Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Needed: easy shower app that travels well (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1421452)

DottieHarley 07-19-2012 09:18 AM

Needed: easy shower app that travels well

I am attending a bridal shower for a friend in a couple weeks (i am a bridesmaid but it's basically all being handled by MOH). The bmaids are all bringing apps and light finger foods. I have said that i will bring cheese straws with old bay but want to bring something else as well. So far we have meatballs, fruit salad, chicken pita wraps, crab dip, brie and mini hot dogs.
Long story short i will be driving to babysitter's very, very slowly so that DD can nap, meaning that these apps need to be able to maintain in a car and then sitting on a table, for about 4 hours. Any suggestions for easy (and hopefully not too expensive) snacky type things? No dietary restrictions, bride does not like spicy.

babynme8 07-19-2012 10:31 AM

Re: Needed: easy shower app that travels well

What about a cheese ball? I think if you wrap it in plastic wrap and then put in large zip lock bag it would do fine in a small cooler with an ice pack. Here are a few of my favs:

Simple Cheese Ball
2 - 8oz pkg. cream cheese (room temp)
1 - 8oz. shredded cheddar cheese (room temp)
3 teaspoons lemon juice
3 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Combine with hand mixer or food processor until creamy. With plastic wrap form into a ball. Serve with crackers.

Fruited Cheese Ball
1 - 8oz cream cheese (room temp)
1/4 cup raisins (I leave these - hate raisins)
1/4 cup of coconut shreeded coconut
1 - 8oz can crushed pineapple drained
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 cup of any flake cereal with almonds crushed to equal 3/4 cups( I use Special K vanilla almond)
Combine cream cheese, raisins, coconut, almond extract & 1/2 cup of crushed cereal. Mix Well. Refrigerate for 30min and then form into ball, roll in remaining 1/4 cup cereal. Serve with wheat crackers.

momchos 07-19-2012 11:03 AM

It's not for everyone but it is SO good. Spinach Dip.

The recipe I use is of the Knorr variety with some variations. It could easily be made, put in a tupperware container, thrown in a cooler, and then put in a nice dish when you get there with some pita chips or even wheat thins or something.

INGREDIENTS
2 packages (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
1 container (16 oz.) plain greek yogurt
1 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
1 package KnorrŪ Vegetable recipe mix (or 2 packages if you want a stronger flavor)
1 can (8 oz.) water chestnuts, drained and chopped (optional)
some salt/pepper to taste

PREPARATION
Combine all ingredients and chill about 2 hours. Serve with your favorite dippers to your favorite people.
A new serving idea: Hollow out cucumber slices and cherry tomatoes. Fill vegetables with Knorr Spinach Dip and garnish with a sprig of dill.

Type1Mama 07-19-2012 12:32 PM

Maybe just a simple veggie platter? Or, you could do little shortbread cookies or homemade spiced/seasoned nuts.