Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   1.5 y.o. & 3 y.o. sharing a room = nap/rest time help (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1421632)

MamaNotes 07-19-2012 04:30 PM

1.5 y.o. & 3 y.o. sharing a room = nap/rest time help

I have 2 boys, my 20 month old takes a great nap every day, usually 2.5-3 hours. My 3 year old naps occasionally, usually if he wakes up at 7:30am or earlier. (Nap time is around 1pm) Even without napping, I try very very hard to encourage/make him have rest/quiet time. He needs it, and I need it to.

However, we have recently switched them so they are now sharing a room. It's been a few weeks of this. Now my 3 year old won't have quiet time and he keeps his little brother up! I have been putting them down at the same time, and they play/talk together. The little one lays down in his crib and want to sleep, but my 3 year old is too loud and plays with him too much.

I don't know what to do!

Do I just forget nap time for the 3 y.o and just have him have quiet time downstairs? I've tried rest time in my bed and that worked once....

I really think it's important for kids to have a little bit of quiet time every day, preferably alone in their rooms :mrgreen:

keen1981 07-19-2012 04:47 PM

One naps in ur room. That's what I did. Or you put down big kid first. Then younger (quiet one) after

nicolemariep 07-19-2012 04:51 PM

Re: 1.5 y.o. & 3 y.o. sharing a room = nap/rest time help

The 1.5 year old naps in a P&P in the playroom, 3.5 year old naps/rests in his bed. If they were in there together then would be playing the whole time. Divide and conquer.

jjgammon 07-19-2012 05:30 PM

My 16 month old & 4yr old nap in the same room just fine, but he's in a crib & she's in a twin bed on the opposite side of the room. She knows she gets in BIG trouble if she talks, plays, or gets out of bed for any reason other than going to the bathroom.

She generally goes down between 3&4, and sleeps for 2-3 hours, whereas he goes down whenever he starts rubbing his eyes & getting fussy. Tends to be somewhere between 1:30 & 4ish. He'll nap about 3 hours usually.

Sent from my old beater Android with no phone service because we're THAT broke.

cristy_1996 07-19-2012 07:00 PM

If you can figure out how to make 2 boys nap in the same room, TELL ME!! lol

We had to split them up also. My boys are now 6 & 4 and DS2 goes in their room to have quiet time...naps are non existent anymore and DS1 goes into our spare room usually.

me_just_me 07-19-2012 07:12 PM

The only way I can get both to sleep in the same room is if I lay down on the floor in the room. Otherwise the 2 year old will annoy, bite, and throw things at his 4 year old sister. Then he will empty out drawers and the hamper and any thing else he can find to do that is destructive.

I end up falling asleep and getting a short nap in myself. Granted this only works if the new 2 month old baby is sleeping, otherwise I have to be with her. If that is the case, then the 4 year old sleeps in my room. This is what we did all the time before the baby arrived.

*NAK* so sorry if my post sounds choppy!

doodah 07-19-2012 07:14 PM

I have never had much success getting two kids to nap in one room and for now, my older one sleeps in my room for nap even though she and her sister share a room for bedtime.