-19-2012 07:34 AM

Ds's favortie shows are Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Team Umizoomi. My girls loved Dora at 2.

dancermommy1 07-19-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanasmom (Post 15422707)
Sid the Science kid is a good one for that age. Martha and George seem to be a bit over my 2 year old's head, but he likes Sid

I've never heard of Sid, so I will check it out on itunes or youtube. Yes, I think Martha & George require to much concentration---i.e. ability to pay attention to story lines. Martha seems more like it is for a 5-6 year old age group, and George for at least the 3-4 age crowd.

Arabesque 07-19-2012 07:50 AM

My DS loves Astro Boy.

badmisterkitty 07-19-2012 08:02 AM

Lots of parents are annoyed as all getout with this one, but our kids (4 & 2) love Calliou on PBS. And Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. *I* love the Backyardigans, but that might be a bit above the 2yo range.

maddys_mama 07-19-2012 08:57 AM

My 2 year old loves Dinosaur Train.

Fairycat 07-19-2012 09:04 AM

Not cartoon but we like Yo Gabba Gabba. We actually started with movies for DS, he loved most of the Pixar stuff, especially Nemo and Toy Story. not educational, but a nice treat.